Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

temp. problem in12g JBJ w/48wt PC's?

seahorse

Just started a reef in the 12JBJ deluxe w/48wts PC's and am having a temp problem running close to 88 by evening.........using a maxijet 1200 for return pump to increase flow. No other PH's for now. Anyone else having temp problems in the 12nano?Lights on 8hrs.

Maxi-Jet 1200?!

Check out http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerh...jet.asp?CartId=

That thing is rated at 20W, or over 3 times more wattage than a a Mini-Jet 606 (which is what most people replace the rear pump with). Wattage of powerheads aren't always a directly proportional to its heat generation, but is reasonably close.

A temp of 88 would seem to be a clear indication that there is more heat being generated than can be dissipated by the ambient temperature. As I have discovered, there isn't enough airflow through the system (there is actually no direct vents to the air between the splashguard and water) which hinders the dissipation of any heat that has been generated.

Oh, and just in case, you might want to turn off your heater to make sure that that isn't set incorrectly :)

uscgairdale

A lot of people have reported the same problem with the stock pump. Most people elect to install a MJ606 to eliminate the heat output of the original pump.

There are people using two pumps with good temps as well.

No heater...........I just put in the maxi jet to increase flow with stock pump it has been running warm since I plugged it in......I do have an IcePRobe I could install if it persists but I hate drilling a tank.............

I work at a reefspecialty store. I will try a 6oo maxi........with stock pump I even left the front open and still was warm.........got to be a better mousetrap so to speak.....I would not mind 80-84 but 88 is getting up there!

OK not to add to my heat problem, I took the 1200 out, that was overkill but the water around the substrate is not moving good enough and I hate to add a mini jet of anykind to add to the heat problem..........I guess AC set at 72 in the room might help LOL......needs intake near bottom to help circulate water better....oh well nothing is perfect!

This might be a little off topic but is it hot down there in Florida, and does that effect the temp of the tank. Here in Wisconsin it is about 40 and only gets in the 80's for about a month other wise it is 70's and 60's in the summer,do you think the heat would be a problem being as we don't have a air conditioner or central air?

Archived