SaltCritters.com

Offical Starfish (Fromia) Thread

bobioden

Originally posted by redparrotbubbles85

What does algae film on the glass actually look like? is it just like green algae that makes it hard to see through the glass?

Yes, that is what I am taking it to be.

Bob

Just for the sake of input...I've had a fromia happy and healthy since novermber 11th. I watch this guy run marathons around my liverock all day, scouring for food or whatever. Definatly a cool nano inhabitant.

-note:I feed my tank high amounts of food, so the fromia may eat some of the left overs, but I've never witnessed it.

The Little Ninja...

9040DSCF0286.jpg

Very nice looking Fromia, BelowH2O. I have never seen mine eat either.

I am just amazed how fast he can get around the tank.

Thanks guys for sharing the pics.

Bob

newbiecarlz

Hmm im keen to get one too now.. ive been thinking about it for a while and a local reefer i picked some frags up from the other day told me she has had hers for a while with no probs. wasnt sure if it was a good idea in a nano but wetwebmedia says fromia are a hardy species.

since my tank is now pretty established (9+ months) i guess it might be ok.. also my housemates managed to kill my snails (unsure how) while i was away and havent replaced them yet so my LR has a healthy growth of stuff on it. ill keep u updated :)

newbiecarlz

here it is.. fromia indica!

it was funny, i called the LFS to see if they had any, the owner of the store said they had a few 'small red ones' that had been in store 'a few weeks'and sounded really embarassed that he didnt know what type they were. I decided to take my chances and was pleasantly surprised when i arrived and he got the fish id book out and said 'i think its this one' lol. he was pointing to fromia indica. they are local around here so im surprised he didnt know anyway, but hey, at least he knows for next time.. silly LFS

heres a piccy (note cbs trying to steal the limelight.. lol)

• 2 weeks later...
newbiecarlz

Hey has anyone else noticed sudden removal of algae patches since adding their star?

around xmas time my snails (and my blenny :( ) died while housemates looked after my tank (pH got too high - not enough water changes is the only cause i can think of). snails around here are way overpriced ($18 ) each, so havent been too keen to replace them. so the algae started slowly growing on my LR for a few months, then i added my star.

now i see big patches of LR (like maybe 2 inches square) that have become completely denuded of algae overnight! i thought they ate algal/bacterial film not the green shaggy stuff.. ? if not the star, it could be a new (and as yet unseen) hitch hiker from a recent LR addition, but what can do that? even when i had snails they never got the LR that clean, and in such a big patch ???

Interesting. I have not noticed that in my tank. My star spends alot of time on the LR but it always looks the same after he moves.

I thought I lost him last week. Haden't seen him for 5 days and I looked everywhere. One morning there he was. And I meand I searched that tank.

9 weeks now and doing well.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
newbiecarlz

my fromia was attached to the glass this afternoon and realised it was feeding!

i grabbed my camera and snapped some pics. i hadnt cleaned the glass for almost a week and there is a light film of algae on it, i assume that was what it was eating.

newbiecarlz

from what i understand, starfish feed by everting their stomach onto the food, so i assume thats what im seeing here - the everted stomach. it was interesting as i was taking pics the starfish began to retract its stomach back in, it only took a few minutes to go back to normal.

while it was feeding it didnt have its normal amount of tube feet extended either, it seemed to have its ambilucaral grooves (the lines down each leg)'clamped' a bit.

Great pics. I love the close-up on the second pic. I have seen mine do that before too, and didn't what he was doing. Whenver mine is on the glass I snap pics like crazy, they look completly different when they show their underside.

B)

Bob

I am thinking about getting a Fromia Marble Star for my 29g in a few months. Any one know of a reason Why this would be a bad Idea, or will it be ok?

Have your read this thread at all? They are very hard to keep. They should only be added to a older established tank (6 months to a year at the very minimum), and the survival rate is not very good. Those are just a few reasons why they might re-consider getting one.

Bob

newbiecarlz
Originally posted by bobioden

Great pics. I love the close-up on the second pic. I have seen mine do that before too, and didn't what he was doing. Whenver mine is on the glass I snap pics like crazy, they look completly different when they show their underside.

B)  

Bob

yeah they are totally amazing creatures - i love how they are so symmetrical. all of their organs are replicated in each arm, they just have such a unique anatomy. have you ever wondered what its like to be a starfish? they cant see, and they have no 'front', they live in water but cant swim, and yet they are so mobile.

i think my starfish is one of the coolest things i have ever kept.

Originally posted by newbiecarlz

have you ever wondered what its like to be a starfish?  

i think my starfish is one of the coolest things i have ever kept.

Yes, I suppose it would be cool to be one, until a Harlequin Shrimp comes over and has one of your arms for lunch :*(

They are amazing animals, and I am glad I am getting a chance to keep one.

B)

Bob

OK, the only negative thing about my starfish. He likes the back of the tank as much as the front. He can go for days and days before he makes an appearance out front.

:|

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I had a fromia star for like 3 months, it went inside a big piece of live rock and I haven't seen it since then, maybe it died in there since it didn't have anything to eat.:|

It was/is in my 10g and it looked very healthy the last time I saw it. I only acclimate it for like 1 hour.

ive had a chocolate chip in my 20L (besides countlesss ones i feed to my harlequin (= )he was very peacful for several months then all of a sudden he attacked my green star polyps, i was sad to sell him back because of his personality, lounging about all day but coral is a little more rare than a $10 starfish. Keep an eye on him.

I've had my Fromia a little over a week. For the first few days all he did was hang out on the glass at the top of the tank. But lately he's been all over. He's special because he has six legs. fishtank010.jpg

brian19365

You want to know why he is wondering..................................................................

He is starving idiot