Pod Your Reef

my mini explorer pico

rickbirdman

rickbirdman

here's my pico, its been up for about a month now. i have a rock with 5 shrooms and about 4 feather dusters, and my other has some zoo's that i cant really id. i have a florecent 15 watt light acting as my temp light, i'm getting a coralife 18 watt lamp soon.and i have a xp2 filter acting as my power head and filter with lr rubble. right now i have 2 bumble bee snails, 1 turbo snail, and 2 blue legged hermit crabs. For the hot summer days i have a pc fan on the top of my desk pointing at the surface.

13671PIC00007.jpg

13671PIC00009-med.jpg

13671PIC00017-med.jpg

XP2 holy crap how long you think it will last chokin the flow down so much ? IMO I'd start lookin for something that pushes less so you don't kill a perfectly good canister filter..

neanderthalman

Do yourself a favor and do away with the pc fan blowing air onto the surface of the water. I was having heat problems in my pico last summer, and my first solution was to do the same thing. There were two problems associated with that damn fan. The first one was evaporation. It cooled the water all right, but it evaporated about an inch of water every 12 hours. The second is that the fan only lasted about three days, before salt creep destroyed it. There's still a scorch mark on my acrylic top from when it shorted. The cheap solution that worked for me was to point a fan at the outside of my tank. Check out http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...8602#post468602

neanderthalman

The salt corroded the metal parts of the fan, and the saltwater is also highly conductive, so it shorted. The arc left a nice brown burn mark behind.

Archived