Pod Your Reef

10gal Overheating

chip1964

I've just set up a 10gal. aga with 52 watts PC, an Aquaclear 150, a Maxi jet 400, and a Tronic 100 watt heater. For some reason the tank has been running at 80-82 degrees even at night with the lights out. I have the heater set at 76, and I can't imagine that the powerhead could be putting out that much heat.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

The light's. Also, is the tank covered ? is there a fan taking the heat off from the light's or top of the surface ? is the tank near a heater (if its on), and what is the room temp ? :)

The tank has a glass cover, there is no fan but I have the ballasts remotely mounted so they're not putting out much heat. The room temp is pretty constant around 75-77. What I don't get is the temp stays 80-82 even after the lights have been turned off for several hours. I've had the powehead and lights unplugged for about 3 hours just now and the tank is still at 80.

Originally posted by chip1964

The tank has a glass cover, there is no fan but I have the ballasts remotely mounted so they're not putting out much heat. The room temp is pretty constant around 75-77. What I don't get is the temp stays 80-82 even after the lights have been turned off for several hours. I've had the powehead and lights unplugged for about 3 hours just now and the tank is still at 80.

It will take a few hr's for it to reduce (coming from 82 to 80 in 3 hrs is good), and since the glass is covering the tank, there is no flow of air on the surface. This usually cool's the tank's temp. Are the light's resting on the glass ? Can you raise the light's, leave them on and take the glass off. Or, try putting a small table fan next to the tank blowing air over the top of the tank.

printerdown01

Does the glass cover have a plastic piece on the back (a long strip to cut in order to fit wires through ect)? If it does cut a corner out to allow for air movement. You will loose water to evaporation, but it is better than starving the tank of O2 . I'm not 100% sure that is the only problem though... If the temp doesn't drop to 76 F or close to it, your heater is probably a bit off. Don't turn the heater down until you can confirm that the temp doesn't drop to the 76 range... I would venture to guess that it is a little of both, gotta love multicausality.

I ran into a similar problem with my 10 when I first set it up during the summer. It would stay consistently higher than I wanted it even at night. This happened even when I had the place air conditioned at a comfortable level in the low to mid 70's. I just put a fan lightly blowing across the top, not even really pointing at the tank but just moving air above the tank. This took care of it in a hurry. You will occasionally have your heater turn on to keep the balance right if you have the air cooling too well (can just point the fan higher away) but it was very limited for me. Now that it is cold at night where I live I am going to set the fan to auto turn on/off with the lights so it doesn't cool the tank too much during the cold nights while also keeping the tank cool while the lights are on during the day.

printerdown01

LOL, well master of the obvious... sad I didn't even think of this.... Thermometers, like heaters, are not known for being incredibly accurate; although I don't think that it would be that inaccurate. You might want to borrow one from a friend (or somewhere else in your house, to have a 2nd reference...

always keep two thermometers imo. gives you the reference point and double-check printer mentions. in-tank glass ones are more accurate imo but you have to maintenance them (i.e. clean).

i place one in the 'shaded' portions of the tank (rear) and at least another in a lit region. i try to keep them in moderate flow areas. last couple of years i usually combine at least one liquid crystal 'stick-on' with an internal combo glass floater/hydrometer kept on opposite sides of the tank.

Archived