Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

Originally posted by selch

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I have a new one!

This 99% dead green Acro skeleton. Just picked up this beauty Tuesday night - and returned it Wednesday night after several members kindly informed me of my poor purchase. Stupid newbie.

IMGP1885.jpg

Why did they tell you to return it? If that thing would've recovered it would've looked sweet! Is that orange polyps I see?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Wow this really is a great thread for beginners...too bad it wasn't around before I got starting seeing as how I have a Seaclone and 2 Powersweeps. But at this point by Purple Dottyback has definatly been my worst purchase. I had an awesome yellow goby that was my favorite fish, picked up a dotty, thinking iwould be okay and the next day the goby was on life support. I managed to save him, but now the dotty spends his days sitting in a breeding divider...I'm looking to get a new 6g nano for him, but the cubes seem to be a popular item on this thread too.

Here's a thought, what about a "Great Purchases I've Made" Thread to help out us newbies.

Originally posted by VicSkimmr

Why did they tell you to return it?  If that thing would've recovered it would've looked sweet!  Is that orange polyps I see?

You can read the thread here. I think it would have looked sweet too but that thing was so far gone I think it would have taken forever to bounce back, if at all.

It sucks you had to take it back, but everybody in that thread was probably right, it's pretty hard to nurse an acropora back to health, even in very mature tanks.

shaggydoo541

I regret a number of purchases such as my zoomed PH, swing-arm salinity meter, stupid generic petsmart non-submersible heater, and last of all various additives from petsmart like phytoplankton that is basically just polution in a bottle. Basically all just stupid newb mistakes, and I'm sure I'll make more, but at least I'm constantly learning.

shaggydoo541

Oh and how could I forget my dumbest purchase ever... a pair of DAMSELS!!! I hate them so much. Can't catch them w/o tearing the whole tank apart and can't get any new fish til they are gone. I should have listened to people when they said don't get them unless its the only kind you want.

natejonesis

CoraLife AquaGloves..

They're so big and chunky and your finger never reach the tip so you can't really do anything with them except knock over rocks...:angry:

Undertheradar

Hey, I use Aquagloves for when I have to get down and dirty with big things...like moving fresh LR around or overhaul a tank from the ground up. Oh, and let me tell you how nice they are for when I have to grab an urchin! And LEttuce nudis (slugs) arent bad at all. I still have one thats over a year old. You just have to protect all intakes and overflows because they can easily get sucked in.

My worst Purchase:

Olive Brittle Star...ate my 6-line wrasse, velvet nudis, two shrimp...

natejonesis

They're just too bulky for a nano. If I were wrestling alligators for a living then maybe they would find some use....but short of that...nothing.

But I guess it's better than a psychotic Brittle Star...

well lets see first in skimmers A skilter then A visa-jet and finally A prizum pro all are at best worth nothing more than A paper weight save your $$$$ and get A aqua-c i have the urchin pro and love this thing its amazing and make sure you spring for the mag3 the rio 1400 worked well but its no competition for the mag.

Hmm my honey orange damsel, I hate the thing. Guy at LFS sold me a skunk cleaner at his cost and my damsel killed it within 10 minutes

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my list:

1. Sea Clone, although now it is on a three gallon zoo tank and works well enough for that.

2. Lawn mower blenny - Disappeared within a few days never to be seen again.

3. Skilter (should be # 1 on this list)

4. Flame Scallop (should have listened to the research)

5. Sand Sifting Star (Saw something on the side of my tank realized it was what was left of the star something had eaten)

6. Those damned zoos with the nudis on them (pulled out about 30 nudis every other day for about three weeks.)

Alright, I think I am done. Most purchases I've made were good after I learned to do the research. Also, I love the Rio pumps I have. I have found that most powerheads suck, or stop sucking, if you don't clean them. I clean the Rios once every two months or so and they work great. Great thread!

Caesar777

Nothing I'd admit...But it seems that my Ebay coral buys always go bad, even if from reputable sellers.

I'd also just like to add (and EMPHASIZE TO NEWBIES) that Prizms are JUNK! I don't know how they keep selling for so much.. They go on Ebay for no less than $60 or $75! The best skimmer I ever had--short of the AquaC--was a Jebo hang-on-back type, looked like a big, fat Seaclone, and worked really well. Bought it new for $30 or $35 shipped, if I remember right. That was back in my FOWLR days...

Caesar777

By the way.. The Prizms really are LOUD, too, along with being useless.

whatcaneyedo

I like my prizm... I started with a Visi jet! And I paid about $80 for it! That was bad... hmmm what else. How about liverock from ebay infested with aptasia?

Originally posted by gobygirl3

A pair of sexy shrimp which quickly disagppeared in my 12g, never seen them since day I put in there.

yet you list them in your specs :P

whatcaneyedo: isn't that a djin as your avatar? i can't remember which one, isn't he like 5/4 or something from antiquities? i used to have a few of him.

Juzam Djinn, 5/5 Flyer for BBBB from Arabian Nights.

(played in a World Championships or two..)

Cheers,

Fred

• 1 month later...

equipment: 12g nano "larnie" w/fuge + t-5 = 102w total

1. Instant Ocean Salt (contains no trace elements, only ok if you dose)

2. $140 worth of SPS's in a nano w/softies

3. Yumas (all colors except red's die easily)

4. Low-light favia

5. Mandarin Dragonet

6. crappy color zoo's

Archived