SaltCritters.com

What kind of caulerpa is illegal in California?

JIM27

I recently went to my lfs here in sac and purchased some of what I think is feather, grape, and razor caulerpa, about 1-2 handfulls for $3. Are those kinds illegal in Sacramento? I remember reading some posts about ilegal caulerpa in Ca but I can't remember which kind are. Also can anyone post some pics of these kinds so I know if they are what I think please?

There was a big deal about that a year or so ago, check out www.reefsource.com There should be plenty of information on the caulerpa issue there.

taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana,ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.

these are illegal...

Which tank was it in? I'm in Sac (Elk Grove) and I've not seen it at Exotic yet. Just curious as I'm planning on building a refugium this weekend.

Thanks

Dan

jjharrisx4

For you guys in Sacto, check out this site:

http://www.marineaquarist.org/

This is for the Marine Aquarist Roundtable of Sacramento.  A reef club that meets once per month.  Anyway, usually there are members that will GIVE you all the caulerpa you want.  Also, members get a 10% (sometimes 20) discount at many lfs.  By the way, you may want to check out Twin's Aquarium in Stockton for your SW stuff.  He usually has caulerpa.

I forgot to mention...This months guest speaker is Bob Fenner from wetwebmedia.com

(Edited by jjharrisx4 at 11:16 am on June 6, 2002)

printerdown01

From my understanding caulerpa toxifolia is the only problem child... It first started taking over in the Mediterranean region... It is believed that it originally was released from a public aquarium in France... As its name suggests its leaves are toxic to most fish, thus they will avoid eating them [toxifolia = toxic foliage].  There is no natural predator that will feed upon this alga that can survive in the region, so it has been growing unchecked! Since then it has also appeared on the Californian coast (as well as many others). It is believed that aquarists are responsible for these appearances as well (mainly because of the fact that a French public aquarium is such a likely candidate for the Mediterranean out break). I however believe that another source is more likely: boats. They have brought over MANY species from the Mediterranean, which include algae and muscles (Mediterranean muscles are already taking over the space on rocks in the SF Bay, pushing the local species out of existence). -But anyway, that is why it was banned... If I'm not mistaken the other species that are listed were either marked as to be avoided or banned because of their association with toxifolia, and not because they themselves cause any problems.

-just for the sake of general knowledge...

Quote: from aidensnd on 4:19 am on June 6, 2002[br]Which tank was it in? I'm in Sac (Elk Grove) and I've not seen it at Exotic yet. Just curious as I'm planning on building a refugium this weekend.

Thanks

Dan

They had some in one of the tanks with lots of anenomes in it(it has the hermit crab shells on top) but I bought that. They might have more now though. They have one of those little Ecosystem refugiums on the side of one of their reef tanks. Its full of it. Just ask if they will sell you any of that.

Archived