Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cheato in the 24g

Chris K

I have the 24g nano and was wondering how some of you have your back three compartments set up. I want to add cheato back there and I'm not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions would help.

Also, I still have the factory sponge. Should that be taken out?

I have a sponge in bay 1 of my 24g to catch the big stuff. Just be sure to clean yours every week. Dirty sponge = nitrates. I actually took my sponge and cut it in half so now I have 2 sponges. I ran a plastic loop through the sponge to make it easier to pull out.

If you are planning on having cheato, you will need to mount a light on the hood. I am planning on doing the same. I have a PC light from another hood I am going to use. Be sure to run the light over the cheato at night while the main tank lights are off (reverse photo period).

Right now my set up is: Bay 1 - sponge; Bay 2 - 2lbs LR w/Phosguard & charcoal; Bay 3 - heater & pump.

Future: Bay 1 - Sponge; Bay 2 LR & Cheato; Bay 3 - heater, pump, Phosguard & charcoal.

Originally posted by Chris K

I am trying to find a light that will fit.  Do you have any suggestions?

Mine is a 9w PC but I think the recommended is 15w PC. Obviously due to the space available it has to be small. I plan on using a 6700k lamp. You might be able to find a suitable lamp @ your LFS. Maybe something for a Betta tank, etc..

First compartment is empty.

Second compartment has a sponge and carbon bag.

Third compartment has my heater and return pump.

As with doncb I cut the original sponge from the first compartment in two and now I have multiple sponges to use in the second compartment.

I have an "in tank" macro refugium. I used a small tupperware container and drilled holes in it. I put the macro in the container and wrapped the container with a drawstring bag used for carbon. It does not block out the light at all. Unfortunately until the macro entirely grows out it is a bit unsightly. You can view a picture of this "contraption" HERE!.

Christopher

*edit* used thumbnail instead of full picture!

Archived