Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CBS plus Dead Fish = bad news.... what can I do???

jdav

One of my jawfish bit the dust yeaterday, for what reason I'm not sure. Anyway, my CBS has him in one of his claws and is holding on for dear life. he's probably been munching on him now for 8 hours, and he's not making good headway with him.

The problem is everytime I try to get the fish from him he runs into a hole and I can't get him without tearing apart my hole reef.

Do I need to tear down the reef and get him out or just let nature take it's corse?

I'm going to put carbon in the filter right now whatever I do, but I need to know if this is going to crash my tank or what...... the tank is a 20 high.

thanks in advance for any help!

jenniebutterfly

just leave it until he drops it then take it out. it should be fine as long as something is eating it. he will let go eventually

Originally posted by nalbar

CBS are not reef safe.

he might have killed that fish. if he did not, he eventually will.

I'm picturing a Star Trekkian space-time continuum loop where the each time the fish dies a different way until eventually the CBS kills it :nerd:

Seriously, though, nalbar - how many times can that fish die? ;)

jenniebutterfly

lol @ davina's comment. my cbs has been nothing but a stand up citizen in my tank. he sticks his claws out of the cave, but he never leaves his spot unless it is feeding time. i think they get a bad name because a lot of people that have them don't feed them. i have had mone for over a year now, and he has never touched a fish, coral, or other invert in my tank.

I got the fish out late last night.... when i fed the tank he came out to eat trying to be greedyand i was able to grab the fish (be that bad or good i don't care).

Either way I just thought I'd let everyone know that getting bitten by a Maroon clown fish hurts a whole hell of a lot worse that getting poked and pinched by a CBS.

thanks for al the responses.

Originally posted by davinaster

Damn, those clowns are nasty little SOBs aren't they?  Cute little "Nemos", my a**.

Yeah, it may be hard to believe but I got that fish from the store because A guy who had had it for 3 years had to bring it back because it kept biting him and it finally drew blood. He is super mean though, any time I add anything new that is somewhat big (3" squared i guess) he bites it and flips it over... he did it to a dying acan the guy from the fish store gave me for about 3 days before he gave up on killing it, he prunes the caluerpa in my tank himself, he's flipped a bubble, he tried to eat a green banded goby, and I've seen him try to kill hermits that get to close. He does the same thing if I move anything, he attacks the siphon when i do waterchanges he knocked my ph into the sustrate.

It is a super mean clownfish, HE TOTALLY ROCKS!! It would most definitely kill that CBS if the shrimp tried to do anything to him.

Archived