newbiecarlz

where to put second powerhead?

newbiecarlz

Ive just bought a new powerhead on ebay (500L/hour) for some extra circulation in my cube. i want to run it in addition to the stock powerhead (not just replace it).

i want to put it in the back compartment but was wondering what is the best thing to do with it? should i attach some pipe and run it over the top of the back divider so that it dumps into the main display? im thinking i would put this on the LHS (the opposite side to the stock powerhead. what about a spray bar? i havent got the overflow mod on my cube so something that breaks up the surface a bit could be helpful.

any suggestions?

Garf

I have mine in the first compartment, pointing out the far side of the intake. It is kind of wedged in there atm, but I will be cutting a slot out for the nozzle to stick through soon. Thining of using a cassete tape cover as a cheap skimmer, and want to pass a small lenght of tubing from PH through intake and through the cassette skimmer.

afiser

me to

newbiecarlz

how do you use a cassette tape cover as a skimmer??

using the intake seems to be popular, how much does it affect the flow through the back section?

skipm

It doesn't negatively affect the flow at all. The cassette skimmer is simply taking the back of a cassette case and placing it over the intake grill, water pressure will hold it in place and water will have to go over the top of the case to go through the grill therefore it skims the scum off of the surface. Cheap, simple, and it is not a permanent mod. You may need/want to break the tabs off of the case so you can adjust your case higher depending on the water level in your cube. HTH, Skip

marc

I put a second powerhead in the middle compartment, drilled a hole through the black plastic partition and put the nozzle of the powerhead through the hole. I like it alot, it keeps the powerhead out of sight, doesn't waste power by runing a pipe up and over the partition, and was easy to do. HTH

putz28

I put mine in the first compartment, there is already a small hole in there stock, I simply drilled it out. works perfectly.

the powerhead in below water even with the overflow mod.

newbiecarlz

Thanks for the input, ive ended up putting it at the top of the first compartment pointing out of the intake grid. that seemed to be the easiest option, and is working well so far. it creates a fair bit of turbulence at the water surface which i think will be good, and the current in the tank is dramatically improved (my perc is a bit confused, 6 line is loving it though!)