Coral Vue Hydros

Is this Good?

C Jerome

I just got a xenia yesterday and when i got it home ther were three small anenomes on the rock,  Are they going going to spread through  my tank and kill everything?

Untitled-1.gif

whole%20anem.gif

And also i there was this slug, snail like thing on it, it does not have a snail shell but is more like a slug with a flater hard shell over it, here is a pic of the underside, it is the best i can do, i have it in a little cup thing in my tank.  

slug%20thingweb.gif

So in short what is this stuff and should i keep it, if not, how do i get rid of the anemenes ?

Thanks

C. Jerome

jjharrisx4

The anemones look like Aptaisia (sp), I would get rid of them if you can.  Pepermint shrimp usually work (opinions vary).  They are really close to your xenia, so I wouldn't try to inject them with Kalk or hot water.  Maybe you can pull/scrape them off.  If you notice...it looks like the anemone is stinging the xenia.

I'd keep the little snail critter.  I've got some and haven't had any problems so far.  Good luck!

The anemone definitely looks like aiptasia. Almost everybody has them, it's just a matter of controlling their numbers.

The snail is a Stomatella varia. They commonly come in on live rock. The good thing about these guys is that their larvae have a short, non-feeding planktonic phase, so they multiply quite easily in captivity. They have multiplied in my tank, but I generally only see them at night.

-Chris

printerdown01

Def looks like aptasia and def looks like stomatella varia! Aptasia is a pest (IMO) and stomatella varia is an active algae cleaner, and will multiply in the tank if given the chance (great algae eater!).

**d*mn looks like somebody beat me to the punch... lol don't know if they did it right before I posted or if i just skipped over it -nice job man!

(Edited by printerdown01 at 6:47 pm on June 6, 2002)

Jefe man, you are hitting the money again haha. I have one of those snails as well, more commonly known as a limpit to some... They are horny little devils becuase they are always spitting out sperm, which ends up as phyto plankton. These things are usually a good thing, however, some of these species are parasitic to corals, so just keep a watchful eye on him and if you see him nibbling, then remove him. I love the peppermint shrimp method of ridding aptasia... But don't try to rip them off,,, they are very responsive for one and if you get close they will usually retreat into their hole a bit and if you try to rip them, they release this weird goo, that probably isn't the best for your tank, and also, the tissue left that you can't pull off will regenerate into more aptasias. Good luck,

gaber

Hi, that is definately an Aiptasia.  I would attempt removal ASAP.  It seem quite close to the Xenia, and the part just to the right where the Aiptasia is touching the Xenia, it looks as though the area is damaged?

Not sure, maybe just the photo.

If you require any advice with the aiptasia removal, just email me or post a new thread.  I recently got rid of them (over 20) with 100% success.

By the way, the pics are of very good quality.

Good luck with your setup, hopefully next time we will have pics of the tank istead of possible pests. :)

look at the xenia

I personaly do not see it damages the xenia but I can be wrong

if it does some damage I think removing it with kalk will help

if it doesn't harm the xenia though...

it can be some other kinda anemone that looks like apitasia

then the removal of the anemone is not neccasary

scobri

Yes I do live in Philadelphia and i did get the Xenia from a store sort of close to my house.  It is from The Hidden Reef, in sort of the north east.  about 25 minutes from center city where i am.  THey had i think three more peices of xena like mine that looked great, and tons of other stuff, i would recomend going on wednesday because fish come on monday and corals on tuesday so on wed everything is there, on the weekend they are cleaned out.  But i would recomend it highly, the people are friendly and know alot

C. Jerome

Archived