SaltCritters.com

Most effective moonlights?

NanoBob

Hi all!

I have one of the 24 gal Nanocube without moonlights. I want to add some,but was wondering what the best type is. More importantly which are the most beneficial and effective for representing natural moonlight? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hmm, I don't know about "best" moonlights as far as natural moonlight representation, but I installed cold cathode ray tubes (CCRs) in my tank (the ones used for the inside of computers). I love the look and, about 1 week after installing them, I woke up to find one of my cleaner shrimp had eggs in his/her tail. Now, over a month later, I've witnessed one spawning (baby cleaner shrimp being happily gobbled up my goby) and BOTH cleaners constantly have eggs in their tails.

So, I'd say that they like the CCRs, as they are reproducing heavily. They also provide good illumination and, having hooked up a variable power supply, I can adjust the moonlight to be brighter or darker at any time. Helpful if I want to see something at night (just turn it up without turning on the main lights) or give them more darkness (new moon!).

Just my two cents. Oh, and I have a 10gal standard with the 96w Powerquad fixture. I purchased the pack fo 2 12" CCRs, drilled a hole in the side of my fixture and I was good to go. They are tubes rather than the LED spotlights and the hole setup cost about $20 -- full tank coverage.

Happy reefing!

I also have the 24G NCDX. I used the Blue Neon tube 12 volt DC used in cars. Got it from AutoZone for around $15.00. Took the carlighter adapter off and used a 12volt charger I had laying around. Works great and like the CCR's mentioned above give complete tank coverage and a nice glow.

HTH,

Trekbear

Hi...I'll confuse the issue. I built a beautiful moonlight setup for my 46G FW tank and it looks great. It was pretty simple and would be a snap for your Nano. I used the classic 4000 MCD Blue LEDS. Here is a link to see how it looks. I have it set up on a timer to come on when the regular tank lights come off. You can also read the thread which gives info. If you need any help if you choose this method, you can PM me. Good luck. SH

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...=80672&st=0&hl=

i believe you must get lights that produce the wavelength of real moonlight which I found that the spectrum needed was between 470nm and 480nm.

I bought my CCRs off of ebay, just look for the ones for computers, 3-12volts (they have various lengths, 12-inch ones are perfect for the 96watt powerquad). I then purchased a variable power adapter, 3-12volts (from Fry's electronic store -- beware this evil store! it will suck all the money outta your pocket!).

The CCRs come with a little adapter thingie that the lights plug into. Cut the wires coming out of the adapter and splice them onto the power adapter (they will only work when spliced correctly, so twist the wires and plug it in .. doesn't work, switch em, hehe).

I even used heat-shrink tubing around my splicing to protect it against fraying, moisture, etc.. I then used the velcro (with added superglue to keep it sticking in the heat) to attach the adapter to the side of my lighting unit.

As handicapped as I am when it comes to DIY crap, even I could do it! It came out very nice and looks very clean; I've got adjustable brightness and when the lights eventually burn out, I just buy a new set and plug them into the existing adapter -- no re-wiring necessary. And, like I stated above, my cleaner shrimps both have eggs in their tails all the time (had a "spawning" last night, in fact -- cute little baby cleaners and a very fat goby), which makes me think that they, at least, believe it is the moon.

Happy reefing!

shao-lin nano

Can anybody post some pics of their moonlight mods? The tank with just the moonlight and how it looks under the hood?

On a related topic... Does anyone use a lunar tracker and if so have you noticed a diffrence in livestock color and/or activity? They are pretty pricey and I want to know if it would be worth it. A manual dimmer would basically do the same thing, but this is automated and would give me more time to do other things:)

Just curious,

Bob

I bought CCFL tubes and run them @ 6vdc max. Gives a very nice effect and looks close to the LED's in color (just not as bright. Here is a pic of the hood and a pic of the tank. The stock LED's are on too. In the pic of the hood they are at 12vdc so they can be seen better.

Moonlights.jpg

MLightsOn.jpg

doncb,

Geat idea on droping the voltage to the CCR. I aready run them at 12v on all my cichlid tanks. I'll have to try droping the voltage, I'm sure I'll like it even better. I'm going to add them to my 24g even though I have the LEDs that way I can put them on timers.

Drew

Originally posted by drparker

doncb,

Geat idea on droping the voltage to the CCR. I aready run them at 12v on all my cichlid tanks. I'll have to try droping the voltage, I'm sure I'll like it even better. I'm going to add them to my 24g even though I have the LEDs that way I can put them on timers.

Drew

I bought one of those wall warts that has selectable voltages which is nice. At some of the lower voltages you only get part of each tube lit (on a 2 tube set-up like mine) but it doesn't seem to bother the lamps. 12v is pretty bright bu6 6v looks pretty good. I leave the stock LED's on too. When new they were pretty bright but now they have dropped about half, which matches the CCFL's.

Doncb,

I hooked one of my single CCFL tubes up to a 6v 1000ma and only get 80% of the bulb to lite. What's amp rating on your supply?

Drew

Doncb,

I hooked one of my single CCFL tubes up to a 6v 1000ma and only get 80% of the bulb to lite. What's amp rating on your supply?

Drew

Mine does the same thing. FL tubes act different than normal lamps when the voltage is reduced.

Mine does the same thing. FL tubes act different than normal lamps when the voltage is reduced.

Great so I'm not crazy. :P I hooked two lights into the control box and more of each bulb lite than when just one was attached.

Then the pic of your tank(cover closed) is with only part of each bulb lit? I noticed that my florescent mushrooms don't glow under CCFL like they do under the LEDs.

Drew

Great so I'm not crazy. :P I hooked two lights into the control box and more of each bulb lite than when just one was attached.

Then the pic of your tank(cover closed) is with only part of each bulb lit?  I noticed that my florescent mushrooms don't glow under CCFL like they do under the LEDs.

Drew

About 3/4 of each bulb is lit in that pic.

I'm sure the wavelength is a bit different on the CCFL vs. the LED's. I've got a green fluorescent mushroom in my tank and it glows some but it's not near one of the LED's so can't really compare. One thing I am going to be doing in the next couple of weeks is to DIY an LED aray of 4 468nm & 2 430nm LED's with clear lenses. The lenses should spread the light so they cover a wider area of the tank. That's my bigest problem w/ the stock LED's, no coverage. Just looks like tubes of light. Waiting for the lenses to come in.

Archived