Coral Vue Hydros

24g Lighting Upgrades

nanocustoms.com

nanocustoms.com

Hi everyone,

Thank you guys for your tremendous support over the past 2 months.. As you may or may not know, nanocustoms develops aftermarket products for the JBJ Nanocube family of products and seeks to ensure the highest levels of quality and performance.

This is a long thread, so please bear with me, as there has been many reasons/decisions I have made with respect to my support for the 24g version of the Cube.

I have a committment to calling things as I see them with respect to my ethics as an engineer and dedication to the hobby, so I have to give my honest opinion about the products being released by JBJ..

In as many ways as I consider the JBJ 12g DX one of the most viable aquarium platforms in the market bar none with up to 126w PC (and 70w MH + T-5 + Fuge Light in personal cube), I have a contradicting opinion with respect to the JBJ 24g DX and its build/design flaws.

The 24g is built exactly like the 12g OG/DF, meaning exposed fans, salt/moisture ridden splashguard, and extreme evaporation.

kappas thread on long term success of modded OG/DF models:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=41197

It seems that everything that was learned in the DX (2004 and even moreso 2005) was forgotten for the 24g..

For this reason, I am only offering an limited upgrade for the current 24g. This upgrade will be a 3.36(3x26w) series mod with a total system output of up to 128w (2 additional T-5s). This upgrade was intended for those who cant wait for more light, or have chosen to accept the risks.. If the Installation option is selected, I cannot provide the 6mo limited warranty like my other cubes/systems..

IMHO, I would save myself the trouble and do a full hood when the 05 comes out.. This will save you much trouble down the line, but that all depends on the hinge configuration (its very possible the 05 wont have the same hinges)..

When the '05 version of the 24g comes out, assuming the splashguard is like the '05 DX, will creep upwards of 150-200w.

Its easy to blame JBJ for these "revisions", but the reality is that they are a distributor for BOYU (the actual manufacturer) and have no real control of the design/manufacturing process. This isnt to downplay their efforts (don't get me wrong, JBJ and Nanocustoms have a great relationship) but to emphasize their lack of direct control of the manufacturing process.

If you must call to complain, please understand that they are just a bunch of guys who are building/equipping these cubes as they recieve them from BOYU and have no real control over production from the aquarium standpoint (They are JBJ LIGHTING..).

I have a firm committment from the top feeders at JBJ that there WILL be a revision, but no firm date set for the reasons stated above...

When those revisions become available, I will let the board know (you know I always do...)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so for the new 24g are you offering lighting upgrades for it? I read your thread about nope been too keen on doing many mod's to the old 24g but how about this new 24g? I like you're work!

Bah...throw a couple of cheap moonlights in it, and all of the sudden you have a new product :P I wish things would get done right the first time.

~Brian

If I am in the market for a 24G Dlx, are you reccomending that I wait or go with one of your 12G DLx setups? I am getting very anxious to get something and get it started.

yes, unfortunately at this time, with the design limitations of the current 24g, I dont expect very much long term reliabilty from heavy modifications. Although i think the additional lighting upgrade I will offer for the current generation upgrade is safe, I dont see it performing as well as a second generation 24g.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask if you know when the 24G DLX 2005 will be coming out? If I am looking to start something in the next month or two and new to the hooby, should I just go with one foyour custom 12G Dlx tanks? When I look on your website it looks like you have more orders that on-hand qunaities right now too. Do you know what the time frame is get something from you?

Thanks

HI Dwight

I expect the 2005 24g in the next few months, (at least thats what ive been told to expect by JBJ).

I was hoping for some this month, but with the release of the NVM (built in moonlight, current canopy) models, I think they hedged slightly to go through their current supply of the (2004s).

Generally a custom takes about 7 business days to turn around depending on my suppliers.

If you are on the site and the custom systems state 0 or negative, go ahead and neglect it since all custom systems are built to order..

IMHO, if i was buying a custom, I would lean towards a 12g vs 24g. If there wasnt the design concerns of the 24g (salt creep, evaporation, etc) I would choose the 24g since I prefer more room.

If you are jonesin tho, i recommend a modded DX to get your feet wet first, and perhaps move on. The DX is a great starter tank and now with the expandability of the DX, a viable expert tank.

Thanks for your patience.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your very thorough reply.

My last questions are:

1. Which modis best for a general reefer like myself? I don't know if I want hard or soft corals yet, since I am very new.

2. Is hte overflow mod a good option? I have seen mnay posts that talk about people having scum problems.

3. Are the mmonlights on thier own plug so I can use timers?

Thanks,

Upon your reply, I plan to place an order :)

Chris,

Thanks for your very thorough reply.

My last questions are:

1. Which modis best for a general reefer like myself? I don't know if I want hard or soft corals yet, since I am very new.

>> I will never tell you what is "best" for you, because that wouldnt be ethical. I think you should really look around this site and see what other setups you like. There is about 10-15 users with setups from nanocustoms and they range from teh simplest mods to the most complex.

here are a few:

126w- rbaby

116w- jeff spahn, falconmsn19819

115w- mikeguerrero

92 w - Larnie, sinistard

82 w - tmoney, alemap65

72 w - paradise, lots of others

68 w - Mikeguerrrero in his early days.

the spectrum is of personal preference/function, but their coral selection may help guide you in your choices for livestock.

2. Is hte overflow mod a good option? I have seen mnay posts that talk about people having scum problems.

>> Its definately useful, but will only bring the scum out of the display and into the rear area. Its not "gone" but out of sight, in addition, the overflow helps create better oxygenation (increase in surface area and turbidity).

3. Are the mmonlights on thier own plug so I can use timers?

>> Yes, the R2 even has a simple in line on /off switch.

Thanks,

>> No problem.

Upon your reply, I plan to place an order

>> dont sweat it, even if you dont buy im here to help when i can (when beign the opportune word).

Chris -- I am very interested in the 24g DX but Larnie suggested I read this thread, and I'm glad he did! Do you have word yet on when the 2005 24g DX's are coming out. If I can't wait--what is the viability of buying a 24g DX NVM and changing the hood when the new one comes out--will that give me the new advantages of the 2005? Or is it possible to grow soft corals with the 24g DX NVM? I really like the way Larnie is able to "cycle" the light throughout the day in his tank. Help! I want to start now, but I also want to get it right. Thanks!

nanocustoms.com

Hi DZ-

We (JBJ and I) anticipate it Shortly but cannot quantify a time period as the nanocubes are manufactured by another company.

My biggest fear in giving people the go ahead to buy a 24g first and wait for the hood revision is the fear that the hinges may be diffrent and incompatible.

I think you would be ok with soft corals, but anything else would be marginal.

The 2005 Versions will be operationally similar to the 2005 12g DX meaning the lights can be phased on and off on timers, etc.

If it were my tank, id look at holding off until the 2005 comes out or getting an 05 12g DX.

Hope this helps

Chris

It does help, but it doesn't make me happy, Chris! I guess I'll wait for the 2005. Is there a list or a deposit that I can give you to have you get started for me as soon as they come in? I really want to be able to phase the lights on and off, so I guess I'll have to be patient. Gulp.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys quick question?

Can I upgrade my nanocube 24DX bulbs and still using the stock ballast? The stock ones are 2(36 watts). If is possible what you guys can recommend me.

Thanks!

nanocustoms.com

24g (2005) AT PORT FOR OVER A MONTH!!!!

I am at wits end right now. JBJ knows they are in port, but have no idea when they will be released. I bug them every single day about this and appreciate the patience of those of you who have been waiting a long time. For those who have paid in full, ie dja1980 and a few others, you will recieve maxed out cubes for the price of the system you originally purchased.

Once again, im sorry for the delay guys, but i have no control over the customs release process, so I appreciate the continued patience.

Just FYI, when the 24g's are in my hands, I am suspending all other custom work and operations to focus on the 24g waiting list and expedite the release of the cubes to those who have preordered.

Thanks

Chris

You rock Chris!!! I was starting to wonder if I made a mistake by waiting for the 2005 model, but you just totally made it worth my while. The only problem is that I'm more excited now than ever. Keep us posted. ;)

Oh, and by the way, when the 24g's are done and ready to ship, I want to use the money you just saved me to purchase the Reefkeeper and a Nano Cube stand if they will be available to ship with my order.

crazyfingersmike

Are you getting enough stock to take care of pre-orders plus new orders? Or do your pre-orders pretty much eat up all the stock you're waiting for?

Chris, I'm thinking of doing your 92w mod + fuge light, don't know if I can wait for you to finish MH. Besides your tests showed more light from PCs. Where does the fuge ballast mount? For the extra 24w ballast, do you just put it in the stock ballast box and drill 2 new holes for the 2 leads? Could I do a 4x24 mod? I tried to find all this out on the instructions, but the pdf link doesn't work. Thanks.

Archived