SaltCritters.com

Reefer Addict's Ganja oops Coral Farm

Reefer Addict

Reefer Addict

Just got done glueing my slip reducers to 1" bulkheads. That PVC glue is a trip to work with... And the fumes!!!:x

I wonder if Tigahboy will do my plumbing if I change my name to "Reefer Hot Chick"?:D

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefer Addict

Still trying to save some $'s Just got this down from my garage.

Light to be used over fuge. 18" Jalli PC 2x24.

Side view.

post-10749-1133841774_thumb.jpg

Reefer Addict

Pic with the 'white' reducers. You can also see the the 20k's still need more burn time...

Pardon the dirty glass!:P

Reefer Addict

I have not decided if I am going to go BB so I went with the signature Tigahboy blue bottom look just in case I did. 1/4 plywood with 1/2 foam on top....

Tigah-How did you get that 4x8 sheet of foam home? A part of it was resting on top of my head as I drove home in my Hummer!!!!!:D

Hey, can you take a pic inside of the canopy? Also, is the top hinged, or do you have a panel in the front for access to the tank.

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it in action!

Reefer Addict

You must have been reading my mind. I was thinking earlier that the only thing(s) I have not taken a picture of yet have been the canopy's mod, workings and guts. I'll take a few and post them later tonight. My camera battery is recharging at the moment.

To answer your intial question, the canopy is not hinged. Their is a removable panel on the top that comes off...

Reefer Addict

Here are pic's of my retro'd canopy. Remember that the stand and canopy was initially used with a 120g reef tank and the retro was done about 4 years ago. Trying to save some money by using old stuff laying around in the garage...

Spec's on the retrofit:

2x175w SE Mh's - Just bought and installed new 175W 20k SE XM's

2x110w VHO's

I am not going to be using the VHO bulbs (those are actually old bulbs that I never threw out).

Here is the top view.

Reefer Addict

The good thing that I realized is that I can get to almost any part of the tank through the open panel without ever having to take the canopy completely off!!!! This is partially due to the fact that the prop tank is only 12" high..

Originally posted by Reefer Addict

I have not decided if I am going to go BB so I went with the signature Tigahboy blue bottom look just in case I did.  1/4 plywood with 1/2 foam on top....

Tigah-How did you get that 4x8 sheet of foam home?  A part of it was resting on top of my head as I drove home in my Hummer!!!!!:D

you can fit a lot more than you think in a 2-door civic coupe. just depends on your will power. hehe.

I had them cut it for me. it's free service so might as well.

Reefer Addict

You are the smarter man. I knew they cut wood. Didn't even think of asking them to cut the foam!!!!!!! Good thing that stuff is light. A section of it was really sitting on top of my head as I drove home.:D

1 question for ya joe, what about cooling? with two of those 175w SE's and the actinic supplements, wouldn't the tank be reaching upwards of 80-84 degrees? are you planning to use any fans, or perhaps a chiller for this setup?

i only ask b/c your tank is very shallow, and im sure w/the smaller water volume in the display, it might heat up quite easily... any thoughts?

(sorry if this was already asked im too lazy to re-read everything nowadays)

Reefer Addict

I still have my old chiller in the garage. I don't want to use it do to the fact that it is LOUD!!!!!!! The back of the canopy is open plus I plan not to use the top removable panel. My next step if heat is still a problem will be fans. I have two old fans (again in the garage. bought but never used) that I will use to blow air in and out of the canopy. I didn't want to have to drill the canopy in order to install the fans if I didn't have to. I have the fans that have a temperature gauge which makes the fans blow harder depending on the temp-pretty cool (no pun intended). Again, I am hoping that I will not have to use them. Worse case, bring in the cooler from the garage. :o:P

Reefer Addict

Remember, I will not be supplementing with actinics due to the fact that I will be using 20k mh bulbs. I did this to hopefully decrease potential heating issues. And to try to keep monthly energy costs down by running just 2 total bulbs instead of 4.

Archived