ReefCleaners.org

NEED INFO ABOUT KEEPING CORALS

SaltyTang

HELLO   For my birthday my parents gave me pet shop giftcertificates so I could get a saltwater tank Right now I juist have fish But I want to get corals but heard they are hard to keep.  Right now I have a 20 HI and am saving up my money for corals and possibly another fish the guy at the petshop said I shouldnt put anymore fish in but they are always a little conservative dont you think, So anyway, What do I need for corals? here is a pic of my tank the fish are 2 tangs, and I forgot the name of the other that is purpleish

printerdown01

Ok Ok, first thing first: :circle:WELCOME!!:circle: Always glad to see a new face around here!

Second::birthday:

Now to the post:  The most important thing to remember when keeping corals is to remember that corals feed through  In other words they need very bright light (sorry if this seems trivial, but I don't know where you are starting out here, so I'm going to start with the basics). It is true some corals are hard to keep, while others are relativly easy... I right now am working on a web page that will give beginners a good idea of what they can keep in thier tanks based upon thier level of lighting (I'll try to have it up tonight for you).  The other important factor is biological filtration: Live Rock and Live Sand (LR and LS -you will see it refered to this way on most posts). A general rule is 1lb per gallon... This will provide a natual filtration for the tank. The most expensive things you will have to buy for the tank are lights and LR! These are not cheap but will provide life support for the tank! And the most important thing you can do to create a successful reef is RESEARCH! Ask a million questions and read as many books and posts as you can!  Look around at other members nanos, check out the "members nano reefs" under the Nano Reef Message Board and also check out the members nanos under "information." Two questions for you: What type of lighting do you have? and Do you have any specific quesions, or are you looking for general advice?

i second with printerdown. do research on the corals you want to buy before buying it. give us some specs on your tank. that would be more helpful.

Hi, welcome to nano-reef.com!  

I agree with the advice printerdown's given you.

However, I also wanted to mention that tangs are not suitable fish for a 20 gallon tank.  Even when they are small, they need more swimming room than a small tank provides.  I'd suggest exchanging them for something more suitable, such as a clownfish.

printerdown u better dedicate that particular lin kto me...rememeber I asked for it.. JUST KIDDING

Anyway cant wait for it to come out. I am working on one myself.

My Alife 7

Yes, tangs aren't suitable for that size tank. You should definitely trade them in for two clowns or something... Also, what type of lighting are you currently using on your tank?

Happy birthday and welcome to the forum.

Printerdown01 got most of the bases covered.

Just remeber that lighting and live rocks are the most important part of a reef tank.  Save enough money to get the best you can afford for these two items and then consider what corals you could keep with the lighting you got.

Also, read read and read more.

Have a look at the members tanks, you'll get many ideas and can use thier tanks as a guideline for your tank.

Good luck.

Archived