ReefCleaners.org

PH Question

Chunnie

I am starting my nano reef finally.  I set up the tank, mixed the salt h2o (with ro/di water), put it in the tank.  I let it circurlate for about a week with the heater and powerheads on.  Yesterday I added 17 lbs off live rock and 10lbs of live sand.  Here is my mistake.  I forgot to check the PH when I was making the water.  when I made my first test today I got a PH level of 7.8.  Because I didnt test first I dont know what I started at.  I was curious if this was possibly a regular effect of putting in clean cured live rock (I dont think so myself).  I have never had PH problems with my water in the past in my other tank (30gal fish only).  Im dont know what to do if anything,  water change? , add Buffer?

If you know please chime in.

Thanks

Brad

I had a solid pH of 8.2 in my nano with nothing in it, but after adding the LR and LS, the pH dropped to 7.8. I asked about it on here, and was given several good explanations about it. I'll see if I can dig up the topic for you.

Things I would do.

Check your alkalinity. If it's low, raise it with a buffer.

Make sure you have enough circulation, esp surface agitation. The surface should be moving enough that particles/films don't collect on it.

Make sure the room gets enough air ventilation. If the tank is in a tightly sealed room esp one you sleep in or spend a lot of time in, the excess CO2 that builds up could suppress the pH.

And lastly (maybe it should be first), make sure your test kit is acccurate and that this so called problem is actually a problem.

-Chris

Archived