Pod Your Reef

How small is pico?

janasleah

Funky_Fish14

In the other thread(lol, theres only two so far, but the first one), people said: "anything you cant fit your head into", and also said 2.5, which both sound right to me.

Chris

So does that mean my 2.75g doesn't count? :) (Had glass, had room to move back a bit, and up a bit... And there's nothing like a DIY tank)

Andy

off to nano-world you go. :P

eh, you fall under the 'pino' section. that vast nebulous expanse between 2.51-gallons and 3.00-gallons.

let's try to not start talking metric btw. X)

Originally posted by Funky_Fish14

In the other thread(lol, theres only two so far, but the first one), people said: "anything you cant fit your head into"

My 5g that I'm having made is only 7" deep by 12" tall by 12" wide, not deep enough to fit my head in, does that count:D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on a new pico reef as a glass cylinder oriented horizontally. It's a 32" long borosilicate (pyrex) cylinder 7" wide with a medium/heavy wall of about 7mm. I'm going to get a 1" hole laser drilled near one end for fills and feedings. Total volume should be below 4 gallons after putting a large 6.5" rubber stopper in each side. I have ordered two mini heater/pumps, one for each side and a wave maker as well as lighting. After adding about 1.3 gallons of live sand to a depth of about 2.5" in the center and a bunch of nano-coral-pacs, there will probably be only about 2 gallons of water. Oh yeah, I figured out how to get the wave system working by submerging an up tube below the sand capped by a 4" tall dam to contain the sand to near the ends, and the pumps will force watter to the otherside via this up(horizontal) tube, thus finally returning to the pump over the top of the substrate and corals.

For the stand I am building two sets of dual-connected-by-rope-dowels that the cylinder will lye on with the feed/fill side just a hair higher than the opposite side. I have purchased a 65w single 50/50&10kK Satalite 30" long with lunars and will put on a coralite timer. First fill of water will come from my 55gal and further replacement for trace minerals may come from Catalina Salt Water or from my 55 still, just havn't decided yet. As for fish, I will wait, but I do plan to put in at least one nasarius, one astrea, one bubmle bee snail, and possibly one pepermint shrimp. I have a small open brain with two tiny banded brittle stars that I think would be perfect for growing up in this small environment. Maybe later I will add some very small gobies. I will add pics later if anyone is interested in this new project.

neanderthalman

wow...that was a lot....a picture of your intended tank would be most appreciated - I LOVE seeing creative nanos. The best thing to do would be to start a new thread that documents the development of your tank from start to finish. Don't be too long with the pics ;)

Archived