Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What should I do with my old 5hex?

FamousGuy

my mom wants it, how should i set it up for her?  I'm thinking either giving her hardy frags from my soon to be 20tall and hoping for the best, or just making it fresh...but i doubt she'd like fresh unless i stuck something more interesting than usual in it....she hated my junior high cichlid tank.  Anyways, do you think if i stuck shrooms and polyps in it with 13 watts of light and just give her a crash course in marine tanks it will survive?  I live a couple hours away so i cant really watch over it myself

How about lightly brackish FW tank with bumblebee gobies, metallicus or Endler's livebearers, and Amano shrimp for algae control.  I had this setup in a 5 and it worked really well.  It would be easier for her to maintain than a full-salt tank, and would look really nice.

FWIW, I had my mom take care of my 40 reef for two months one summer, and she did a good job of it.  However, she really enjoyed watching the animals eat, so I think they would have all died of heart attacks if I hadn't come back for the tank!  In a five, it would be too easy for an inexperienced reefer to OD on food, etc.

I would go with reef idea if the lighting is good enough, a few mushrooms and polys should do fine.  Add a few nice critter- scarlet legged hermits, blue legged hermit, large featherduster worms, snails, and with the live rock it would be a nice setup.

Far more numerous life than any freshwater or brakish tank.

Just remember that with a reef tank, someone's going to have to change the water weekly.  Maybe bi-weekly if it's invert-only.  So it depends on how willing your mother is to do that required work.  

Archived