Coral Vue Hydros

Can a Nano Cube Accomodate All Corals?

christs

Hi Folks,

I am considering a Nano Cube mainly for corals and perhaps an anenome. Am I crazy? Is the lighting sufficient?

This is the model that I am considering:

6 G Nano Cube

The self-contained Nano Cube offers the easiest solution for the hobbyist that demands high-tech performance in a miniature environment. This elegant system offers panoramic viewing with smooth rounded glass corners, built-in 3 stage filtration system, and a powercompact lighting system. The 6 gallon system has a heavy duty ABS top that can be flipped back and held in place for tank cleaning and feeding. Measures 11.8” (L) x 13.4” (W) x 11.8” (H). A perfect aquarium setup for a mini-reef or planted aquarium. This model comes with (1) 18 watt combo bulb, 2 Nite-VU LED moonlights, two cooling fans, 106 gph pump and integrated ballast.

With the stock lighting it is suitable for LPS and soft corals along with zoos and polyps. For SPS corals, clams, and anenomes you will need more light that the nanocube 6 currently has.

It is unlikely that a nanocube 6 will be ideal for any sps, anemones, clams or other light demanding reef critters. And based on its small volume, you can nix any chance of keeping most fish out there. unless of course you completely junk the hood and have an open top or somethin else to bring in more light. but then what's the point of gettin the 6 then? nanocube 12 will give u better chances tho w/ less work involved.

But there are so many awesome soft corals and LPS out there that can potentially do well in a nanocube 6.

I second skipm's suggestion - I have a nanocustoms upgraded hood on my 12g nanocube, its worth every penny. You get to keep the clean look of the nanocube (he keeps the lights inside the hood instead of ripping it off and hangling lights). Get in line for his nanocube modded 6 gallon, and you can rest assured almost all corals and anemones will be ok under those lights. About the volume being enough, I don't know the answer to that.

Toni

Archived