Pod Your Reef

NC 6 vs NC 12 (dx)?

Tigahboy

I know i've slammed on nano cubes in the past, but this recent nano cube modding craze has gotten me interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

So for all you nano cube experts, which cube should I purchase - NC 6 or NC 12 dx? And how much lighting have folks safely kept under each hood (yes, the 6 is fairly new, but I figure some folks have already increased the lighting by now)?

My main concerns are temp issues and lack of adequate ventilation w/ the closed top. Will there be a huge difference in cost of set-up between the 2 choices?

I plan to put my ricordea in there or other softies.

thanks in advanced.

sir winston mulligan

thats cool....then chris at nanocustoms.com is the guy to talk to...i think he can cram like 96 watts im the hood safely...i would say go with the 12dx or maybe even the new 24g

sir winston mulligan

the way i figure it is more water volume, more options in lighting, more room for your beautiful corals...thats just my opinion i have a 12dx and so far im very satisfied

I'd go with 12. I believe rbaby has 128w in a 12dx. Why pay that much for a 6 when you can get twice for a few $ more. Much more light options going with the 12 also.

good points y'all.

but what happened to all those "smaller is better/pico" folks? They seem to be silent on the issue. hehe.

i have both the 6 and 12 nanocube.(original & deluxe). i like the 6 gallon bec of its pico parameters. i recently added a 7 wt fuge light to it but had to remove one of the fans to do so. the fan cover is clear plasic so it works well back there. the only complaint i have with the 6 gallon so far is the loud fan. even with only one fan its very loud. more loud than the fan in the deluxe 12. so i will investigate into finding a better quality fan . also the moonlights built in are not as good as i anticipated. they do not diffuse well throught the tank, since they are wedged between the 50/50 bulb. with any additional modifications im afraid they might be blocked.

also,,,,,,, the moonlights can not be left on 24 hrs. you only have the option of either having the 18wts on or moonlights on. both cannot be on at same time. im sure there is a way to rewire this but i figured jbj would of thought of this issue in advance.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I'd say be different Tigah, get the 6. Everyone has a 12. Plus you wanted to stay small, after seeing your crazy pico I'd get the 6. Plus Chris has upgraded the 6 to three 18 watts PC's.

It's awesome to have you cross over to our side, you have such a nice tank, I cannot wait to see what you do with this one.

Mike

I also say go with the 6. The more people out there with 6s that are trying to make some mods the more ideas we will have to choose from. Besides that I like the 6s footprint, I just got mine in yesterday and plan to make some mods before setting it up. Skip

The Nano-Cube 6g vs 12g is kind of misleading. The 6g is smaller, but not that much smaller. I really like the new hood design and the proportions of the 6g. Given its attractive footprint and upgradability, I think the 6g is a great choice for a softy/LPS tank. The 12g may have more lighting options, but it is also more expensive (stock and upgraded).

Whichever Cube you choose, I can't wait to see what you will put together!

and also the 6 is also a lot cheaper if you think about the grnd scheme of things

including live stock, rock, and upgrades

the 12 can cram more lights in there and needs more rock and you know youre gunna fill it up anyways so i'd say the 6 too

and i am just for the smaller tank

either really small or really big

man...so hard to decide. y'all make some good points. shall I leave it up to the toss of a coin? haha.

mike - nanocubes are a completely foreign universe to me. Even aquascaping is a lot easier for me for long tanks. Cubes seem rather difficult. I doubt I can accomplish as much as you and larnie w/ your nanocubes. but thanks for the compliments! =)

yea tigah you got bit by the nano bug too. i love my 12g. dx, don't even consider the 6. The dx has a nice amount of light in, i love the simplicity of it and the COST. Damn it's nice to set up a tank for like $150.00. I don't think i'll add more light to it, i want to keep it pretty stock.

well the nano bug was just one of many bugs to bite me.

I set-up a pico already, next will be this nanocube....then a minibow. ;)

yeah. the nc dx stock lights seem sufficient for softies and lps...so if i plan to keep only these less light needy corals, do I need to mod the lights on the dx? actually...how many watts come stock on a dx anyway? haha.

CRAVIN CRITTERS

Man tiga less than a day and you already have 2 pages. Sometimes I think people have little buzzers on there computers that buzz when you get on.

Archived