SaltCritters.com

This Make Sense?

JROC

Very happy to find this board! I hae had a 200 and a 55 gallon reef, each did very well. I am now setting up a 3 gallon nano.

I have the basics in place, and just wanted to do a reality check on my philosophy on this one.

Feedback much appreciated!

Existing -

> Custom 3.5 Gallon Diamond Hex, with Mirror back plates - 12.5 x 12

> 1 13watt PC 5500K daylight - approx. 4 inches off water

> about 3 inches sand, with 1 cup live sand on top

> Mini Jet @ 117GPH

> 2.2 lbs. Live Rock - pacific branch

> Tropic Marin Salt

> 50 watt heater (not on now!)

Planned

> 1 13watt "blue" 7100K PC

> a little more live sand from another source

> more Live Rock

> No Fish

> bubble coral, mushrooms, 2-3 tiny hermits, button polyps, maybe a clam down the road, a few other samll corals

Okay there is the stuff. I am convinced that I do not need a skimmer or other "filter" on this tank.

My plan is to do a very small water change every day or two. About a quart or less. This should keep the trace levels and mineral levels up, and the organics down. If I am consistent I do not believe that this will "shock" the tank with "wild" parameter swings - temp and salinty the same on change water should make it work. If I am doing it so often I do not see how it could ever get too out of whack.

I may use a little kalkwasser for make-up if I thnk it will help the coralline and stonies if I have any.

What are your thoughts!!

second2n0ne

Excellent design!  I love the simple/natural approach.  You can problaby get away with weekly water changes.

HuBu are you saying that because you think that is not enough flow, or because you think I need something to vary the flow angles?

Nishant3789

you may want more lighting if you can fit iton there. if u mean actinic when u say blue ure going to need some regular light (6500k+). OTherwise sounds great! its good to kno u have years of rreefkepping knowladge behind you, im sure ure tank will be great and remember to posdt pics of it! btw, did your tank come with the 13 watt? if so where did you get it from? thanks

nishant

quiksilver5768

No comments on the coral list yet?

I just have one comment on the bubble coral. Im not aware of the dimensions of your tank but Im sure that you know from your past experience of reefkeeping that they have some decently lone sweepers. Im not familiar with bubble corals in particular but i have read that they are stronger than most euphiliya sweepers (pretty strong sting :)) So i would just watch out for that and place your corals carefully.

Also, if your planning on getting a clam, your might want to add another 13 watt (maybe 2 daylights and one blue). Also, from your past years you probably know about the sensitivity of clams so I would particularly place the clam as far away from the bubble as possible. Nice plan though. Tell us details about your tank as it progresses'

Quote: from Nishant3789 on 9:42 pm on June 6, 2002[br]btw, did your tank come with the 13 watt? if so where did you get it from? thanks

nishant

No, it did not come with the 13watt. Actually, I found the tank on eBay, for $12.95..it looks very nice. I think they are on there a lot. The 13watt bulb I have now is in a a great looking brushed metal desk lamp fixture that I found at the home deopt expo, on clearence.

I will definately be adding at least one more light, possible two. I upgraded my 55 watt reef from NO FLO to metal halide and the results were awesome! So I am familar with the benefits of intense lighting. Looking forward to trying some things out.

Actually, I am interested in these 70W metal halides that I have heard about. You know anything about them?

Quote: from quiksilver5768 on 11:38 pm on June 6, 2002[br]No comments on the coral list yet?

I just have one comment on the bubble coral. Im not aware of the dimensions of your tank but Im sure that you know from your past experience of reefkeeping that they have some decently lone sweepers. Im not familiar with bubble corals in particular but i have read that they are stronger than most euphiliya sweepers (pretty strong sting :)) So i would just watch out for that and place your corals carefully.

Also, if your planning on getting a clam, your might want to add another 13 watt (maybe 2 daylights and one blue). Also, from your past years you probably know about the sensitivity of clams so I would particularly place the clam as far away from the bubble as possible. Nice plan though. Tell us details about your tank as it progresses'

I agree 100% about the light. As I said to Nishant3789, I have used metal halide over a 55 gallon and saw amazing results. So I will be trying some things as I go along.

I hear you about the aggressiveness of some corals. Never had issues in the 55 or 200...but this is a very different ball game for sure! Thanks for the reminder and I will let you know what happens.

I will fire up the dig cam soon and post some pics.

Nishant3789

hey i c that u live in atl as well what part? I live in alphretta, are you part of the atlanta reef club? as for the 70 watt mh i think itll just be over kill but, if really wana i think u may be able to hook it up if u put ure tank next to ure 55 or 200 so that most of the MH goes to the bigger tank and a small portion thall still be alot goes on the 5 gallon hex, this may be tricky but if its possible u amy wanna try it, of course i have never tried MH myself but have heard great things about it. well gtg

nishant

Archived