Cultivated Reef

help on lighting. pls advise.

tyh

i have a nano tank (width 18inches) and plan to get some PC lights. how should i go about doing it? are there any of such sizes in the market? i'm thinking of a 50/50 set up.

also, what is a retrofitt? and a hood? eclipse??

and the cost =)

1st thing i'd recommend is to get a general reef book for some background info. that'll help you determine what kind of livestock you want to raise based upon your tank configuration. it'll also save you a lot of $$$ and time!

a retrofit is a lighting kit without a housing/canopy. a hood is typically defined as a lighting kit and a finished canopy as a complete unit. an eclipse is a partial or complete obscurement of the sun, typically by the moon. :P an Eclipse is a brand/product line of filters and pre-packaged aquariums.

check out some of the site's sponsors for typical brand names, marine depot has most everything. there's some threads regarding basic definitions and terms. there's another recent thread on recommended reef books, everyone has their own favorite.

printerdown01

Nicely put Tiny... I can't really add anything more.. soooo: bump

**oooh, ummm nevermind he got that too... in a round about way. I was going to say figure out what you want to keep in the tank, and then plan the lighting around that... but he got it with the book comment... niiiiiice man!

this thread gives me shivers. think "tank cycling" :( but maybe i'm looking too far in the future or maybe it's just me.:

Originally posted by tinyreef

typical brand names,  marine depot has most everything.  there's some threads regarding basic definitions and terms.  there's another recent thread on recommended reef books, everyone has their own favorite.

tyh, best wishes with the new tank; post pictures...i like pictures:|

Archived