inTank Media Baskets

Reference for newbies...

printerdown01

printerdown01

Ok, after reading a post in the general forum I got an idea... Lets create reference for newbies that are looking at starting a tank. A thread that lists our (existing) nanos equipment, inhabitants, and where they came from. This way when someone is looking at setting up a tank we can defer them to this post, for reference. They will then have an abundance of set-up possibilities. This, housing the info that it does, can be used to answer NUMBEROUS questions... It will also allow them to ask direct questions about set-ups.

I'll go first:

_________Main_________

Tank: 12 gallon all glass

Hood: Eclipse 1tl with carbon and bio-wheel filtration

PHs: 1 Rio-90

Heater: 100W Tronic

Live Rock: 15+ lbs

Sand: mixture, LFS live sand, a white aquarium sand, and oolitic aragonite... apporx 1"+

Lighting: 2x32W CSL with SmartLight bulbs (50/50 spectrum)

Salt and water: CoraLife salt and RO/DI water (Sparketts "Crystal Fresh") kept at a SG of 1.025

Additives: DT's phyto, Reef Complete (calcium, magnesium, and strontium), Reef Builder (bi-carbonate)

...everything above came from different LFSs...

Inhabitants...

Soft coral: xenia, Fiji sarcophyton frag, green striped shrooms, hairy shrooms, neon orange and green zooanthids, botton polyps, and gorgonia frag

LPS: fox coral, organ pipe frag, and two fungia

SPS: porites and a moniti cap frag (oh yeah, and one green monti digi that belongs to Neptune LOL)

Fish: one teeny maroon clown (been in there for over a year)

Crustations: porcelain crab, one peppermint shrimp (to keep my aptasia away), and lots of 'pods.

....the monti cap frag, Figi sarcophyton, 2 plate corals, and Neps digi came from CoralDynamics.com, one of my xenia colonies came from a fellow nano-reefer, and everything else came from different LFSs.

_______Refugium_______

Tank: 2.5 gallon all glass

U-tube syphon for return flow

as requested (although i'm in the process of tearing this tank down for a 15H AGA)

Equipment:

5.5 gal AGA tank (built-in overflow)

2x32w (Actinic & 10K) CSL hood

Red Sea Prizm Skimmer

Hagen Mini Filter (Poly-Filter)

Visi-Therm Heater 50w

Seeded LR (lava & tufa from other systems)

CaribSea Pink Fiji Sand (plain dry sand)

Coralife salt with distilled (makeup water is distilled)

Kent Marine auto-doser (expensive IV drip) for makeup water

Additives: B-Ionic, calcium chloride, Tech Iodine

Inhabitants: (currently)

condylactis anemone

blue-legged hermits (3~8 depending on algae level)

astrae snails (3)

devil's hand coral (lobophytum?)

yellow leather coral

colt coral (nepthyea, latin spelling sucks)

yellow polyps (dandelions)

green zoanthids

green star polyps

i think printer wants to show the diversity of tanks and possible setups. the member pages are a very good source (with pictures!). you can buy livestock from LFS, OLS, or grow your own.

what are nebies?

NO, if ya want to know what to use, READ A BOOK FIRST AND SOME THREADS and dont post like a retard.

If ya want to know what I use, DO A S-E-A-R-C-H-

it is a tool that works best when USED.

and Im being nice.

I *like* this idea. ONE thread where everyone lists what they're keeping under what lighting in what size tank....

Point all the real generic lighting questions right at this thread. Tell 'em to look for matches on tank size & a few of the inhabitants. Then they can either ask more specific questions about lighting or ask about other stuff.

Yeah, you could search the members' tanks forum, but there's a lot of "noise" compared to the amount of raw stats. The way I figure it, you could do the search, find some near-matches, then go look for posts by those people in the members' tanks forum to see the pix.

Bloody 'ell, Dave, I researched and read and researched some more and, regarding lighting, was still confused as all git out after six months of same. Reading will often give you theory, but dang -- lots of times the theories contradict, and they don't always give you examples. And most reef tank books don't even mention nanos. And they're often out of date...(Bob Fenner noted that he's got most of a text for "The Conscientious Reef Aquarist" -- but it needs to be completely rewritten because this hobby changes so fast!)

SO...how's that book of yours coming along, anyway? :evilgrin:

GREAT ! Im re-writing the thirteenth chapter... " Being a Dunce... err new poster on messageboards"

Ala: Bob Fenner....:P

Becides thats what sigs aparently are here for.... : have you seen some peoples sig lines? they are out of control ! it makes reading a thread an all day scrolling chore...

its a nice comcept, but I think its a wasted effort unless put in as a moderated non commentary based thread that a SUBMISSION must be made to.... not an open thread where people can chat and foul up a thread with sigs (as I am here) X) .

just a few cents more to chuck into the pot.

printerdown01
its a nice concept, but I think its a wasted effort unless put in as a moderated non commentary based thread that a SUBMISSION must be made to.... not an open thread where people can chat and foul up a thread with sigs (as I am here)  

I was hoping to rely upon the maturity of the users...

j/k dave, i love ya... in a platonic sort of way....

Guys – 1st let me say you “experienced” folks and this forum are great, and many of us appreciate you sharing your good and bad experiences.

This newbie reference thread is a great idea.

Not to be critical, but I have spent a lot of time searching, and have experienced some of the “noise” mentioned earlier and have also read a little bit of contradiction.

I see value in getting lots of different opinions and setups, and a single point of reference may cut down on some of our repetitive questions and “ posting like a retard”.

I have received more information (and humor) here than any book that I have read on reefing.

Keep it up!

Equipment:

20g all glass generic | 24x17x12

Wood canopy

2 x 55w pc lights (1 7100k white [realux]/ 1 actinic blue [german])

CPR Bakpak 2R w/ surface skimmer:bubble catcher combo

Aquaclear 150 w/ carbon

1 Rio 180 powerhead | 1 penguin 301 powerhead

100 watt generic heater

2.5'' CaribSea live sand

35-40 lbs. Fuji live rock

B-Ionic Daily additive|Reef Solution 1/week|PhytoPlankton 2/week

Coralife salt w/ RO water @ 1.025sg

Inhabitants:

1 Blue Green Chromis

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

Various hermit crabs & snails

Green Frogspawn & Green Torch (Euphyllia sp.)

Red Open Brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)

Pulsing xenia

Green Hairy Rhodactis

Orange & Green Zoanthids

Various Mushrooms (Discoma sp.)

branching Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sp.)

Candy Cane (Caulastrea sp.)

Derasa Clam

Finger Leather (Sinularia sp.)

Most of my livestock was purchased from Bonita Tropicals & Aquatic Warehouse:)

maybe chris can make some sort of form to fill out with input text boxes for equipment, inhabitants, and other specs (so that there's some organization in format) and then another box for additional comments and then last a link to more information (for instance, the member's website). it'd be like everyone's tanks "at glance" the viewer could also posibly choose to "sort by" tank size, member (alpha order), date established etc. i have no idea how much work this would involve... just an idea :happy:

brandon

As a newbie, this forum and the articles provided by Christopher Marks have been a tremendous help. Several seasoned nano-reefers have been able to clear up several issues that were still fuzzy for me.

I think the thread concept is a good idea, but just a listing of what others have, to me, wouldn't be much help - I agree that is what sig's are for.

For me, I think the best thing would have been a FAQ stickey - Q&A - in which the A should try to encompass all schools of thought. That is the biggest thing - doing the search and reading threads and books, lots of stuff contradicts the other - sometimes creating real confusion. I know it would take some work to get the experienced guys to agree on one answer, but if the answer could be supported by the pros and cons for that action, it would allow the reader to decide for him/herself which would be the best course of action.

Q "Should I do water changes during a cycle?"

A " Yes you should do a 10% water change once a week because...."

"But beware by doing a weekly water change during a cycle this might happen ....."

A "No, don't do a water change during a cycle because...."

Of course there are still going to be questions about cycling a tank, but I would think that if the poster has seen all possiblities, the post would be more specific and detailed., making this board even more usefull.

Just my $.02

printerdown01

Thanks Chris... I do honestly believe that a simple list of different set-up examples could be very powerful. I actually created one on multiple sheets of binder paper before I created my 12. It took me forever to search and find examples of stuff I wanted to create!

Archived