Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

Fission Nano Skimmer!!! Its worthless.....

Funny I bought that crap too. But I have used that little pump for a bunch of stuff. It's newest being my ghetto Refugium.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
firstimereefer

A used 12G JBJ OG, The damn ballast was broken. I spent 2 weeks trying to figure out the problem then finally decided to upgrade. Luckily I was still cycling the tank so no big problems.

Oh, this one is easy for me! Goniopora. Absolutely beautiful for about 6 months, and then slowly wasted away to nothing. I kept the skeleton for a while to remind me to research first.

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

My list:

65 Gal DAS aquarium Glass, with huge braces and glued on wood trim making it impossible to install hang on filters; Included an internal “filter” which could not be cleaned and amounted to a sponge attached to a power head. Said it was marine Ready.

Large piece of decretive glass for the above system which the diatoms loved and completely consumed with in a month.

12gal Nc OG… got me in but almost put me right back out too (sold my MTG and D&D collections to pay for it because my wife vetoed the use of communal funding after the DASaster.)

Pretty much every coral I bought for my NC for the last 2 years until I figured out my temps were spiking during the day when I was at work (and wife had the ac off).

Powersweep.

Best?: My clown Berry been through three crashes I could take a ### in the tank and he would just look at me with his puppy dog eyes as if saying “When am I going to warrant something bigger”.

Oh yeah and the original “pair” of clowns I got… It became clear quickly that the “female” wanted nothing less than Berry’s heart on a stake.

worst:

my blue damsel i got about 2 years ago, attacked anything and everything in the tank, no deaths but missing fins and tails, i named him lucifer.

an iron stand for my 55g..its all rusty and nasty i wish i spent the extra money for the wood stand

tiny blue tang..he was awesome for about 4 months til he got ich. i cured it twice but it kept coming back and he eventually died. :(

Best:

my porcupine puffer, humu humu and niger trigger i had for 2 years and gave back to the lfs when i had to move cuz i couldnt bring the tank with me. they were like dogs and pretty much told me when they were hungry. I handfed all of them. im settin up a tank for them right now actually :)

my live rock i got from this guys 140 gallon...paid $80 for 30 pounds and have more hitchhikers than i can even name.

• 1 month later...

how much do you think a LFS pays for coral.. for example.. a $60 frogspawn

so many LFS haters out there

sorry you all got shafted, readn' so much bad advice that I think i'm gettn sick

if i heard any of this much at my shop i'd kill

anyway... worst buy-- the skilter-sounded like an apache helicopter was takn' off in my livingroom

oh and a 28wt pc for a 10g..god i was so young n' dumb

Clownfish...all cutesy but aggressive as hell...if I could catch them and feed them to the dog, I would...

best thing...my 2 dwarf lions and my blue spot puffer named Bob...

I hand feed these three... :)

• 2 months later...

Used iceprobe for $102.90. The paint on ice nut probe is chipping. Some parts are rusty. Will the metal that is showing on the probe chiller effect the inhabitants of my tank?

The iceprobe works and it can turn water into ice crystals on the probe, but the problem is the paint chipping part and the material, which I think is metal touching the saltwater. The probe part.

------------

But the skilter 250 is by far the worst. -$55

Archived