SaltCritters.com

Newbie looking for help...

A_Ducati

Hey Guys-

I've searching through the threads and I've already learned alot in the past week. I just have some quick questions regarding the equipment I'm going to need.

I'd like to start a 3 gallon tank using the eclipse system. Other than this can someone tell me what else I am going to need to setup the tank and approximate costs? Do I need a power head in such a small tank?

Also, can someone explain the different types of nano reef tanks I can setup? I see people mention FOWLR? I am going for the easiest to maintain? Any suggestions would be great. I have had FW fish for sometime and do not know much about SWF. I am planning on buying "The Dummies Guide to Salt...." has anyone read it? Can you suggest any better ones?

Thanks for your help!!!

Anthony

I had a 3 gallon eclipse for quite awhile. My advice:

Get an powercompact light from hellolights.com or somewhere.

get rid of the hood and filter - (if you make a clear lid)

put in a minijet 404, or look at Dave ESPI's post on small powerheads

make a clear lid to prevent evaporation.

all you need for heat is a small 25 watt heater.

The crappy part is, with all those changes above, theres no point in spending the $ on the eclipse tank.

UNLESS - you find out a way to fit a decent light into that hood.

In this case I would say a reef tank with photosynthetic corals would be the easiest.

If you dont want to upgrade the light, you might be able to keep a very very very small fish. <-- but this is a bad idea in my opinion.

Shrimp are always an option.

Korbin-

Thanks for the advice...I was under the impression that nothing else was needed other than the eclipse system. I'll have to look into tanks a bit more...

I just set up a system 3, its burning through cycle now.

Put a Zoo Med MP10 in for circulation, and cut a piece of glass for top of tank. (Square doesn't fit in round hole....)

Any how, will need to loose the hood and filter to place my jbj 18watt combo hood on top.

You may be able to get a small retro to fit in that hood, but filter is out.

I used the system 3 just because I had it - and it looks ok.

tullock's Natural Reef Aquarium is a very good starter book. he has a number of different setups (size-wise and biotope-wise). he also has a setup guide that lets you 'graduate' thru the various levels (i.e. FO~FOWLR~Reef). it's a good read that's not too 'heavy' in terminology to scare off readers imo.

goldstein's Marine Reef Aquarium is a good basic book too. a little more basic imo but very good nonetheless.

printerdown01

I recommend this book so often that I think people are going to begin to suspect that I get some sort of a cut of sales! The Reef Aquarium by Sprung and Delbeek is awesome! It will take you from a starting point of nothing, to an in-depth and inclusive look at reefing. They start off with the "natural environment" and keep reference to it through out the book (which in my opinion is very important). They back everything up with scientific journals and studies. You will walk away with a SERIOUS understanding of just about everything. And most important they have a great "problems" section. Whether it be algae or parasitic snails/worms. It is probably one of the most expensive aquarium books out there, and for a reason. I only brought 2 books with me to college, this was one. The other came along for the ride, simply because I hadn't finished reading it ;).

THanks for the pics PFB....I'm going to buy a guide book today and hopefully I can get started within two weeks. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted on my progress

Anthony

and you're entitled to that opinion. can anyone tell me what's wrong with using the eclipse filter for circulation at the very least. i have two eclipse nanos both running the integrated filter with only reef carbon in the tray. take the bio-wheel out if you like. even shorten the intake if its too obtrusive. but imo leave the filter. its quiet, provides circulation and a place for chemical filtration. some people i've seen even convert them into refugia, albeit small ones-nice work i say. and the added bonus-you can take that $20 you were gonna spend on the mini micro super-jet PH and get a critter. and you can fit plenty of light (copyright powercompact retrofits) in place of the old light (so don't worry about that). keep it simple. the last thing i'm saying is to hell with your high-tech this and your electronic that. all i'm saying is that you can succeed with this simple system.

Twins Guy,

I agree 100% that you could leave the eclipse filter and it would provide all the advantages that you stated. I originally had it on this tank for about a wk with filter floss to catch all the dust from my sand.

I just removed it because I didn't like the looks of it sitting on top of my tank.

I have a friend who does wood-work so I am going to see if he can fabricate me a hood that would allow me to cover the JBJ and filter, plus maybe allow for another 9 watt.

I am also looking for a way to add an external heater (just submitted a separate post on that) but the eclipse filter wouldn't allow room for a heater.

I guess the manufacturers will eventually catch up to our nano-hobby.

I took the filter out just for the purpose of fitting a lid that I could use with my JBJ light. And for aesthetic reasons. Otherwise, theres no reason you cant use it for circulation (oh yeah, and filtration).

PFB, nice tank! It looks exactly like mine when I started.

Archived