Cultivated Reef

southdown sand

mxpro32

is there anywhere else you can buy southdown other than home depot?  my home depot doesnt carry it.  i have aragonite crushed coral in my five gallon but i like the look of the finer stuff so thats what i wanted to put in my girlfriends tank.  can you order it?

Southdown is impossible to get in some places. You could see about trying to get your HD to order some. Just tell them it's for landscaping or something. They're not allowed to sell it for aquarium use. If you can't find southdown, you can get Carib-Sea or ESV sand from an LFS. They both make a sugar-sized sand. http://www.purearagonite.com/ sells sand that is mined from the same place as southdown. It's probably the best sand you can buy, but the shipping may be expensive.

-Chris

I bought mine through Reefer6 on Reef Central. Southdown isn't available in Calif., it's an east cost thing. BUT Reefer is a HD manager and can get it shipped here. I think he's planning a run to No Ca in the near future to take a bunch of sand to people up there. he's also setting up an awsome huge (360 gallons?) tank right now. I will PM you his email addy.

Archived