Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

Hi my name is Randy, I am a salt tank junkie,

Oh please tell me what dumb money you spent on your tank.

I don't know about you but I got some I really regret, mostly from researching AFTER the fact. Doh! Maybe it was not exactly a thing, maybe it was a place, either way, you have got to have one of these eating at you that telling us all about would make you feel better :D

Sit down, take a deep breath and tell the group what got you....if it helps, we are all your friends, we promise not to laugh (yea right)

You are in your special safe place now...

(what happens in group, stays in group)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda figured someone was going to do that,

Ok, when I first decided to do salt, I went to the LFS, and bought all I could there.

I spent $9.00 a pound for live rock (30lbs) $270 fricken bucks on rock.... Then I found TBS amoung other places still irritates me

Ok, my turn. A berlin air-lift skimmer, then a seaclone. Two wrongs didn't make a right. Oh, and anything purchased from Aquarium Adventure in Columbus, Ohio. They are way over-priced.

We talking equipment or livestock? lol.

Equipment: A Skilter

Livestock: Centropyge eiblii, Gobiosoma citrinus, and I'm beginning to think the new pistol shrimp may fit into that category if he doesn't PICK A HOLE and stay there!! lol (I'm sick of coming in and staring at clouds and puffs of sand all day long..;) )

Cheers,

Fred

christmas present from psyco ex-gf = wever goby = suicidal mainaic fish that one day after 3 months in the tank ate anything it could catch (2 blood shrimp my clean up crew and my first cherub angel) then went carpet surfing (kina reminds me of her actually : )

something i purchased would havlf to be anything cheep. over 1500 dollars later i learned my lesson. get what you want in the forst place becuase you'll just buy it later.

Hi..We have an Aquarium Adventure here on LI. NanoCube 24G, $399. Ebay $240 (thank goodness I didn't buy there). So, I'm reading this thread so I learn. SH

flame scallop. It went to the back of the tank and stayed there AFTER knocking over a good potion of the reef structure. I think it is still alive back there . . .

JayGlaze379

Every once in a while the Long Island Aquarium Adventure has 50% off coral sales though, plus if you join their fish club, another 25% on top of that. Ive gotten some cheap stuff there like that.

without a doubt a flower pot coral (Goniopora species). i had vowed NEVER to buy one, saw one in a store, thought it was something else and bought it. got it home and looked it up and went "OH @#%^!!" lasted three grim weeks.

from that second on, only zoos, rics and shrooms for me.

nalbar

The Good- Red Japanese pistol shrimp: No need to syphon detritus out of the sand anymore :)

The Bad- Red Linkia starfish: I tried them twice, and they did not fare well in my nano.

Bright pink Goniopora- This guy is still alive, But is not doing so well. (I had the Goni for 6 months now)

The Ugly- Buying a dyed coral of any type: If the coral is a solid bright color, be sure to question the lfs people if it is, and if it is, don't buy it.

Kappa...do you get a lot of blowing sand with the pistol or did it eventually just settle down and stop all the digging?

Cheers,

Fred

The pistol stops digging. I only see detritus kick up every once in a while. He usually digs after I use my turkey baster to blow the sand around at the acylic side walls. That usually messes up a few of his burrows, so he pushes out the sand once again. I like the way my pistol would push stuff back into view such as fallen frags, shells, and small rocks that have fallen behind the rock aqua structure. I lost a few small frags that way before, and now things are A-okay.

Sorry, I edited alot, because there was alot of english errors. :(

My list is kind of long. We'll start with the protein skimmers. Note that some of these were bought by my mom for her tank, and some I bought for my tank.

Skilter

Visi-jet

Prizm

Berlin H.O.T. (POS in my opinion)

Also, ZooMed powersweeps. They should be renamed to powerstucks, as mine would malfunction, on average, twice a day. They're also huge, and produce a LOT of heat.

Lets see... what else. A "tapwater filter" (DI), retails for $30, and it should list on the guarentee that it will give you a hair algae problem that you can fight for 6 months, fun times.

CoralVue metal halide bulbs. Mine was "20k," and yet looked like a 6500 bulb. It was very yellow. I then contacted CoralVue about getting it replaced, and after 3 months of him blowing me off, I decided to go with an AB bulb and discredit the CoralVue name EVERY chance I get.

all the usual newb stuff: skilter, visijet skimmer (bleah), wrong lighting (get mh's, it's worth it), powersweep, marc weiss, crap test kits, expensive supps, difficult corals, mismatched livestock, etc.

hey, gimme a break. there barely was an internet back then. it was the old old version, invented by gore.

BKtomodachi

Why does everyone hate powersweeps? I like mine... it doesnt stick at all, but I clean it every week just as I would any other powerhead.

EPICTANKHERE

the LFS sold me a 9watt antic and ballast for $40 to go with my stock 12watt, then told me i will be able to get any coral i want! F*@KERS.

I don't think that counts, EPIC...I think we're talking purchases made of your own free will and volition..;) LOL

Cheers,

Fred

Perpetual98

I've got two Coralvue 250W 20,000K halides and I really like them. I don't supplement them with anything and they still make the greens and blues pop and they're a year old. My photo period isn't terribly long, and there was a stretch where I didn't use them, for a few months when I had a bad GHA problem.

Archived