Coral Vue Hydros

My 1g Pico plans

Bobalouy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it ran all day today and with no heater it got up to 87 with the lights on, yikes! And 81 at night with just the pump So I guess I dont need a heater. When I tested it without a hood and no glass to keep the evaporation in, it was at 76 but evaporated like crazy, now I have low evap. and a hot tank. Time to find a fan.

• 2 weeks later...
mushroom head

Its so u can see the sand and there will be lots of room on the bottom that can not be seen so he made that false bottom.The false bottom is just so that u can see stuff better.

Not much new, got some more LR, but Im still trying to sort out the heat issues. I got a small fan so It is doing pretty good. I'll take some new pics today! I have 1 zoo's in there right now, lol.

As for the false bottom, I wanted the base the match the hood so It didnt looke like a little tank with a huge hood, rather than just having a base with nothing in it, I figured more water can never hurt. so basically I have a 1/2 gallon display with a 1/2g sump.

Well just Liverock and sand righ now, but Im thinking about adding a sponge form my nanocube to catch any crap floating around.

• 2 weeks later...
mattw2190

I'm thinking about doing a tank very similar to yours, but I was thinking about putting a large sump underneath the tank to take care of heat issues. I think if I have enough flow in the sump, all the water in the system should stay clean and aerated. The way I see it is, I would have the bioload of a one gallon with the bacteria colonies for a 20 gallon? It gets hot around here so I was thinking about floating ice in the summer. Does anyone here do a sump connection with your pico? I thought with the sump I could do the DSB with a lot of LR to keep water quality high and for lighting I was leaning towards Halides raised far above the tank?<(not a good idea?) Maybe I'll stick with the PCs or something. Anyhow, your tank looks great.

mushroom head - Sorry I havnt taken pics yet, Ive been slacking, lol. I would love to put a sexy shrimp in there, but I've had enough trouble keeping shrimp alive in my 12g. Also If its going to be at my office I will have to make it through the weekend. So I think its going to be just zoos right now. But we'll see, taking it slow with this one.

mattw2190 - I think a sump is always the way to go if you have the space, not sure its really a ture "Pico" though. I wanted something completely self contained. I dont think you would have any heat issuse with a 20g sump. Take a looks at username "Fish" his has a sump, and MH.

ninjafish

Anthony,

Awesome work! I love how clean and proportioned everything is. As for the heat, would you be able to open up the back a bit? Or drill some holes in the top for the warm air to rise out of? I know it is a delicate balance becaue you don't want to spoil the clean lines...

I like it, keep us posted.

- Chad

Thanks guys! Here is a pic of the back, I drilled all the holes befor adding the fan, I wish I would have just done the fan first.

11195pico_fan.jpg

11195pico_front.jpg

lol, Im really taking my time I guess, First I am going to throw my Emeral crab in there. So she can have a feast. And I have a bunch of zoo frags getting ready to go in. Also I finaly got an office at work instead of a cubicle, lol. So the tank might be moving soon

I also need to order a 50/50 buld the 6500k looks pretty nasty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am planning on building almost the same tank this summer. i am very interested on seeing how the tank does once there is livestock. keep us posted please

Well my 50/50 finally came, please excuse the algae right now, I let it go for a while when I was waiting for the light to come. I also threw some cheato in there for now.

5050.jpg

This light looks sooo much better than the old 6500k, Im doing a water change tomarrow, and then I'll start adding some more coral!!

Archived