Pod Your Reef

Nano cube with below or behind the tank sump?

Surfzup2k4

I can't seem to be finding too much with the search but I am researching possibilities for a 24g nano cube setup. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this as they would a normal tank? Thanks

Not sure too many people do it because it would defeat the purpose of the nanocube... Why spend 100-200 dollars on a cube just to fore go the filtration when you can spend under 50 on a tank if you plan to hook up a sump.

well, I like the shape of the cube. It seems like it would be a simple way to add water volume for stability and a good bit of macro for nutrient absorbtion. It seems like it would be pretty darn flood proof since there would be essentially 2 bulkheads to prevent too much water from leaving in the case of a power outage. If I got the cube, I would then have an empty 10 and a 20l I could use. The back of the nano cubes are glass right?

I think he means turning the back part into a fuge. If that's what you mean, yes it is done all the time. Most people take everything out of the back, except maybe a sponge or carbon/etc in the one chamber, turn the others into live rubble/macro fuge with a small fuge light in the back.

no, I am actually talking about making a hole or two in the rear of the cube to add a larger sump or fuge than what the small partitioned portion on a stock cube can offer.

thanks man, I was just wondering if it could/ had been done. With the nano-cubers modding their cubes as much as they do, I am surprised it isn't a common practice :D

I'm in the process of starting my 12g Cube setup. I will be drilling the bottom of the cube for a stockman pipe to my custom fuge/sump and a return line. I'll also have a closed loop system hooked up to a wavemaker with 3 outlets on the back of the cube. Right now, I'm building a custom stand to go under my desk. I will be cutting a hole in my desk for the drain/return lines. I can always cover the hole with a nice grommet if need be. I will also have a skimmer in the fuge and an auto-top off system.

My only 2 design requirement are:

1. The cube must maintain its stock look. Nothing haning off the back and no dremelling of the hood.

2. Sound is an issue as well, as it's on my work desk and it can't be louder than any of my computers.

This is basically a crazy project as I could have setup a nice 90 gallon setup for about the same price, but the point is to have a full blown system sitting on my desk while maintaining the stock nanocube look.

Archived