Pod Your Reef

anemone-cause of possible death ???

Auryn

can an anemone die in 4 days from insufficient light.

what could cause an anemone to die overnight

after it did beautifully for 3 days in good water- even ate some food

had settled in to a nice spot

I ask because unbeknownst to me my father bought a condy anemone for me for my 12gl nano

i know it needs for more light I was thinking of doing a diy retro and adding more light in the next couple of weeks as I had read that it takes a while usually for an anemone to die of insufficient light

this anemone was doing great

picked itself a spot almost right away (acclimated it for 3 hours before putting it in) stayed there for 3 days

looked gorgeous

never lost any color- got prettier actually, fuller, fleshier tentacles

was eating small pieces of raw shrimp and scallop like a hungry 4 yr old

went to bed last night and it looked gorgeous seemed healthy

woke up this morning and it had shrunk to the size of a golf ball

tentacles were short and mostly flat

it seemed to be pushing something out of its mouth- like its regurgitating itself almost

anyone have any idea what it could be thats causing this?

let me know and if u want I can post a few pics to facilitate the imagery

ph 8.3

salinity 1.021

temp 77o

lighting 24W

some natural lighting

calcium 375 (using supplements to raise it)

water flow is good- there is a good current- all i have in there is the standard pump that came with the nano

ammonia 0

nitrates 0

nitrite <10ppm

the tank has been set up for 8 weeks and is fully cycled

no I did not add the anemone along with all the other inhabitants

the shrimp and fish were added at seperate times with the shrimp being the last to go in 2 weeks ago

tank inhabitants

2 peppermint shrimp

1 cleaner shrimp

handful of blue legged hermits

2 astrea snails

1 tank raised percula who avoided the anemone like the plague

there are no particles or nutrients on the water surface (I mean there is no filmy substance on the water surface)

I don't plan on keeping any more anemones or corals at this point cause this is the 2nd anemone thats died in this same manner within 3 days of being in the tank- I assume its the same cause but I can't find anything

and i lost a green button polyp that was doing well for 3 weeks (I assume this is from lack of light)

so if you could help me ID this killer thatd be great

it just shrunk and spewing stuff out of its mouth?

if thats the case its not dead its just releasing waste

you gotta remember that an anemone only has one opening, what goes in goes out the same hole

Condi's come from the atlantic/caribean oceans. They are prolific, and as such are readlity available to the hobby. Thier sting is VERY strong compared to pacific species of anemone's. The clown will DEFINITLY avoid this species. I would give it some more time to see how it does, add more light and read up on it.

thanks guys

it was realising what I assume is waste earlier this morning (long brown material)

now it just seems to be inverting its mouth

I guess u could equate it to spreading its mouth all the way open and parts of its throat being exposed

will it hurt the clown if it accidentally touches it?

the shrimp dont seem to care either way and have been touched a couple of times and nothing happened

thanks again

The refuse that the anemone is expelling will most likely not hurt any of the inhabitants. The Condy may or may not actually 'sting' the clown. As clown fish are not present in the atlantic-and vice versa for the condys in the pacific, the clown will most likely NOT take it as a host.

Could of been a little salinity shock. What was the SG at the store. I saw your is 1.021, if the stores was 1.026 (as many are) it might of been a little to much trauma.

8 weeks might be a little soon for an anemone ( i know you didnt buy it), the tank, although cycled, has not stablised.

its just poopin let it be, but yes get more light or trade it in at the LFS for a bubble tip when you get more light. 8 weeks is also a little short for a anemone to live happily. wait for a couple more months to make sure your tank is settled and health.

thanks guys

I don't plan on buying anymore livestock until at least May 13

there is going ot be a humongous salt water show near where I live

and even the lfs guy said I should wait and go to that show

the anemone is doing fine now btw

when i woke up yesterday it was bigger than it was even at the lfs

i guess it was just constipated

the only thing I worry about is that I orignally wanted 2 perculas so that they could be one m and one f

but I am afraid that by now it will be too late to introduce a new percula in there w/o the other guy going nuts on it

I was thinking the only thing that might work would be to take the established guy out- bag him- rearrange the tank and then float and acclimate him with the new percula and introduce them together after acclimation- that way its like they are going to a new tank- what do you guys think- would it work??

are bubble tips better host anemones for perculas??

oh and I dont plan on keeping this condy long- probably until the tank is settled and established and I can get a different anemone as the condy is already quite large (until yesterday i had never seen it fully opened) and if the fish avoid it that much it creates a lot of dead space in the tank that the fish cant use

and most ppl ive talked to say condys grow quickly so

this guy will get too big for this tank pretty soon

thanks for all the help

BKtomodachi

The combination of low salinity, stress from movement, improper lighting, and unknown water parameter differences probably did it in.

• 14 years later...
1 hour ago, Yvonne said:

Can clown fish over host an anemone and kill it 

Depends really.  Most likely not, if it dies, chances are the issue is something other than your clown.

Clowns have been known to bother coral that do not normally host clowns to death.  

The anemone is hosting the clownfish, BTW.  Not vis versa.  👍

Yes the guest of the host (the clownfish) can be too much stress in some cases.