Pod Your Reef

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

bdare....ha...thanks...nope..my 24G is still kicking after almost 3 years. All my issues have been personal with the tank..meaning...lack of time or changes in life...like...having another child. I have some long term survivors..an anchor...my clown....my watchman...a black longspine urchin almost 2 years old....an open brain....other softies and even a few hermits which came along. I run at 0 nitrates consistently.

Glad to be of help.

SH

bdare....ha...thanks...nope..my 24G is still kicking after almost 3 years. All my issues have been personal with the tank..meaning...lack of time or changes in life...like...having another child. I have some long term survivors..an anchor...my clown....my watchman...a black longspine urchin almost 2 years old....an open brain....other softies and even a few hermits which came along. I run at 0 nitrates consistently.

Glad to be of help.

SH

Ah, those changes can be tough. Best of luck and congratulations on the family expansion.

It would be great to see some more pics of your tank, but no pressure.........

masterbuilder

Hey Steel,

Glad to see you’re still kickin here every so often. I point people that are starting up a nano to this thread over and over. It's the guide I used to start my tank, you saved me countless heartaches. Many thanks man.

Mark

p.s. Give us a pic of your tank!

Thanks.....I'm deeply appreciative of that. I owe this place a pic. Hope you'll accept a few quickies for now:

Yellow Watchman, still alive after 2 years:

watchman2.jpg

watchman1.jpg

Button polyps that came in as hitchhikers:

button_polyps.jpg

My anchor now over 2 years old, pic showing growth when the coral was retracted (see the new added skeleton from the original). Yes..the urchin is also over 2 years old I think.

nano167.jpg

Yellow colony polyps

nano166.jpg

One of my nassarius snails

nassarius2.jpg

:naughtydance:

SH

Hey Steel,

Glad to see you're still kickin here every so often. I point people that are starting up a nano to this thread over and over. It's the guide I used to start my tank, you saved me countless heartaches. Many thanks man.

Mark

p.s. Give us a pic of your tank!

+1

Your thread is forever immortalized in my introduction as inspiration for converting my FW to nano-reef thanks!

Thanks.....I'm deeply appreciative of that. I owe this place a pic. Hope you'll accept a few quickies for now:

SH

Nah, IMO, you don't owe us anything. You have done quite enough by creating this legendary thread Sir.

I would not allow myself to fill my Nano Cube with water until I read the entire thread. Back then some 30 pages I think.

We really do appreciate the updates though!! :)

Thanks for everything SH!

--Richie

Hey there! This is an awesome thread, but I need some help. I just read the first 20 pages of this (up to where you found out it was cracking) and realized this thread is 55 pages long. Can anyone give me cliffnotes or important page numbers or anything? If not I will continue reading but 35 more pages is alot! Thanks,

Fellow Nano Cube 24 owner-

P.S., my tank is about a year old....should I be worrying about cracking or have they fixed this problem since this thread was started?

• 2 weeks later...
toiletkavorka

wow i finally got through reading all 55 pages

and like all those before me. . .i just wanted to extend my thanks SH

One quick question if you do not mind. . .

I am going to buy my first tank soon and my Q to you is :

If you had the 3 options between the current JBJ nano cube/ 24 Gal Aquapod/ or the 29 Gal Biocube. . .

which would you chose and why

again thanks

Cheers

If they fixed the cracking issue, I was very happy with the JBJ....it was 'easy' to mod. However, there was ONE mod which really made me quite fond of it....it was the ability to turn the middle chamber into a refugium. Since that kooky and easy mod came to light, I have been able to support a full chamber of chaeto and for over the last 2 years or so, have steadily kept a nitrate level of zero.

Just some thoughts. SH

• 2 weeks later...
PirateFish52
Still kicking and still no fatal crack. SH

I had the fatal crack with my nanocube almost 2 years to the day when I started the tank.

Luckily enough I was just starting up my 55 and the cycle was over when I transferred everything over.

That's a good thing. The amounts of cracking that occurred were rather frightening. I have a spare tank sent to me by JBJ when I first identified my crack. It's ready if there is an issue. SH

burtbollinger

mine (a 2004 era JBJ) finally had a fatal crack two months ago....along the glass bend...lost everything....restarting with a replacement 2007 JBJ and a finnex 30m.

def. have a spare tank at the ready if you have a 2004 era JBJ....

SH

I am just getting ready to venture into the SW/Nano scene and am searching for a tank. Found a 12 gal Cube Master tank at www.oceanproaquatics.com. They say that the 2008 model has been updated and many of the falts have been fixed. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this or knows if they are any good.

Thanks

JMAKIN1981

SH

I am just getting ready to venture into the SW/Nano scene and am searching for a tank. Found a 12 gal Cube Master tank at www.oceanproaquatics.com. They say that the 2008 model has been updated and many of the falts have been fixed. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this or knows if they are any good.

Thanks

JMAKIN1981

Don't own one but checkin' it out. SH

• 1 month later...
thebrainbot

SH,

This thread has been a GODSEND! Amazing work! I got through the first 22 pages. So much info, I'm going to have to go back and take notes!

I wanted to ask you a few things about the cracking NC's though... I just bought a used 24g NC and stand for $150 from a guy locally... But it's a 2005 model. No cracks and everything looks fine. He ran it stock for a few years and recently upgraded to a 100g SW setup. I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known about the issue BEFORE I bought it lol.... I just completely missed all that since it hasn't really been brought up for a few years (from what I see).

The tank also came with some LR (only a few pieces have any growth... the others look bleached) and actually had some hitchhikers in the sand! I found an emerald crab and also something else unidentified... but I think its a bad hitchhiker... Just have to find him again and match him up.

Anyway, I bought a Koralia 1 and a Jager therm. So far my tank holds at 79 or so without lights... All my freshwater tanks hold at the same temp year around (I've never needed to use a heater). I am a bit concerned that it will get too hot when I'm away at work during the week, so I'm going to check to see how hot it gets during the day with the lights on this weekend. Hopefully it will hold steady, but I can always upgrade the fans to something better I suppose.

In regards to the cracking... Since mine is in the year range that was susceptable to the problem... I'm worried that the extra 400pgh flow of the K1 will cause it to crack. What do you think? Also, is it safe to replace the pump with say, an MJ900 while the tank is full?

Seriously, this thread has been absolutely amazing. I'm glad to see that your current NC hasn't cracked any further.

As far as lighting the refugium in the 2nd chamber (I have yet to set that up) what can I use besides that light you have? I really like it but am a tad worried about the heat... I couldn't find the other light that you guys had talked about on the first dozen pages or so. Any other recommendations to light the entire length of the refugium chamber?

Thanks a bunch!

*edit*

oh yeah, the Jager is not fully submersible. I bought the 100w one. Should I exchange it for one that is fully submersible? I plan to put it in either chamber 2 or 3. Dr. S&F was amazing with shipping. I received my order in less than 24 hours! Now to go soak the hydrometer (yes... I will get a refractometer before I add fish).

Edited by thebrainbot
steelhealr

Hi Brain....I don't think any of the cracking issues were related to flow rates or temps, although, any rapid change in temperature can 'stress' glass. It was my impression from all the posts that the glass was too thin and vulnerable at the seamless corners. That...and add the shipping stress...resulted in cracks. Many of the cracks lay hidden behind the black rim, only to show up catastrophically and unexpectedly.

The external light I used is pretty 'cool' to use. It is a compact fluorescent and since it is outside the tank and a few cm's away from the glass, I don't think it impacts much on heat. THAT is one of the coolest benefits when this stupidly easy DIY came out. I see no issues re: changing the pump while full.

Any heater should be submersible up to the recommended line to avoid overheating and cracking.

Hope this helped. fingerscrossed SH

thebrainbot

Ah yeah that helps some SH. I tried to get a peak under the black molding as much as I could (without trying to move it).

I might try to find one of those lights at HD tonight while I'm getting some glue for the LR (it is recommended to glue them together right?).

On another note, think I'll hold off on the LR for a day or two. I want to refinish the stand and add some shelving.

I've got to go back and read about replacing the pumps. I'm a bit confused, are both the pumps in chamber 1 and 2 outflowing? Or does one flow into chamber 1? In the pics it looks like they are both out flowing, but I don't see how water would get into the chambers fast enough.

Would an MJ900 in chamber 3, the stock in chamber 1 and the K1 be too much flow? I think that would reach about 800 gph or so. Seems like too much for this size tank.

Also, anything else thats needs to be tested besides the specific gravity, Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate, Nitrates and PH?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic