Pod Your Reef

Metal Halide Balast

Asterix

Hello, If I take 3 400 Watt metal halide balist made for growing plants, Take out the plant bulb and buy some 10k Coral bulbs would it work for corals? Is there a difference between fish halide and plant halide? I figure I will save a ton of $$$$ cause I can make hoods from polished Stainless have it bent and welded for free...TY...I have never used MH before and plan on using it for my 125 and getting actinic from a mix of PC's and NO's

WHOLY sh*tez...I didnt even realize how many watts that is!!!  thats 1200Watts just from the 10K Spectrum, Not including 600 Watts of actinic that means 1800 Watts total, which is  14.4 Watts per gallon!!!! WHOAAA!! I better use 250's ;)  I think 14.4 Watts PGallon = Massive stony bleaching, What do you think:?

asterix,

that is exactly what I did with My dual 400W setup. I bought it on ebay from a pot farmer that went out of business and into jail. got it for $100 shipped from CA.

The problem is you need to know the ANSCII? code I think mine are m39 but I haven't looked for a while I could be wrong about the number. The M39 ones are standard coil and tar ballasts they run hot and they don't give you as much par as a HQI or even an E-ballast (Ice Cap). I am using the hellolights 400W Xanium 15k bulb heres my web address:

Http://Toyfreek.50megs.com

I used a large mixing bowl with a mirrored aluminum reflecter inside of it. the whole thing cost me $185 with the bulb and I still have another ballast and socket for upgrades later ;)

HTH,

Toy

Ps. Its a 35 hex and I dont use actinics.

(Edited by Toyfreek at 6:12 pm on June 6, 2002)

i just bought 2 -175 Advanced MH ballast on ebay. it just came with the socket, ballast, and capacitor. toy, do you know how to wire them?

BlondeNaso1

This is usually how it goes....White wire is the positive, black is negative, and green is the ground.  I have an Icecap ballast for my 175.  Talk about ice, the ballast never gets hot and it work great.  I thought the ballast we use are for M58??? but I could be wrong.

Blonde naso,

you could be right one of them is the correct MV ballast to run Iwasaki's but I get confused. Dont take my word for it look it up for sure before buying.

Toy

Archived