Coral Vue Hydros

Cerith snail eggs

renichms

I've seen pictures of Cerith eggs on glass. Do they also lay them on rock? I found something looking exactly like Cerith eggs on the bottom side of a piece of live rock they've recently been roaming around. It'd be awesome if they were Cerith eggs and they hatched into lots of little Cerith snails.

RN

reef hugger

Yes they will lay them on the rocks. There aren't too many flat glass panels in the ocean. :) If memory serves me right, it took about 2 weeks for the eggs to hatch into free floating larvae.

greatreef16- congrates on having them survive, mine never did survive for very long.

greatreef16

The key to it all must be: BAD WATER PARAMS!!! Lol, I never do water changes (im too lazy) so I doubt any corals would survive in my tank.

I definitely can't do bad water parameters. How long will the free-floating larvae stage last and will the mortality rate be so enormous I might as well not count on having baby Ceriths around?

RN

Originally posted by greatreef16

The key to it all must be: BAD WATER PARAMS!!! Lol, I never do water changes (im too lazy) so I doubt any corals would survive in my tank.

Exactly what I did with a spare 10 that I have. The front and back walls were bad green algae and now is hard to keep on there unless I feed it constantly with the light. I do this for the food for them and they obviously love it as they have bred and keep breeding and have survived.

Etoh, did you ever find any locally? These things get spoken for quickly, but I remember telling you once before that I had some for ya. If not, warm weather is coming and I can send ya some, let me know.

I just hooked up my 10 gallon (old) to the 20 everything is in now. The 10 has been covered in algae. Think it'll help to put a fair number of Cerith snails in the refugium? It's very deep substrate, some rock, 2 HOB filters and the heaters for the system. No macroalgae yet. The substrate and rocks are being seeded by the main tank right now. If all works out right, it'll become a big ol' filter. :)

RN

Originally posted by renichms

Think it'll help to put a fair number of Cerith snails in the refugium?

Anything is possible. What mine eat is the green algae that is hard to scrape off the glass and I purposely have a small low flow area for a touch a cyano as a treat. I have no macro in there, just a few rocks and sand.

My main tank is serparated into sections according to their flow amount and whether corals are on the bottom or rocks. The area with my brain coral is low flow on the sand, so think the side glass there will grow a lot of that kind of algae? It's set in a shelving unit where I can't see the side anyways. Oh, and the Cerith snails laid even MORE eggs right next to the first batch. Will they keep laying eggs for a while?

RN

My ceriths (and turbos..and astreas...and stomatellas) lay eggs constantly...I've got some baby turbos, baby ceriths, and a few small stomatellas around right now. The key is to just keep up good tank conditions and let nature take its course...;)

Cheers,

Fred

reef hugger

Angel- I have been wanting to try breeding cerith snails in a setup like what you have. I just have never gotten around to it. Now that I know it works, I will definately be setting it up soon.

BKtomodachi

I've had only nerites, cerinths, and tonga nassarius reproduce for me... the nerites bug me with their big hard single eggs though.

Entire first batch of eggs is gone. Second batch, laid right next to first, is still there in whole. Third batch, size of other two combined, has been laid on glass of tank. Is it possible the first batch hatched since they're ALL gone?

RN

Can stomatella snails suddenly show up in a tank? Like, can their eggs be in or on rocks and I not know about it then have them show up? Or can they hide inside a rock? I have a snail I JUST spotted that looks exactly like in the picture of the stomatella but all black.

RN

EDIT: Spotted a DEFINITE stomatella snail. If I've now seen 2, should I expect their numbers to continue to climb?

After hatching and being free-floating larvae, would cerith snails look like tiny white snails at the top of the glass? They are in the refugium, FAR above where the copepods stop crawling on the glass and have a spot on the glass that looks exactly like a snail's foot on the glass (seen under magnifying glass) with the rest hanging behind that spot. Is it possible these are baby cerith snails? Do they start off light in color then slowly gain it as they get bigger? My fully grown ones seem to add white around the mouth of their shells, then it turns dark over time. I hope these are snails...that'd be so awesome.

RN

With ceriths I don't usually notice until I see VERY tiny light-coloured conical-shaped shells crawling all over my glass. I just got a new batch in the other day (that is, I just noticed the babies the other day..lol), so now I've got literally dozens of little snails crawling all over my glass and sandbed..lol.

As far as Stomatellas go...I rarely notice their eggs. But every couple of weeks I notice one or two more small snails that weren't there before. And most of them come in on live rock, or live sand. Because most of the local reefers in my area trade sand every once in a while, most of our systems are crawling with them.

Cheers,

Fred

• 8 years later...
Pinishnogood

With ceriths I don't usually notice until I see VERY tiny light-coloured conical-shaped shells crawling all over my glass. I just got a new batch in the other day (that is, I just noticed the babies the other day..lol), so now I've got literally dozens of little snails crawling all over my glass and sandbed..lol.

As far as Stomatellas go...I rarely notice their eggs. But every couple of weeks I notice one or two more small snails that weren't there before. And most of them come in on live rock, or live sand. Because most of the local reefers in my area trade sand every once in a while, most of our systems are crawling with them.

Cheers,

Fred

Stomatellas squirt a cloudy mist into the water column correct? I was under the impression that these clouds were eggs being released.

Archived