Top Shelf Aquatics

Live Rock Quality

stephen

My LFS has some quite nice looking live rock for $5.99 a lb.  Is this cheapo stuff, or am I getting a good deal?  I really don't want to order such small quantities of live rock off the internet...

I would go to the LHS and buy some nice pieces with the shapes that will go nicely in your tank and would make good aquascaping.

I cant comment on the price as I live in the UK.

Try to get pieces with lots of coraaline algae and types that are quite porous.

HTH.

Joxer the Mighty

That sounds about right for good quality LR at the LFS.  Sahin is right, pick some nice pieces that have good coralline coverage on them.

My Alife 7

$5.99/lb. doesn't sound like cheap live rock... but it's not a good deal either... (actually I can't say that without looking at the rock itself) but $5.99 sounds about right.

Smokey Joe

In my area that would be an excellent deal.  I've paid around $8.99/lb for all of mine.  I'm perfectly happy paying that actually, as the rock is well cured and it really speeds up my set-up (many of the live rock tanks actually have fairly delicate fishes for sale in them).

You should be able to look at the rock and tell if its any good or not.  If there is good coralline growth on it and small pieces of coral then it would be a good buy.  If it looks like crap it probably is crap.  My lfs sells florida aquacultured rock for $7 a pound and its pretty good stuff.  Since you are stocking a smaller tank, go all out on the rock since it wont cost too much relatively speaking.

Archived