Top Shelf Aquatics

cleaning or killing?

SeaFish

i have two cleaner shrimps in my 12gal tank. i have just recently added a frogsapwn coral. for some reason my two cleaner shrimps is always on it poking around. i am not sure if they are cleaning it or killing it. the coral opens up but when teh cleaner shrimps come, it closes up. i need some imput on this..please help.

they're scavenging imo. they're looking for scraps leftover probably. that's irritating the coral probably and may kill it eventually (keeping it from feeding & respirating normally).

try feeding the shrimp more, away from the coral and directly, as to not foul the tank. if they're full they'll probably bother the coral less.

they're not glass/anemone shrimp are they? then they may just be looking for a home but can also have the same effect (coral death).

They are cleaning. My cleaner likes to dance all over my branching hammer with no ill effects. Everything tiny reef said is absolutely correct, so keep an eye on your coral to make sure the shrimp isn't damaging it. Just because they are cleaning doesn't mean that they aren't inadvertantly causing the coral stress. I know in my case my hammer does'nt even react to the cleaners light touch, but if it touches my bubble, it fully retracts. Try directly feeding it, and feed it more often. Good luck;)

thank you all. i have another questoin...are blood worms healthy for marine fish? cuz thats the only thing that seem to really keep shrimps away from the coral.

thank you all for your replies. i decided to not use blood worms just to be safe. also i am still having problems with cleaner shrimp bother the spawn. but yeah. thank you all for the help and advce.

chances are the cleaners are bored or were really active cleaners on a reef somewhere. Perhaps you could get rid on one. Try trading it to another reefer ot the lfs. it will /can kill the coral eventualy becuase of constant pestering.

Archived