inTank Media Baskets

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

HI,

I need a little help, I started my 12gallon on new years day and it has been about 6 months already. I have an emarald crab, a turbo, three astreas, two blue legged hermits, a nassarius, and a star. I can not get rid of my algae. I do water changes weekly and make sure all water levels are good. I practically have to scrap algae every other day to keep the glass clean. I also have to pluck algae off of my rocks about the same time. What can i do to get rid of my algae problem. I appoligize if you have already gone over this with someone else, but your thread is so giganormous :)

oh, by the way I bought that regal tang I wanted and I have had it for about two months and it is very healthy and is the same exact size when i bought him.

my tang is only about 3/4" to 1" inch(i know that isn't big)I only have one fish.

IT is from water and Ice

I understand that water from water and ice has alot of phosphates so I bought PhosGuard and i check the phosphates regularly. any other ideas?

Edited by e7046v

e70...I have to agree that the tang should not be in your tank. They are pelagic and need room to swim. As for the algae, it call comes down to water conditions, phosphate and nitrate levels, nutrient levels and whether you have a macroalgae in a refugium to compete with the algae in the tank. SH

Hey Debbeach..welcome back.How is your tank coming along? Not at the moment. I still have the replacement JBJ in my basement...never used it out of fear that THAT tank has worse markings on the glass. The basement if unfinished and was thinking of making that a prop tank someday. I'd still love to try a 30G Oceanic with a metal halide. We'll see. But...if I add another tank to the house right now, I'll come home from work and find the doors locked and my clothes strewn all over the lawn. ROFLMAO (just kidding.....or am I, lolol ) SH

Hi Steel

I have a 29 and a 10 the nano is empty in the spare bedroom. I will not bore your following with the details Ha Ha Deb

post-15762-1151104606_thumb.jpg

post-15762-1151104838_thumb.jpg

hey, whats up, ive read through this whole thing when i first got my nano cube 7 months ago. this has helped me a lot. i havnt really listened to all the things you have said but most of them. the water changes so frequently when you first start the tank up will hurt the tank for getting mature faster. well i guess im not one to talk because i put way to many fish in at once at the begining that most of the died. well i learned my lesson and now i just have one fish and some hairy mushrooms. and a little polp frag. not much but its what i can afford that wont die on me. im letting my tank mature as much as possible right now until i put anymore live things into it. i just bought the maxi jet 1200 to replace the old pump and wow, much better. i also just put the hydor flo on, pretty cool little device. i then put the stock pump in the second chamber and when i got home today, the thermometer read almost 86 degrees. i turned everything off and took the pump out. maybe itll go down to a good temp but im not sure how u keep ur temp so perfect all the time.

Hey SH,

Nice to see your thread is still alive and well. Belated congrats on the one year anniversary. I've recently given up on my 12G JBJ NC. Back in the 80's my first tank was a 70g FOWLR and it was sooo much easier to take care of. The little nanos are definitely more work. My schedule made it difficult to care for it and my water params were up and down. Hair, Aiptasia and the red slime are now taking over. It still has it's original lights from May, 2005. I'm sure that isn't helping things.

Back in Feb, I started a 55g and recently moved my 1+ yr old Yellow Watchman Gobie, Tiger Pistol and Ocellaris to the new tank. I also moved all my Rics and my huge Hammer. The Hammer was and still is the centerpiece of the new tank.

While a 55g is nowhere near ideal for a reef (too narrow), I am able to manage it much better. I now have HO T5 lighting, a 20g sump/fuge, an Octopus NW150 skimmer, auto-topoff, kalk reactor, UV sterilizer and >1000gph flow. I had two 175w 10,000k MH bulbs but replaced them with the T5s. The T5s are amazing and I had to acclimate all the LPS and softies. Current stock: 12 SPS, 4 LPS, several zoanthid colonies, two star polyp colonies, 8 Rics, one Gorgonian, four fish (Gobie, Firefish, 6-line, Royal Gramma), one Emerald Mithrax and two tiny Red Mithrax Crabs, lots of snails and hermits. Unfortunately, my Ocellaris recently died. He never found a real home in the new tank. In the old one, he was hosted by a couple of large Rics and even a Candycane. In the new tank he ate like crazy but always seemed to struggle with the current. I am going to stick with nano-sized fish in this tank and will add a couple more. I considered a Tang, but the only safe Tang for a 55 is a yellow. All others need more room. BTW, the Candycane is still in the nano. It's base is covered with bubble algae and I'm not about to put that into the new tank. Even in the current horrible water, it contnues to grow. I also had to leave behind some Zoanthids because there is Aiptasia all over the LR where they reside. I may try to remove some single polyps and attach them to plugs or LR.

One of my daughters has expressed interest in the nano. She wants to turn it into a Sea Horse tank. I really don't have the time to maintain two tanks. Especially something as fragile as a Sea Horse tank and as demanding as a nano. Maybe, I can make a small topoff system for it and pull it off. I'm hoping she'll decide on freshwater;)

steelhealr

Limulus..thanks for coming back and keeping in touch. Nano's are definitely difficult and, as we all know, as they get older they DO mature but lots of other sneaky little issues sink in. Similar to you, I've had professional time limits and a growing family and it's been difficult to keep up with but I do the best I can. So far, my sixline and perc are original survivors and doing well. I, too, hope to get a larger tank someday when the right time arrives. WTG. SH

Hey, SH, good to see this thread is still going strong. Hard to believe that my first post was May 3 of last year. Still have my 24DX up and running though I haven't added anything in 8 to 10 months. Of all things I just saw a new hitchhiker today...a small white crab. Just goes to show you that you never know what will happen if you just wait. That's still the best advise for anyone starting out.

I only pop in once every 2 to 3 months to check on things and get an update on this thread, so I'm glad to see you're still here. Good luck and good health to you and the family....Trumph.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW- Just read 51 pages in a day (lol)

I had started w/6 gal nano - it cracked- LFS upgraded my te a NEW 12g Nano

I had switched over all the 6gl rock(cured- & live sand) and left everything stock until I cycle- with the exception of the hydor-flo outtake

been about 3 weeks now and just started lighting this week (temp has been real high(84-85) but weve been in the middle of a 110+ degree week- now running about 82 - hoping it drops a bit- )

Ive used RO from the LFS and premixed Seawater- now the out break....

DSCF0032.jpg

clean-up crew time or larger problem??

I have Chem-Pure and Seagel & Purigen waiting in the wings- planning on moving to the refugium in chamber 2 on wed...

• 2 weeks later...

Sh, you're a great guy. I'm heading down to the LFS tomorrow to pick up my tank. Should be a good project for me and dad since at one point he had a 300g FW tank as well as 4 30's, and 2 20's. Its gonna be interesting taking on a Reef.

• 3 weeks later...

SH, it took me a while, but I finally got through reading all this. Thank you for what you have done here. I am going to be setting up a 20G AGA this week and I know this will be the first place I look for reference. A few pages back, someone asked about setting you up with that 30G Oceanic. If others read this and are interested, count me in. I'll check back in with you when I get mine started. Thanks again.

Hi S, big hello from across the pond, if I wasnt so far away Id be making the trip to shake your hand, classic thread - long may it thrive.

I've just ordered a D&D NC (D&D sole importers now over here) and have read all your posts with much interest. I can't believe that I only have come up with a couple of questions, but then everything youve shared has been in such detail.

I intend to use purigen and rowaphos in chamber 1 (can't seem to source chemi pure or sea gel over here- whats their added value?) am I riight in thinking that they dont get put in from the start but only afeter cycling has been completed? Do you see any use for a polyfilter or reef carbon in the system (I wont be skimming).

think i read that you have 3lbs rubblle in Ch2, btu then thought youd filled it with cheato - have you ditched teh rubble?

Whats the depth of your bed, think youve used 13lb of substrate, I was think along the lines of 20lbs. Is the Caribsea ok fro sand dwellers as opposed to sugar sand or is that too fine.

Appreciate your time in replying , keep up the good work - guesss I've gained more of an insight into nano reefign from this thread than any amount of £££ spent on a book - thanks again

Keith

SH - sorry one last thing - doing the bulkhead fit for the stock pump into chamber 1. Why cant you just drill a hole and silocone some appropriate diameter pipe into it?

cheers

Keith

Edited by rockpoolie

Have got it now and doing dry run with F/W stcok pump replaced with MJ12 and stock in chamber 1 but have a problem with the levels. CAn you tell me where they should be. With the stcck in ch1 and the surface skimmer fitted level in 1 is about half way and chamber 2&3 about level with the slot from 2-3. ANy suggestions?

SanDiego_NanoReef
Ive used RO from the LFS and premixed Seawater- now the out break....

DSCF0032.jpg

clean-up crew time or larger problem??

If your ammonia and nitrites are low, then it's time for the clean up crew. Looks like your tank is cycling nicely and you're having your first algae bloom.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey SH, don't let the thread die....its like another one of your kids, a pain in the ass at times but quite incredible at others.

Not SH here..but have had a 24DX going for over 1 1/2 years. Did a ton of mods to mine and found out that if I was starting over again that maximizing your live rock poundage and including Chaeto in the FIRST rear chamber would be my recommendations. The reason for putting the Chaeto in the first chamber is that it will minimize its growth in the main tank as Chaeto has a nasty habit of getting through your pump (or pumps, I had three) in your third chamber and growing all over your main tank. I have even needed to remove certain corals and remove the Chaeto which looked like it was strangling them. A Poly-Filter pad trimmed to fit on the downstream side of your Chaeto will serve a two-fold pupose of containing the Chaeto and also removing the phosphates caused by overfeeding. After the Chaeto becomes established you will have no need for the filter pads but will have to discard your excess growth of Cheato every month or so. If your Cheato is illuminated it will grow so fast that it becomes as dense or denser than the sponges everyone has told you to remove.

The LR poundage is to maximixe filtratrion, an extra 3-5 pounds(or more in my case) in the rear chambers increases the surface area for the beneficial bactiria. Its the only filter system I have in my tank.

I ended up with over 900gph and an additional 70w metal halide along with 72W PC in mine. The other chemical assists that I and others have used (poly-filter, purigen, rhophos, chempure, etc) and those other mods become moot after just letting your tank evolve into what you're looking for. I have a tank where I throw out Xenia weekly and give away my excess mushrooms, both of which multiply like weeds. My Clowns are still healthy after 16 months and my Acro and Monti (SPS)are fragged about every three months.

You are creating an environment that you want. The last advice I wanted to hear was "take your time" . But I want it now!!

Doesn't happen....

Rock...you are doing great, if the water level is allowing your skimmer to work than all is good in the world. Plus SH did all his mods without modifiing anything..if you want to drill, have at it. Your plan will work fine.

Farmer.. Your diatom outbreak is looking great also, consider it a rite of passage into the salt water communtiy.

Don't worry, you won't hurt that box of water. .

See ya in a couple of months.(maybe sooner).....Trumph

• 2 months later...

great read! I have a 14 biocube and have a couple noob questions for anyone willing to answer.

First off. I bought my cube today from my lfs. I bought cured 10lbs LR, LS, and used SW directly from their tanks. With this deal they included a clown fish. They assured me the tank will be fully cycled upon setting it up, which was done within 15min of leaving the store. This sound true to ya'll?

ok couple other questions

I am running it fully stock now, but plan on doing a couple mods in the future. Taking out the bioballs, sponge..etc. But my question is, do ya'll take out the filter media from the first chamber? It's almost like a cartridge type deal.

lights, my tank came stock with 24wat 10,000k a 24wat actinic, and 2 led lunar lights. The two 24 wat lights have seperate switches to turn on and off and the lunar lights are always on(no switch for them). What rotation should I run the lights at? like when and how long on each one?

The cassette surface skimmer...what exactly does this do and how do you position the case on the intake? I have read everywhere but just can't find out what this does. It seems to me like it would do the same exact thing.

and last for now, the clown is very very small, only other creatures I have in there are 10 red leg hermits. Do you think I'll be able to pick another clown up to pair them? Also, what do you think the possibility is of having any hitchhikers? I haven't seen anything yet, only first night though.

SLOW DOWN! That LFS store is the devil. They should NEVER sell you a tank, a fish and crabs all in the same day. You should not buy anything else until you do some more research.

SLOW DOWN! That LFS store is the devil. They should NEVER sell you a tank, a fish and crabs all in the same day. You should not buy anything else until you do some more research.

yea I guess your right, talking to a the LFS couldn't possibly be mistaken as research. Also, I came here to research, which I assumed this thread was.

Edited by Sinful
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic