Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how much water movement for sps in nano 12

kibrahi

For my nano cube 12 I plan on replacing the stock pump with mj606 and placing another mj606 behind the intake grill. Is this enough flow for sps? Any other recommendations?

thanks

2 MJ606 is a good start. It's not just the total gph, you'd also want more random flow. It also depends on what type of sps, placement, amount of live rock, sandbed or BB,...

But most importantly, your water quality must be pristine and stable.

agreed - you should get some nice turbulent flow w/ those two powerheads though - water quality (feed very, very sparingly)is your key concern in such a small tank.

Other than water changes - you'll probably find the less you do w/ the tank (feeding/supplementing/moving things around) the more success you will have w/ SPS

Good luck ;)

-Nick

Thanks for the replies. I'm don't even have a tank yet I'm just in the planning phase and someday hope to keep sps but am a long way from that right now, and will wait till I gain more experience. I just want to set the tank up right from the beginning with sps in mind.

Thanks again.

TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Hello guys and gals, is the stock light on nano dx enough for sps.

Also how about thier growth in same size of tank, will this size hold some sps, and what kind of sps would you recomend, can you guys name some.

thank's for any info.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

kibrahi,

Comming from experience in having SPS corals in my 12 gallon cube DX, I would recommend the two pumps your mentioned.

I however, have two RIOS in chamber one. To obtain, a turbulent flow without timers, I researched and found out that if you place to different rated pumps, Rio 50 and Rio 90 you'll obtain a different flow than two identical pumps. Let me explain.

The RIO 90 pumps at a different rate than the RIO 50, end result is side by side each stream of flow coincides against the other to mix and become more turbulent than two of the same flow, I experimented and saw the difference.

Good luck.

Mike

Archived