Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

steelhealr

I think Chaeto is one of the better macros to have. Caulerpa can go 'sexual' and Halimeda can use up calcium. After changing my mod, I think almost any setup can work in the back chambers. In summary, my mods are:

1) Stock pump in chamber one with 'bulkheadless' outlet, ChemiPure,SeaGel and Purigen

2) LR rubble and macro, temp probe and submersible light in chamber 2

3) Maxijet 1200, heater in chamber 3

And...as for cyanobacteria (red slime algae) trapping bubbles, that might be a good sign, in that, I've read that deep inside some good LR, denitrification can occur...I hope those bubbles are nitrogen gas.

SH

steelhealr

First Corals

With trepidations, I opened my shipment of corals that arrived today. I decided to go with Liveaquaria.com and for several reasons. First, I am still not comfortable with many of the local SW lfs' around here. Secondly, I have used them two times before for my FW livestock and was extremely happy. Third, their site is informative, easy to navigate and they have a 2 week guarantee. I decided to go with their 'Nano Pack' which provides four different corals: a mushroom, polyps, soft and another one of the previous three. Granted, you have no choice of what they are, but, as a newb, that is fine by me for now. My order also included two Banded Trochus Snails and... a sixline wrasse.

The corals are packed in individual bags, wrapped multiple times with metal clips that were tough to take off...lol...I needed pliers. The wrasse bag was covered with black plastic I guess to shield if from light.

nano31.jpg

For newbies still following, I used the drip method to acclimate the new corals and float method for the snails and wrasse. I have already posted a link, but, here is the liveaquaria link for acclimating:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...=3319&subref=AI

If you choose to do the drip method, you can see from the pic that all you will need is:

nano30.jpg

1) a bucket

2) air line tubing

3) a gang valve

4) air line tubing clip

The most important thing about the corals is NOT to expose them to air. I also left the lights off for the wrasse and will restart them tomorrow. The wrasse and snails had no problem acclimating. The wrasse sailed around a bit and then found a cave on the side of the tank opposite the firefish.

After acclimating the corals, I placed them on the bottom of the tank to let them hopefully get over the shock of the whole process. I will take a pic of the four frags tomorrow so you can see what they look like.

Some Thoughts for Coral Startup for Newbs Like Me

1) As always, start slow

2) Wait for your tank to mature before proceeding. Parameters should preferably include a nitrate count of 0 or very close to it, stable pH (optimal 8.2) and alkalinity, etc, and the tank should have gone thru it's progression of diatoms, etc

3) Corals require good water circulation...minimal 10X..the more the better

4) KNOW YOUR CORALS FIRST...their lighting and circulation requirements. Know where they should be placed in your tank. Is it photosynthetic or requires feeding or BOTH? Don't forget Borneman's book..the link is posted earlier on this thread

5) If you are going stock lighting like me, tridachna clams and sps corals are generally OUT. There are some lps which may work.

6) NO ANEMONES

7) Be careful not to touch the corals..handle the 'frags' (the rocks they are attached to). Handling them may damage them. Also, some like zoanthids may have a toxic slime. Wash your hands or wear gloves when working with them.

Coral ID and pix to follow tomorrow. SH

steelhealr

Hi...I just added my first four corals to my tank. Like many beginners here, I did the 'search' thing and, as is common, information was spread out over many threads. To try and help some of us future newbies out, I've tried to compile a list of corals that beginners may research to see if they will be compatible for their systems. I saw one post here that categorized them inerestingly and I'll use that format. I AM NOT A CORAL EXPERT (nor do I play one on TV).

For the nano-reefers with much more experience than I that swing thru this post, I hope you'll use the list on this thread to contrast your experiences for us and 'correct' the headings they were under as needed or add your own 'recs'. In general, this list was culled from the questions, "Can you recommend a colorful/hardy/beginner coral that will survive in my nano" and I believe the implication is 'moderate' or stock lighting (about 3 Watts/gallon). Listing under yes doesn't imply that the coral is only photosynthetic or very easy to take care of. Obviously, SPS corals in general are not listed. I will retro-edit this list accordingly to be of help. SH

Yes

Ricordea florida

Zoanthids

Mushroom corals (sarcophyton, rhodactus, actinodiscus spp)

Leathers and soft corals

Plate Coral, Short Tentacle (Heliofungia)

Open Brain coral (Favites)

Fox Coral (Nemanzophyllia turbida)

Small bubble coral (Plerogyra sp.)

Candy Cane (Caulastrea furcata)

Orange Cup coral (tubastrea)

Pineapple or Branched Cup coral (Blastomussa)

Colony polyps (palythoa)

Cauliflower Colt (claiella sp.)

Starburst polyp (Clavularia viridis)

Kenya Tree Coral (Capnella sp.)

Button Coral (Scolymia sp.)

Maybe(Maybe)

Pulsing Xenia

Torch coral (Euphyllia glabrescens)

Hammer (Euphyllia ancora)

Frogspawn (Euphyllia paradivisa)

No

Pipe Organ (Tubipora musica)

Elegance (Catalaphyllia jardinei)

Alveopora Daisy (Alveopora sp.)

Tooth Coral (Galaxea spp.)

Flower Pot Coral (Goniopora sp.)

VBAQUARIUM

SH,

Congrats on your new corals. I can't wait until I can put some in my tank. I've been following your progress and keeping good notes. My tank is at 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrate but 40-50 in Nitrates. I've got two damsels to help cycle. One turned black on me though. It went from a bright white with blue and yellow to a light shade of black.

Any idea on what's up with the damsel? Also, he's been chasing his mate all over the tank. I'm going to donate them to the LFS once I'm ready for Corals.

Keep up the posts.

steelhealr

HI VBA and thanks for the encouragment...take your time. Remember..beauty takes time, disaster happens quickly. You want your tank settled in before adding the corals. Despite mine having a bit of cyano, it seems completely under control...my snails and hermits are eating it and it is not spreading. My diatoms have markedly gone down...only have to scrape now every 4- 5 days. Does this mean I'm immune to a crash? NEVER!!

In general, two fish from the same species should be avoided unless they are paired or male and female. These SW species are aggressive even towards their own kind. They ca pick, nip, and harass until the fish dies. I would see if you can take one damsel back. Stick with only one if you can and in general, the the yellowtail damsel handles nano tanks the best. The most aggressive fish should always be added last to your tank. I just added a sixline wrasse and I'm EXTREMELY happy. Just a beautful fish..swims in and out of the rock...unusual eyes and great color. Rippling dorsal fin. He took mysis shrimp today so....he'll be OK. I highly recommend him as a nano inhabitant. SH

Hey there, Great info! although I have few questions. Currently I'm in about week 3 since I set up my tank. Everything is going well until couple days ago, I start to see gree algea. I've look and look to see what I can do to help the situation, I'm planning to buy phosphate pad later also I just read your post about the 2nd pump which I'm also considering. I have clean up crew running around atm but they don't seem to be eatting them but I'm also planning to buy some food for them also because I recently lost of 3 blueleg hermit crabs, and 2 snails... but the snails die from fallen and can't get back up X) Well is there any other way of what I can do to get rid of green algea? and What type of food do blue/red leg hermit eat?

Thank you

Kyubi

steelhealr

Hi Kyubi....I don't feed the cleanup crew. That is what the algae is for. Feeding the cleanup crew in the presence of algae will increase the nutrient load and cause a vicious circle of worsening algae.

-how long are your lights on for?

-what kind of water are you using?

-have you tested your water for phosphate?

-what is your nitrate level?

Need more info. SH

steelhealr

Yes Cloudy...here we go:

Update

Hi...corals were ID'd ..thank you Trekbear and Navarre for the help. I've placed them in the tank in what I think are satisfactory positions. From the bottom left and going clockwise:

1)Green fluorescent mushroom

2)Yellow colony poly (not opened yet)

3)Cauliflower colt

4)Yellow Fiji leather coral

Submitted for your approval/thoughts:

nano32.jpg

Other changes:

1) I'm listing my clown goby on the MIA list, my first marine loss. Never saw a body though.

2) I've added chaeto to the refugium/middle chamber in the back. Halimeda is still alive.

3) The cyano is reducing..it is being eaten by the snails and hermits

4) Diatoms are slowing...only have to scrape every 3-5 days.

5) I'm getting addicted to this coral stuff.

nano34.jpg

nano35.jpg

Also, I have a coral hitchhiker. It is at the base of the yellow leather....anyone..come to the rescue..can anyone ID this:

coralID2.jpg

ADD: Someone ID'd this as a hairy mushroom (rhodactis sp)

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. SH

hey SH, this post just keeps getting better! love the pictures. so how are the cleaner shrimp and wrasse getting along? i read on another post about sixlines eating the shrimps eyes (scary) wondered if anyone else has this problem. i have a sixline in quarantine and would be devastated if it ate my cleaner, he's too adorable! sorry to hear about the green clown :(

artarmon42

Great thread SH (haven't read it for a few weeks, and lots of new stuff going on!).

A thought for you... The cyano and goby disappearance/death are probably related. I lost a fish once and cyano broke out a week later. Until the body decomposes completely (or is removed manually) it'll continue feeding the bacteria.

outtafocus

Hey Steelhealr, its been a while since I have posted on this thread, but I have been keeping up to date none the less.

Your tank is looking very good.

I noticed on your list of good and bad nano corals you listed a pipe organ in the no section. Why is it not good for nanos?

I was just given a pipe organ (along with many others, open brain zoo's etc) from the guy I was buying my live rock from.

He has been transfered to the UK and needed to shut down his 55gal. Was a long established tank so I did not need to cure the rock.

But since he needed to shut down asap he handed me a bunch of corals, the pipe organ is quite nice and seems to be doing well for only its second day in my tank. What are your opinions of this coral?

I also got a colt leather coral( I think it is) what do you think of these?

Thanks

steelhealr

Hey everyone..thanks for coming back.

To Genuck..the two seem to be getting along OK. I did see the two pair off once, but, since the cleaner has 'set up a cleaning station' in the past and reached for the two others, I didn't think much of it. I'll keep an eye on it.

To Artarmon42..you know, I never thought of that. That makes perfect sense because I had a terrible second wave of diatoms/algae followed by the cyano. That would make perfect sense. Good logic. The goby, if dead, would get lodged under the rock. It's too bad.

To Outafocus...I just got a cauliflower colt too...you can see it above on the right of the tank. I like the look. As for the pipe organ, as per some posts here, and considering the coral post is for starters/newbies, the pipe organ seems to require more care...very delicate, polpys can break, needs attention to calcium, needs attention to flow strength/location...requires a bit more lighting. That's all. SH

steelhealr

Gats..looks interesting. For those wishing to upgrade their lighting, they will most likely be facing a temperature issue. A chiller, if needed, can be added. Nanocustoms price of $85 dollars doesn't seem too high. It certainly makes things more complex. At present, I plan to stay stock and see how good I can do with this. My temps are running good with two two pumps and a submersible light. I have not gone above 80 so far and that's without A/C on in the house with early warm temps. SH

steelhealr

Hi...someone had posted earlier about making a comment about feeding. Here is what is working for me right now. I'm feeding VERY CAREFULLY once a day, only what they can eat in about a minute or 2 (remember, in many ways you are feeding your TANK if not careful). I'm having success with the following:

1) Nutrifin Marine Complete slow sinking pellets

2) Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes

3) Cyclopeeze

4) Frozen Mysis shrimp

Everyone is eating everything except the Firefish won't go for the flake and it took a while for it to warm up to the pellets.

Hope this helps. SH

hey SH my 24G cube has been up just over a week now and the cycle is looking pretty good. everything has been pretty steady and I've been slowly increasing my lighting cycle. last night i upgraded my lighting to 144 watts :) I think the amount of light spilling over to the back chamber, coupled with some reflective tape, will be sufficient to grow my chaeto.

ps, you should see my living room now with just the tank light on, the tank has it's own ora. LOL

steelhealr

Hey Rev...wtg and welcome aboard. I hear ya...when I come up the driveway at night there is this blue glow on the front lawn. LOL. When your algae kicks in, incrementally add your cleanup crew. You're on your way. SH

I just saw my very first signs of algae starting to grow last night. I was thinking of picking up a crab or snail on the way home from work. red legged hermit or some sort of turbo snail maybe?

burtbollinger

Well, my newbie advice to you is to make sure you've cycled, then add a few of the astria snails and a few redlegs. Personally, If I were you, I'd wait another week or so...I got a suspicion youre not done cycling...what its been a week?

My astria snails have done an alright job, but they do seem a little lazy. I love watching the red legs though. I also tossed a small sally lighfoot in. But I read that might be a mistake, although the LFS lady said it was a good idea. Her store she owns is badass, so I'm apt to trust her...she's run it for 25 yrs, and her tanks are the best I've ever seen.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic