Cultivated Reef

Nano Cube Disaster

AnotherNanoNewbie

AnotherNanoNewbie

I'm feeling very unlucky. I set up my 12 gal. Nano Cube DX on Monday and this morning I awoke to find a crack down the side of the aquarium and my water level down 2"! Water was streaming down my table and my power strip was wet and smoking! If I had not been home, I probably would have had a fire on my hands. This is my first aquarium experience and needless to say I'm feeling like I should give up. Typical that today is Sat. and I can't reach anyone at JBJ until Monday.

Anyone else have any problems like this? What to I do now? I was cycling my tank with a farm-raised clownfish, and he died yesterday, so I don't have to worry about him. What about my live rock and sand? Is it all a loss?

PS My tank is on a level surface and I didn't move it after I set it up. How could this have happened?

Full of despair

many a nano cubes have cracked, you arent the only one...dont give up but please do some research before setting up the tank again. take the rock out and the stock pump out of the cube and out it in an icechest or sbucket with your rock to keep the curing process and cycle still going.

please when you set your tank back up dont sacrifice a fish for the cycle sake. it will cycle on its own and you are wasting a fishes life.

the glass on the nanocube is soo thin it could have cracked for a number of resons, maybe it already had a crack, maybe you had rock leaning against some glass the possibilities are endless.

also next time put your powerstrip on something, mount it like it is meant to, dont leave it laying down because like you had is a fire hazard(im sure you realize that now)

AnotherNanoNewbie

Thanks SLOreefer -

Hopefully JBJ will honor their warranty and send me a new cube quickly. I was so careful putting my 1 rock in ever so gently and it was not touching the glass at all. I think it must have had a pre-existing crack under the rim. I have been doing more reading about tank cycling and I've noticed a lot of sources saying not to use a fish. I only did this under the advice of my local store -- they specialize in saltwater aquariums. Should I try again, I'm going to try to cycle the tank without a fish as you suggested. Will indeed mount the powerstrip too!

JBJ should honor the warranty, especially if the crack occurs near the bend. They understand that the tanks are extremely stressed due to the curved glass.

Take a picture of the damage, then call JBJ at 310-672-0480.

They generally honor all claims on damaged tanks when damage occurs on the corner of the glass.

Hang in there...

Chris

Dude it seems, you didn't even do a research on reef keeping, everybody knows you must first fill up the tank to see if it doesn't have cracks and stuff. If you continue to do things in this order, you are going to waste lots of money and kill many organisms, and you will get more frustrated. I recomend you to buy the following book: The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide

by Michael S. Paletta, Edward Kadunc (Illustrator), Scott W. Michael (Photographer), John Goodman (Photographer)

Hi Another Nano...sorry to hear about your disaster. I'm afraid I agree with Plancton. As we speak, my 24 Nano is running downstrairs with freshwater in preparation. I"m checking temps, leakage, pumps, etc. I have the same book that Plancton recommended...Paletta. It's a really great starter book. This hobby is too expensive to cut corners. I"m sorry again but get that book and don't give up. You can get it on Amazon.com. I"m not an expert yet, but, if I can be of any help, let me know. SH

AnotherNanoNewbie

ccjung, That's exactly where it cracked! Can I expect this to happen again? If so, I'm not sure I want another Nano Cube.

b0063e3e.jpg

Plancton, I do not like your acusatory tone. I did plenty of research, and I checked the tank over very carefully for cracks there were NONE that were visible to the naked eye. This is the first time I've heard I should fill it up first to check for cracks. I have 2 very good books and neither one suggested doing that. And how long should one wait for a crack to appear? As I mentioned, the tank was full for 6 days before it cracked.

i think the via aqua look a lot cooler and sleek. If you don't get another nano cube, i would definately suggest getting a via aqua. i wish i did.

AnotherNanoNewbie was just taking the advice from somebdy who is supposed to know where they are talking about. I can imagine, although you read else, that you are taking the word from a lfs keeper faster than anything else... It's not something nice to happen, the crack, especially not at the very beginning. Support newbies and don't make them miss out on this hobby. I wish you the best of luck newbie!

hey u are not the only one who has had a nano cube crack. mine cracked in the same place after a month and i did test it with water before salting it up. i am not a nu be i wanted to set up a nano tank. you are better off with a 10g aga. the nano cube is a piece of crap. you have to mod it just to get it to run "normal". i will never get a nanocube again.

Originally posted by cdi919

hey u are not the only one who has had a nano cube crack. mine cracked in the same place after a month and i did test it with water before salting it up. i am not a nu be i wanted to set up a nano tank. you are better off with a 10g aga. the nano cube is a piece of crap. you have to mod it just to get it to run "normal". i will never get a nanocube again.

Maybe your idea of "normal" is not what the NC was designed for. So you had a bad experience w/ a NC. Doesn't mean it isn't any good. Just means you don't like it.

AnotherNanoNewbie

Thanks to all for advice & support. Zillian, you're right, I am taking advice from a trusted, and knowledgeable source and just like anything in life there are many ways of doing things, not just one. Us newbies have to start somewhere and it's nice to get support and encouragement. This isn't a hobby I take lightly and am doing my best to do things the right and responsible way. I spent countless hours reading and researching before undertaking a nano cube. I'm terribly disappointed I have gotten off to such a bad start, but I'm going to give it another try as soon as I settle my claim with JBJ. I'm sure I will just get a replacement, not a refund, so I guess I have no choice but to stick with the Nano Cube. Hopefully things will work out better the next time around.

Originally posted by AnotherNanoNewbie

Thanks to all for advice & support.  Zillian, you're right, I am taking advice from a trusted, and knowledgeable source and just like anything in life there are many ways of doing things, not just one.  Us newbies have to start somewhere and it's nice to get support and encouragement.  This isn't a hobby I take lightly and am doing my best to do things the right and responsible way.  I spent countless hours reading and researching before undertaking a nano cube.  I'm terribly disappointed I have gotten off to such a bad start, but I'm going to give it another try as soon as I settle my claim with JBJ.  I'm sure I will just get a replacement, not a refund, so I guess I have no choice but to stick with the Nano Cube.  Hopefully things will work out better the next time around.

"Stuff happens" as they say. Many years ago, I bought a 10g All Glass. The front glass popped less than a day after filling. Got it replaced and had that tank for many (enjoyable) years. Sure I was disapointed and I can understand your feelings. Bet your next one works out great.

i discovered a crack in my nano shortly after set-up also, i had done the freshwater check for a couple days... but my crack is in the back along the wall of the 1st chamber, so dont sweat it... this happens to everyone... before my cube i went through 2 10g. in a week due to leakage. so far i have had my cube set up for over a month, no problems so far... but now that i think of it, im thinking of ordering a spare tank just in case, you can check out Chris @ nanocustoms (if you jbj doesnt honor their warrantee) he has spares for sale.

-don

AnotherNanoNewbie,

Do you have to send the broken unit back to JBJ?

Don't worry about making mistakes along the way, some are bigger than others. But you can reduce the number simply by doing more research as other have said.

First, get a GFCI installed. Safety is #1 priority.

ok i have a qustion does salt make stains in your rug i want a jbj nano tank but if it bracks and wreachse the rug i will be in big trouble will it leak though the celling two and wreach the wood work and sorry for posting a qustion on your thred but sence you were talking about breaking tanks i decided to thanks for any help

Originally posted by clowne21

ok i have a qustion does salt make stains in your rug i want a jbj nano tank but if it bracks and wreachse the rug i will be in big trouble will it leak though the celling two and wreach the wood work and sorry for posting a qustion on your thred but sence you were talking about breaking tanks i decided to thanks for any help

If allowed to dry, yes salt water will stain by leaving the dried salt on the carpet. Should be able to use a carpet steam cleaner to clean that up. If you left the water standing, it could leak through the floor. I think the odds of a jbj cracking are slim. It happens, sure. But then it can happen to any brand of tank (see my post above).

---------------------------------------------------------------

Question for the masses: Have schools stopped teaching spelling and punctuation?

Originally posted by cdi919

I have not had a bit of problem with my 24G. Sorry for your problems. I did get mine at a local LFS so that I could take it back if I had problems. Did cost me an extra $25 this way but no hassles and no shipping fees IF there is a problem.

I think the self contained look and features of the cube make it a great unit. Where I have mine located, I can not have the look of a science experiment with pipe, wires, hoses, hanging lights, etc. Wish my 200G was as "Clean" looking

• 2 weeks later...
derekschwabe

Aside from its popular cracking problem, the JBJ nano cube really is one of the best for nano reefers. THere arent many other premade nano systems made so well for the nano reef aquarist. I would definitely stick with it? It really is a nice, reliable aquarium (as long as you don't get a cracked one);)

good thing I didn't get a jbj nano cube, and went for a all glass bow front instead. This is not the only time jbj nano cubes have cracked, I have heard many stories of jbj's cracking. Until jbj fixes up their flaw, I will never buy a jbj nano cube.

Originally posted by gats

lfs had 2 break on him ,both were 12g,have not seen any 24g break

they do, just not at the corners in the front like the 12g does. the 24g cubes seem to be cracking at the top of the rear corner. On mine, some of the silicone peeled away and I have a little chunk of glass missing.

Archived