Pod Your Reef

question about sump compartment contents

marc

I have the 24gal nanocube and have read multiple opinions on what you should leave/add to the sump compartments. I've had the cube for 3 months and have left the sponge in the first compartment, removed the bio rings from the 2nd, left the carbon and added a bag of purigen, nothing but the pump in the 3rd. I like the idea of adding lr rubble in the sump compartments.

I'm thinking of cutting the sponge in half and filling the lower half of the 1st sump compartment with rubble and placing the half sponge on top of the rubble. In the 2nd compartment, I want to add rubble as well and place the carbon bag and purigen bag on top. What do you think of this idea? Do you forsee any problems with this or have any alternate solutions?

thanks

marc

Right now in my 24g NC I have a 1/2 sponge in bay 1. When I do maintenance like cleaning the glass, stiring the sand, etc. I put a wad of filter floss on top of the sponge for a few hours & then take it out. You'd be amazed at how much stuff it traps!

Bay 2 I have about 2lbs of LR and Phos-Guard and charcoal. In bay 3 I have a heater and the stock pump.

What I'm thinking about is adding a refugium to bay 2. and I would like to add a skimmer to bay 3 but I'll have to make one.

Some like to put a 2nd PH in bay 1.

1 - Bonded Poly floss ontop of the sponge (easy cleaning)

2 - LR rubble/branch LR - cheato on top

3 - MJ606 on bottom, filter bag of Seachem-phosgaurd/renew and cheato floating on top (came over from #2)

Hi...if this helps. I will probably put the stock pump in chamber one above the regular size sponge, chemipure. Temp probe, LR rubble, macro and submersible fuge light in chamber 2, swapped out Maxijet 1200 and heater in chamber 3. SH

Archived