Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

This has been one of the best threads I've read, many thanks to you, SH!

Could you show us a few latest pictures of your tank, it would be good to see what a truly mature system looks like.

Do you still see it as a challenge? Notice the tank? Does it still interest you the same or are you on the verge of starting another project? Ever tempted to move all of this to a newer generation cube?

Thank you for all your work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just picked up a used BioCube model 14A from a yard sale. I filled it up with water and found no leaks a day and a half later. It seems to be in good shape but Im concerned about "the crack period" mentioned throughout this thread. There is no date on the tag. Is there a way to find out using the serial number?

Im about to get started purchasing replacement lighting (upgrading to LED due to most wiring being unpluged and missing lamps) and upgrading the filtering system. But want to make sure I done make allthis investment in something that may have an issue.

Thanks!

Efrain

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NewB here with NewB question just bought a jbj 24 used an I'm thinking of running ..inTank media basket chamber1...Hydor slim skim chamber2...pump an heater chamber3...sound ok to run that setup???...thx!!!

• 3 months later...
steelhealr

After 7 years, it's time for a change.

Although an initial fan of the Nano Cube, obviously, over time, there are issues. Most know that cracking was an issue way back when which appears to have been resolved. The hood system on my JBJ really didn't do much to protect the inner electronics from moisture, salt creep, etc. There was space between the back chambers and the hood which allowed for jumping fish to get lost, etc. Replacing the hood on the older JBJ was/is a true PITA and with the potential for glass fracture, changing it up was never an option.

So, after:

• a glass crack
  • two fan replacements
  • three ballast replacements
  • multiple DIY upgrades
  • numerous tube replacements

I think it's time for a change (not that owning a JBJ Nano Cube is bad for a newcomer to the hobby).

My original clown is still alive, OVER 7 YEARS OLD. Believe it or not, I still have a hermit crab nearly 4 years old. So, I'm thinking maybe a basic 20 gallon long. Other consideratin, technology has improved and whereas nano reefs were not really 'accepted' when Chris first started this website, the general community now openly accepts nano 'reefery' in the world of marine aquarism (geez, they even have products labeled with 'nano' in them).

Hey, any good threads out there for ME to read???? LOL.

SH

Needreefunds

Sad to see this famous tank come to an end.

What a great ride it has been!

Thanks for all you have done for us here SH!

Best of luck with the new tank!

--Richie

steelhealr

Hey Rich. Change is good. The tank has had a good run. It's seven years old. The hood is just aging and the new technology is making THIS model of the tank a little obsolete. I haven't had time to peruse the latest JBJ Nano Cube but I know that the tank has been upgraded including glass thickness. This thread SHOULDN'T come to an end since the tank is a VERY viable system. In addition, I still love the prismatic appearance of the corners and the view of the tank.

SH

Hey Rich. Change is good. The tank has had a good run. It's seven years old. The hood is just aging and the new technology is making THIS model of the tank a little obsolete. I haven't had time to peruse the latest JBJ Nano Cube but I know that the tank has been upgraded including glass thickness. This thread SHOULDN'T come to an end since the tank is a VERY viable system. In addition, I still love the prismatic appearance of the corners and the view of the tank.

SH

If you're interested in the new technology, look into LEDS, steel. They are growing corals pretty darn well and get good penetration. 20long is an awesome size. Many also do rimless tanks, and many are seeking out ADA (Aqua Design Amano, or the equivalent). Up to you...

My friend has a Biocube HQI in the 29g size. He is extremely happy with his tank and he is notoriously picky. Of course, he's made modifications to the system, mostly with regard to increasing flow and the media rack. I have his old Biocube 8g, discontinued. That tank was seriously modded. I've got tanks both ways, all in one models and tanks where I've pieced together the parts. Hard to say which ones are performing better at this point in time as my tanks are still relatively new, though many of their components are actually quite old. Two of my tanks are about 6 years, but were freshwater systems first.

Sad as well to see this great tank coming to an end, but honestly, it's pretty awesome that you're going to do another setup. I'll be following any system you start with a great deal of interest. I'm sure the clownfish will love the new digs.

L

Rollermonkey

I was skimming through the first few pages just and noticed it was seven years old. I started wondering if any of the initial setup methods are out of date at all. If perhaps, an updated version might be a good idea. Then I hit the last page button and saw that today you've decided to shut this tank down.

I'll be watching carefully to see if you do a new thread like this, but with 7 years of advances and experience incorporated.

24nano_reefer

this topic is a nice refresh course its been 6 years since i sold my 75g gal reef now getting back into it with a 24g nano one of the major problems im gonna have is theirs no lfs eek

Needreefunds

SH

Agreed 100%. This thread is LOADED with info and is an excellent resource for newbies and oldbies alike. :happy:

I too will always love the look of these tanks.

Edited by Needreefunds

This is an amazing thread. I just bought a 24 gallon Nano Cube DX this past weekend and have it cycling now. I'm only on page 8 of these threads so far but there is a lot of great information in here. I had to come to the end of the thread so I could post how great I think the thread is. Reading the latest posts it looks like you have got out of the Nano tanks. Well at least I have plenty of pages of information to look through from all the years leading up to now. I can't wait until I can add my cleanup crew.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! Is anyone here familiar with the slim skim nano? Do you see a problem with putting it on a little sand even though the output is on the bottom? It will hardly fit in my tank unless the top magnet is out (20g long).

• 3 months later...

Dear Steve...

I had a question about my Tunze skimmer?

I don't see any foam or the water rising in the middle tube, does that mean I'm low on water and need to add some?

Also, I don't think there's any foam sitting in the collection cup yet...shouldn't there be?

Sorry I don't know much about the maitence and checking procedures on this.

Thank you as always for your knowledge :)

I'm not very familiar with the Tunze skimmer. I used a Remora Aqua C external but only on a 'needs' basis (eg, something died in the tank). If you have great water quality, you may not generate a large skimmate. However, I would check with someone who runs the Tunze.

My clownfish is still alive after more than 7 years and I never skim. FYI. SH

I'm not very familiar with the Tunze skimmer. I used a Remora Aqua C external but only on a 'needs' basis (eg, something died in the tank). If you have great water quality, you may not generate a large skimmate. However, I would check with someone who runs the Tunze.

My clownfish is still alive after more than 7 years and I never skim. FYI. SH

Thanks for a great read. I am not new to the hobby, but I am new to nano systems. I just set up a 10g system called "nano marin".

Your journal was extremely informative to me, and very helpful.

Thanks. Believe it or not, I am still nano'ing. Although my tank is not as stellar as it was due to work and time commitments, I still have a very old surviving clownfish. He was the first addition and he is still kicking after 7 years. The hobby has advanced immensely in this time. Christopher was a pioneer and nano'ers were 'quacks' so to speak. Certain principles don't change. Rapidity is deadly. Patience is golden. Have fun with it. SH

Edited by steelhealr
  • 3 months later...

....something is swimming in my tank. LOLOL. I think it's a copepod. The first sign of life. SH

What the Heck is That in My Tank, or, Week 1

Well..there IS something swimming in my tank and it's already day 2. This is cool. So, what's gonna be going on with the Nano Cube. Below is just a rough idea:

Week 1-2

Avoid water changes. Top off with pure water if necessary. Check parameters on the tank. With uncured, start lighting 1-2 hours/day and slowly increase about 1/2 hour per day until 8-12 hours are reached. You may start to see little white things moving around. These may be copepods and are GOOD...food.

Week 2-3

Make sure all equipment is working. Check powerheads. Top off the water. Diatoms may start to appear.

Week 4-5

Diatoms recede and, hopefully, by now ammonia and nitrite are zero. Time for the 1st water change. If you are mixing, premix the night before. If buying..well...all you have to do is warm up the SW and check s.g. Then, time to add the Cleanup Crew

Week 6-8

Water changes as needed and when parameters are 'excellent', time to add your livestock slowly.

The Cleanup Crew

After cycling and after appearance of algae, it's time to add the Cleanup Crew. This is a crew of invertebrates to help keep your tank clean. Some will eat algae; some will eat detritus; some will actually clean your fish of parasites. They all perform a purpose. Again, this is just a guideline. Choice of characters and researching them I'll leave to you. The inverts have to be acclimated the same as livestock. Again, here is a good acclimation guide:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...eral_pagesid=19

Snails

General recommendations are 1 snail/1-2 gallons. As you add them, remember not to add too many of one kind...you don't want to add 10 snails that eat algae and then have them starve while no one is there to eat hair algae, eg. Here is an example of a cleanup crew somone used in their 20 gallon:

5 Nassarius Snails

3 Astraea Snails

5 Cerith Snails

1 Turbo Snails

1 Fighting Conch

1 Scarlett Reef Hermit

1)Astrea--these have sharp, conical shells with circular ridges. They remain small

Advantages: they stay small. Great herbivores. Very hardy.

Disadvantages: if they fall, they can't right themselves and may die.

astreasnail1.jpg

2) Nassarius--These are small snails that burrow in the sand and eat detritus. They

are more scavengers than algae eaters. They are becoming more popular and

receive a lot of good comments from others

nassarius1.jpg

3) Turbo--They have black shells and grow to 3".

Advantages: Excellent herbivores

Disadvantages: They can knock things over in the tank and it is not

uncommon for them to die from poor acclimation.

mexicanturbosnail1.jpg

4) Cerith--small, less than 1" snails with pointed shells, usually covered with coralline algae.

Advantages: Good herbivores. Hardy and long lived.

Disadvantages: Not effective against hair algae

cerithsnail1.jpg

5) Nerite--small, less than 1" with a rounded shell covered with coralline algae. Sometimes has a stripe or spots

Advantages: Good herbivores, hardy, long lived

Disadvantages: may wander out of the tank

nerite-snail-1.jpg

6) Other snail for you to look up: Trocus Grazers. Upcoming, crabs and hermits. SH

Hello Steelhealr, I've been reading a lot about saltwater and decided to get a set up and went with the fluvial spec v. I have live sand, 5lbs of LR(fiji), and my readings are 7.8/8.0 ph, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, and 1.025 salinity. The tank has been cycling 4 weeks and 5 days. I have not seen any diatoms or algae in my tank at all and my live rock was uncured i didn't do water changes and left lights on 8 to 10 hours a day for the time being. I have a CUC in there already 4 snails. Will is saw Diatoms or Algae at all? Thanks!

lakshwadeep

Hello Steelhealr, I've been reading a lot about saltwater and decided to get a set up and went with the fluvial spec v. I have live sand, 5lbs of LR(fiji), and my readings are 7.8/8.0 ph, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, and 1.025 salinity. The tank has been cycling 4 weeks and 5 days. I have not seen any diatoms or algae in my tank at all and my live rock was uncured i didn't do water changes and left lights on 8 to 10 hours a day for the time being. I have a CUC in there already 4 snails. Will is saw Diatoms or Algae at all? Thanks!

Not all tanks will have the same events during the cycle, which is why steelhealr said his timeline was a rough idea. You should make a new thread (click "start new topic") instead of replying to this very old thread. You will get more replies.

Not all tanks will have the same events during the cycle, which is why steelhealr said his timeline was a rough idea. You should make a new thread (click "start new topic") instead of replying to this very old thread. You will get more replies.

Thanks a lot! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I am getting the bug after taking down my 50. Moved and moving soon. So 50 is in storage and 24 is coming out again.

I have Hydro Flo, MJ-1200 in chamber3, and Surface Skimmer. Wondering what mods are essential. (even better if they are easy mods)

I have yellowing on splashguard below lights, so I need to make a splashguard (perfect time to mod that area) So splashguard is on the To-Do list, I am also going to make chamber 2 into a refugium. My Nanocube is version 2 If I remember right. (one after cracking issues)

Any ideas on mods? Only thing I'm against is light leakage, so no pendant lights, cause leakage sucks when watching tv or a movie.

-J

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic