Cultivated Reef

Another LR/cycling ?

tonkadawg

Well I have had the 20 set up for about a week now, and the smell is finally starting to go away. The water is starting to clear up and it looks like I might be making some progress.

Once I got the live rock home last week, I realized that I didn't buy enough - I got 18 lbs, but from an asethic standpoint, it really doesn't fill the tank enough for me. I was thinking on buying some more rock and sticking in there. My concern is that this rock will be uncured as was/is the stuff I have now and I really don't want to be taking steps backwards (smell, die off etc).

So, I guess in summary, my question is:

Is it safe to add liverock(uncured) at any time, or should it only be done at setup/cycling time? Keep in mind, all I have is a PH, LR, LS and a heater.

harbingerofthefish

Since it's only been up for a week now, you won't be going back too far. I say just add some more. If possible, you could get some from another LFS, maybe there's would be cured more and another oppurtunity for more varied life.

Another thing to keep in mind, unless you take the cheap bastard like me, is when you buy corals and such, the majority of the stuff comes on some LR of it's own. So in a since you continually add more LR to your tank and take the chance of die-off.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Add LR till you like the way it looks, It'll be a pain in the a** to change it a year from now.

Archived