Cultivated Reef

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

• 3 weeks later...

In your first few post back in 2005 you said the Nano Cube only allowed the moon lights to be on when the fans and other lights were on, not allowing for only moon lighting.

Does the newer generation of nano's have separate wiring for the separate lighting?

In your first few post back in 2005 you said the Nano Cube only allowed the moon lights to be on when the fans and other lights were on, not allowing for only moon lighting.

Does the newer generation of nano's have separate wiring for the separate lighting?

Not sure about nanos, but the BC 14 has a separate plug for the moonlights, and can be on without the main lights on.

Not sure about nanos, but the BC 14 has a separate plug for the moonlights, and can be on without the main lights on.

I looked up the new NC and couldn't find any direct explanation of this. I saw the new LED version and at $750 ouch. SH

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread - I've been out of the hobby for a couple years and now I am in the process of setting up a new NC28 Quad-CF. I can confirm that the moonlights are on a separate power cord.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steelhealr, I just wanted to say Thanks for creating this thread, It has sooo much good information for beginers like me, It is truely an invaluable resource of information.

After visiting my LFS last week for supplies for my FW tank, I noticed an Orca Nano set up, once I got home I googled Nano Reefs and up popped this site, I hit the beginers section and onto this thread, 58 pages later and I am so focused on going salty.

I'm not 100% sure if I will go for the Nano Cube HQI (due to heat) or the Quad but one of the other will happen soon, I'm also not sure if I will suffor the heat issues as badly here in the UK due to the far cooler ambiant temperature, or whether I should buy the HQI and enlist the help of Nanotuners to make it a better unit, oh, decisions, decisions...............

What I do know is that whilst I'm lurking on here, TFF and UR every hour I can, I am picking up a wealth of knowledge that can only be of benefit.

So thanks again Steelhealr :bowdown:

• 3 weeks later...

I have read a lot of what is on this site, thanks to all of you, many of my questions have been answered already. I have some limited (very limited) experience in saltwater tanks and have recently ordered a 28gallon JBJ CF-Quad, it should arrive in a few days.

I have live rock already that I am going to put in it, going to buy the sand and of course let it cycle and get going. My questions is about media for the filter. I have read all kids of suggestions from various sites, but often I think they are being directed at reef tanks. I am not that brave yet, mine will only have fish...at least for quiet some time.

I will have a Coral Beauty, Clown, and a few damsels. What kind of media would be recommended for this setup? I have had an algae problem in the past, is there anything you would recommend specifically to battle that? My understanding is this tank has 3 compartments in the media basket.

One last question, the light in this tank is "105 watts of high intensity daylight light output with our 10K/7100K combo compact fluorescent lamp" (their words), is that enough light to keep an Anemone?

Thanks for any advice you can give me, I am new here and really do apprecate all that I have been able to read so far.

Dave

a little help... I just got my tank set it up and tried to connect the pump elbow it's not snug at all blows off as soon as you turn the pump on... Am i missing something??/

• 4 weeks later...

Sh,

First let me say, WOW!

Second let me say, THANK YOU for updating the instructions that came with your JBJ 24. Nicely done is THE understatement of the past 6 years.

I dropped out of the SW scene about the time you entered. I've just aquired a fully stocked JBJ24 last Saturday, found your little manual update on Monday and finished reading it today.. Amazing.

While it's already up and running already, it still needed some TLC. Still had the stock black sponges in the back, fixed that already.

I've noticed it been awhile since you or anyone has posted, and since I can't acquire your Autograph, perhaps you would be so kind as to drop a note with a tank update.

Also wondering if you have any thoughts on or experence with the new LED lights for the Refg and up-top?

Hope all is going well in your life and tahnks again for sharing some of it with us all.

BRAVO! Well, Done :bowdown:

The toughest part now of keeping a nano reef is making saltwater and replacing aging parts. A mature nano tank is basically on autopilot. A refugium keeps my parameters rock stable.

The best mods for my tank, in order, were:

• discovering that the bank of the tank was vinyl and removable. This allowed external illumination of the middle chamber and a huge growth of chaeto
  • the over the wall first chamber pump allowing increased flow without drilling

Simple, right? SH

To TJ...I still think that there is nothing better than to have a large marine tank, 200G's. Wow..imagine all the life you can keep in there. Nano reefing is a challenge in the beginning and if you read and believe in statistics, I've read that out of 100 people entering aquarism, 90% will drop out in a few years. It's a labor of love.

SH

I just realized the 'sticky thing'. Shucks, folks, I"m speechless. Hey..it only happened because there were NO instructions in the Nano Cube box except to 'remove the bioballs if you are making a marine tank'. There was a time when nothing here ever got pinned.

WOW...immortality of sorts. Lgreen, sneirbo, Christopher Marks, trekbear....and cracking cubes.

SH

What are your plans for the tank?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to SW tanks... I was wondering if you can help ??? i bought my NC 24G from a friend of mine and i would like to know how to set it up properly, I see it's got 3 different filters, 3 x sponges (2 Big ones & 1 small one) and a pump. PLEASE HELP I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE STUFF GOES ??? Shane2308@yahoo.com

Edited by shane2308
Hi Everyone

I'm new to SW tanks... I was wondering if you can help ??? i bought my NC 24G from a friend of mine and i would like to know how to set it up properly, I see it's got 3 different filters, 3 x sponges (2 Big ones & 1 small one) and a pump. PLEASE HELP I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE STUFF GOES ??? Shane2308@yahoo.com

Shane,

First, Welcome to the SW world. I'd suggest you start from the beginning of this thread and work your way forward. The information that is shared here should help you get started quickly and prepair you for your venture in the Salty Side of the world

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
CaptainYooh

Our 10g nano has been cycling with live rock for 3 months now. We've added the clean-up crew two weeks ago (4 Blue Hermit crabs, 3 nerites snails, 4 purple turbo snails and 1 Peppermint shrimp).

Question: Is it OK to start adding corals now? I would appreciate a link to the forum thread that talks about adding first corals (what and how) to a new tank in detail. Please and thank you kindly.

• 3 months later...

wow i just spent like two hours maybe more reading this amazing story :) this has to be the best newb thread out there no doubt about it.....i am starting a 29 biocube in about two weeks and i have been reading/asking questions in threads and have came no where near the amount of advise i get from you 1 lol i just wanted to thank you for being so great at explaining in detail ...step by step what to do .... i hope one day that mine could look half as good....i will be following more and hope to post some Q.A for you in the future

• 3 weeks later...
wow i just spent like two hours maybe more reading this amazing story :) this has to be the best newb thread out there no doubt about it.....i am starting a 29 biocube in about two weeks and i have been reading/asking questions in threads and have came no where near the amount of advise i get from you 1 lol i just wanted to thank you for being so great at explaining in detail ...step by step what to do .... i hope one day that mine could look half as good....i will be following more and hope to post some Q.A for you in the future

It is an amazing thread. I knew the system well in another forum, but to see that it's pinned here makes me very proud. It is an inspiration to many and it has inspired me with my own system. Great work, as always, SH! :good:

Good luck with your system, bsdryder. If you use this system for advice and reference, you'll do great! :)

Liz

Thanks. Again, it all started because the small piece of paper in the nano cube box had no directions. The only thing on it said to discard the bioballs if used as a marine tank.

My clown is still alive: she (?he) is over six years old. My watchman goby is just as close. The tank has survived all this time, so, I owe it all to NR.com.

SH

Edited by steelhealr
Thanks. Again, it all started because the small piece of paper in the nano cube box had no directions. The only thing on it said to discard the bioballs if used as a marine tank.

My clown is still alive: she (?he) is over six years old. My watchman goby is just as close. The tank has survived all this time, so, I owe it all to NR.com.

SH

Haha! From no directions to 59 pages of directions and advice! Big difference.

6 years, Wow, is all I can say... If my system is half as successful as yours is, it'll be a success. :)

• 2 months later...
Hi all I am new to this site and have been reading a lot of the older posts on the JBJ nano cubes cracking. Is this an issue that has been resolved.

Thank You

I believe it is. SH

Hi there. I am just setting up my 14G Biocube. I obtained it without any instructions so am really enjoying your forums, they are very very very helpful! There are two lights on the hood. One of them is a blueish color, the other seems to turn on a fan when it is on. I have looked quite a bit and have not found any information on here so I'm finally breaking down and asking on the forum. What is each light for? And how much time is needed with each light? Thanks! B)

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic