Top Shelf Aquatics

My 1g Pico plans

Bobalouy

Well I’m bored at work so I made these nice little diagrams. The idea for the tank is to have a scaled down version of a large tank to set on my desk, with everything self-contained and clean looking. The tank without the hood will be 8x6x6 and hold about 1 gallon. The setup will be similar to a nanocube with a false back wall to act as a sump to hold a PH and Heater(if needed), but the bottom will also have an extra 2" underneath to hold water. The display area will only be about .5g. All the sump area will be cover with wood to match the canopy.

I ordered the glass last night.

- I'll be using a Micojet powerhead

- maybe the Hagen Mini Compact 25W submersible heater.

-I’m still undecided on lighting LED vs. a 50/50 PC.

pico2.gif

pico1.gif

So hopefully that all made sense, the glass should be ready this weekend so I can get started.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ProFlatlander15

thats gonna be a sweet looking tank bobalouy. keep us updated, are you going bare bottom and having the rock sit on eggcrate to get the sump underneathe? or is it completely blocked off?

Thanks, I'll definatly take pics along the way.

It will have a sand bottom, there will be a 2 peices of glass one to form the false bottom and one for the wall with an overflow, so its like a tank within a tank. The only reason I made the bottom part of the sump was because I wanted it to have a stand and matching canopy. I figured could use the space for extra water rather than nothing. Kind of hard to describe.

I made one just like, almost those exact same dimensions, a couple weeks ago. I've got it running and cycled, although I haven't made the hood yet because I (like you) haven't decided upon the lighting I want to use. As of now I have an old 14w flourescent over it for light. The PH I'm using is a maxijet 600; however I've had to reduce the intake. The one thing that I have found is that I don't need a heater, cause the PH keeps the temp at exactly 79 degrees. Right now I've got a couple small zoos in there, as well as some cheato I'm saving for my fuge. If you're interested, I could post a pic.

Cool I was hoping the PH and lights would take care of the heat. Not sure if the micojet will make as much as the maxi though.

And of course post a pic, or maybe start a new thread since there isnt that much action in the pico forum yet.

Ha, I didn't even know there was a picto forum until now!:D

I'll start a new thread and post a picture there, if anything just to develop the picto forum.

ProFlatlander15

just a suggestion bob, should you silicone your false bottom in first, and leave one side out so the bottom is easy to silicone in? i would imagine it would be pretty hard getting a false bottom siliconed in there w/ all the sides up. otherwise, looks great.

neanderthalman

I've never constructed my own fishtank, but I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to put some sort of support underneath the false bottom, near the back. I know silicone is strong stuff, but I'd hate to see your display fall into your sump when a small peice of plastic or glass could be wedged underneath to support it.

Yeah I have two small peices of glass on either side for supports. You can kind of see them in the pics.

I siliconed it this weekend but had one small leak. So I fixed that today.

Well here it is so far. Need to glue in the false bottom and back wall and cut overflow notches tomarrow night, so they look alittle crooked in the pics.

11195pico3.jpg

11195pico4.jpg

Lookin good. Can't wait to see finished product. Hope you dont have one of those dorky looking hoods that are taller than the tank though.

Wont there be water flow issues under the false bottom?

Thanks guys,

Yeah I hate rediculously big hoods, so Im going to try to keep it the same size as the base, 2" thick. Hopefully the pump will create enough movement under there.

As for coral, Im going to start with xenia, and gsp frags from my other tank, cause they are growing like crazy.

More Updates, I got my micojet today and im test running the tank, all is looking good sofar, and the temp is steady at 76 with just the pump.

11195water.jpg

11195water_back.jpg

11195water_top.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tank is just about done, just need to get my heater, and some my LR rubble (I took some out of my nano cube for now).

11195final2.jpg

11195final3.jpg

11195final1.jpg

Archived