Innovative Marine Aquariums

Offical Starfish (Fromia) Thread

bobioden

Originally posted by steelhealr

Bobioden...does your fromia knock anything over in the tank? Is he still doing OK. SH

Actually, he has never knocked anything over. I am still amazed at how fast he moves around, and you don't really see him do it. I can be looking at the tank one minute, turn my back and he will be at the other end of the tank. He is still doing good.

B)

Bob

DRZL-sauras

Arent crown of thorns the ones that are wiping out certain reefs in the pacific?

Anyways, I too am fond and waiting for my tank to mature out a bit more to add one, but i'm BB, and was wondering if it would be a pro or con in my situation. I see that they like to roam LR, so my BB is just that much more surface area to graze on. Not to mention ive made it so that my flow makes the crap that doesnt flow out make whirlpools to keep crap collected. Poopy Feast perhaps? Ive seen some instances where they are considered detrivorous, the con?? well I guess there isn't...damn i love BB!;)

BTW anybody have theirs through nitrate levels higher than 0?

For reasons unknown, my nitrates tend to stay around 20-40. I've hd mine for around a month or so now, and he seems to be doing great from what I can tell.

DRZL-sauras

gpjoe,

thanks for your honesty, Ive heard they are exteremely intolerant of nitrates, one of the hardest things to keep at 0 all the time.

I have had no problems keeping stuff alive in my tank (except everything being eaten by the hidden predator). However, the fromia star I had lasted about three weeks, then decided to dissove.

No prob DRZL. I've tried everything in my powers, (other than totally stop feeding) to get my nitrates lower. I have a fuge with loads of chaeto and caulerpa, (anybody want any?) and I've recently bought a aqua c remora. Both of which haven't helped much. Any recommendations?

Back to Fromia's....bobioden...I've been reading your thread and my interest is piquing. Since the topic has drifted to nitrates, I can keep my nitrates between 0-10ppm. Do you think this would be tolerable by a fromia? Have you ever had any spikes and with any effect on your star? SH

newbiecarlz
Originally posted by DRZL-sauras

Arent crown of thorns the ones that are wiping out certain reefs in the pacific?

Anyways, I too am fond and waiting for my tank to mature out a bit more to add one, but i'm BB, and was wondering if it would be a pro or con in my situation. I see that they like to roam LR, so my BB is just that much more surface area to graze on. Not to mention ive made it so that my flow makes the crap that doesnt flow out make whirlpools to keep crap collected. Poopy Feast perhaps? Ive seen some instances where they are considered detrivorous, the con?? well I guess there isn't...damn i love BB!;)

BTW anybody have theirs through nitrate levels higher than 0?

Ive always had nitrates between 5-10, for some reason i just cant get them down (tank running a year or more now). And for the record, my f.indica is still going well.

Im dont think that having a BB would have any detrimental effects, as you said, it would provide additional area for the star to graze. I dont think fromia eat detritus (im sure some stars do), but ive only ever caught mine eating off the glass and LR, not on the sandbed.

BTW (and im going off topic - sorry bioboden!) yes crown of thorns do decimate reefs, i spent a few weeks diving on the GBR with a guy who used to be employed by the parks & wildlife dept here and his job was to dive all day injecting them with something.. (peroxide or hydroxide perhaps? cant remember). but basically he said it was the most disheartening thing in the world to spend a week clearing a reef then to go back later and find the whole thing eaten anyway. nasty crown of thorns! but anyway.. enough off topic comments ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Bobioden...your thread was an inspiration to me to add a fromia star to my tank. I picked one up at my 'lfs', however, the description on LA doesn't seem to match 100%. So...I hope you can help me confirm that this is indeed a fromia milleporella. I did a very long acclimation and here is the star, alive, in the tank. It does look like the picture of the Red and Black Fromia on LA:

fromia1.jpg

fromia2.jpg

Thanks ..and...if I did score a fromia, count me in as a bobioden 'kohei'. LOL. SH

Well...I'll stay as a member here. I was able to I.D this with help from RShimek. It is a fromia indica, or Indian Sea Star or Red and Black Sea Star. It is reefsafe, so, I'll keep it, although, his input was that they eat sponges and can slowly waste away over time. I don't think it would have as good a chance at the lfs, considering where they had it located. SH

Honestly...not sure..it survived for 2 days after acclimation. I think most likely it just slowly died from the change from what it was living in from the lfs and probably the scavengers got it. Unless it was primarily attacked, but, who would have been the culprit? I don't think it was my sixline??? I'll say one thing, they liquefy quickly and my corals closed up after it died. Back to doing water changes. SH

..I"ll add one last note. A dying sea star is not a good thing for your tank. Despite 'emergency nano procedures', I lost about 30% of my zoos...closed up and never reopened. SH

What a pity - I agree that it was probably a stress response after moving, but if you acclimated properly then its very unfortunate. I doubt the six line would have been a culprit (i also have a six line with my f.indica) but then all fish are different. And to lose your zoas as well.. :*( i guess thats the risk you take in this hobby!

how are everyone else's fromias going? (mine is still good)

Originally posted by steelhealr

Scratch my membership...found the fromia shredded to pieces on the substrate tonite after coming home from work. How sad. SH

Wow, sorry to hear about your Fromia steelhealr. I was out of town the past few weeks and just saw the posts on this thread.

They are really hard to acclimate to a tank, and most don't make it past the first few months.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Bob

Originally posted by newbiecarlz

how are everyone else's fromias going? (mine is still good)

Mine is still doing great too. He tends to hide, sometimes for a week or more, then he is outfront for and extended period of time.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

hey bobioden i just checked that link in your sig. and realized that your tank is the tank that inspired me to start a reef tank..your tank looks great and saved me from doing a FOWLR...that would have been a mistake...anyway thank you..