Pod Your Reef

70W MH in stock Nano Cube!!

artarmon42

Interesting facts.

I just got off the phone with GE Plastics and they state that their LEXAN product can filter UV light (UV A&B) since they use it for skylights. And they can withstand up to 200 degrees to 250 degrees before melting.

So the question is can a piece of LEXAN be used in the 70Watt MH mod. Or should I just goto a glass shop and request a sheet of glass that can filter/block UV light?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey artarmon, would you be able to provide a wiring diagram or an explanation of how you wired the fans to the variable voltage adapters? I don't have a lot of experience with wiring so the more details the better. Thanks.

Sure!

The fan will get a BLACK and a RED wire. The YELLOW is neutral: it is not used. I just cut (but not strip it) and then using electrical tape just stick it to the hood just to hold it in place.

The variable voltage adapter will have a BLACK and a BLACK-WITH-WHITE-STRIPE wire.

For each fan, connect the BLACK wire(s) to the BLACK wire from the variable voltage adapter. Use a wire nut to join them. Similarly connect tht RED wire(s) to the BLACK-WITH-WHITE-STRIPE wire from the adapter.

If you plug the variable voltage adapter in, the fans should come on. I recommend setting the voltage to 7.5V. You can play with it up (to increase airflow and noise) or down (to decrease airflow and noise).

Make sure the fans are blowing in the right direction (for the rear fans, they should be blowing hot air OUT of the hood). The variable voltage adapter can be set to reverse polarity (to reverse the direction of the fan), but it is NOT recommended. Fans are designed the blow one way (it should be in the direction of the label on the fan), and while spinning it the other way will get airflow in reverse it is not the optimum setting (because the fan blades aren't angled correctly) for best CFM.

Hope that is what you wanted to know. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Cool, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I was wondering about the yellow wire and what to do with it.

I have another question (sorry I'm so full of questions, but you've been an abundance of information thusfar): Is there enough room next to the MH to stick a 13 watt PC actinic bulb? From your pictures it looks to be so. Now I will have a 20k bulb so I'm not getting the actinic for that aspect. I'm getting it so I can create a dawn/dusk effect (before my moonlights go on in the morning/evening). If there is enough room, do you foresee any other problems that I might be missing with this addition? Do you see heat as being a problem? I figured that if the 5 fans could cool a 70 watt MH bulb then adding a 13 watt actinic bulb with ballast should be no sweat. Let me know if this sounds doable. Thanks again artarmon.

Remember that the stock reflector is removed, so you'll need to get a reflector for the 13W PC (if it doesn't already come with one). Depending on the reflector, I'd be wary of fit and blockage of air flow. I'm pretty certain that it can be done, but I don't have any experience with a 13W so you'll have to experiment yourself :)

Cooling shouldn't be a problem. But be aware that ballasts generate (relatively) alot of heat, so the fan voltages will need to be tuned higher.

Do I necessarily need a reflector for the 13 watt PC? It's basically the same as your 7 watt PC fuge and I see that you don't have a reflector for that.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't read that the 13W was just for effects.

I thought you were using it for actinic (my bad, didn't read properly).

If it's just for effects, you should easily be able to get away without a reflector.

Well, I went ahead this afternoon and paid my Paypal order to Aquabuys for the MH retro kit (minus the bulb).

I wired up all my fans which are now patiently awaiting placement into my nano hood.

I also ordered a 13 watt PC kit with a 13 watt actinic bulb from Hellolights.com.

I'm hoping everything will be delivered by sometime next week so I can have the whole tank retrofited by the end of next week at the latest. I'm really excited about this mod. I can't wait to fire it up. B)

You Dremel'd the rear vents and got the scroll fan in too? If not, now will be a good time to do it. While you wait for the MH to arrive, you can give the rear scroll fan's epoxy time to cure.

Post some pics, so others can see your handy work :)

I don't have the epoxy yet. I live like 10 minutes away from Home Depot but I don't feel like going down there tonight if all I'm going to do is place the fan in the back of the hood. I like to get things done all at once if possible. My philosophy is the less times you mess with something, the less likely you'll mess something up. I'll take pictures of everything while I'm doing it though. ;)

Originally posted by Esper

lexan is also used for windows in racecars. i think it would be okay, especially if GE told you so! (but don't take MY word for it...)

Thanks Esper.

btw, as a follow up. I picked up a sheet of Lexan from Home Depot.

It's Lexan XL10 Sheet made by GE Plastics. There are some info I found interesting.

Lexan XL10 sheet is the least combustible safety glazing plastic sheet, but will ignite when exposed to an ignition source in excess of 800 degrees F(426 C).:o

Use a soft cloth or sponge and gently wash to loosen remaining dirt and grime. DO NOT SCRUB or use brushes or squeegees: the coating on Lexan XL10 sheet is UV resistant.

Interesting indeed.

Originally posted by artarmon42

Where are you going to put that Lexan sterling18?

Instead of the small glass UV filter, I'm going to put it on the inside of the hood above the splash guard. Try to cover all of it to prevent leakage. Since I will have to modify the reflector to fit in the hood and will have issues mounting the glass after modding the reflector.

Want a reflector for your fuge light? Take an empty soda/beer can, cut the top/bottom off and take a slice out of it. Attach with double sided tape. My 13w fuge light has no reflector except for the rear is covered in aluminum ducting tape. Even without that it'd still be fine. 30 days and my cheato went from golfball to bigger then a softball.

Originally posted by sterling18

Instead of the small glass UV filter, I'm going to put it on the inside of the hood above the splash guard.  Try to cover all of it to prevent leakage.  Since I will have to modify the reflector to fit in the hood and will have issues mounting the glass after modding the reflector.

Oh, that's because you bought LampDr's reflector?

From the looks of it, there could be light escaping from the side of the reflector, which may directly come out through the Nano Cube's side vents.

UV light will bounce, so be safe!

anyone know anything about the helolights 150 MH clamp on? it looks pretty sleek, wonder if that could be gutted and used in the stock NC hood?

Originally posted by artarmon42

Oh, that's because you bought LampDr's reflector?

From the looks of it, there could be light escaping from the side of the reflector, which may directly come out through the Nano Cube's side vents.

UV light will bounce, so be safe!

Here's an update. I got a hold of the guy from Aquabuys and I was able to buy the reflector, glass and clips from him so all is well.

He's a good guy and I will do business with him again. Very helpful.

Originally posted by lou52onu

anyone know anything about the helolights 150 MH clamp on?  it looks pretty sleek, wonder if that could be gutted and used in the stock NC hood?

I'm not sure $240 for the clamp-on, only to gut it, is a cost effective way to go :)

Dunno if it would fit anyway, but I suspect it won't...

Look for the thread in the lighting section about it. It normaly wouldn't fit, but find my "sweet" paint drawing and read how the guy flipped the top around to make it fit his smaller tank. You'd have to lose the hood of course...as for UV, try not to fry your retinas!

Edit: here's a pic over a NC

10777tank4-med.JPG

sterling18

Quick question, i'm looking to start keeping some xenia under the 70MH, should i have a shaded spot for it, on the sides where it's not direct or somewhere under the light is ok?

tks

artarmon42

I'd definately put it in the shade, without direct light. Make sure you acclimatize it to the lighting.

Archived