SaltCritters.com

Couple of Questions for The Brain Trust

ShibbyAV

Okay ive been looking into this for quite some time(setting up a nano reef in an old 10 gallon) and have come across some different opions on a couple of main points and was hoping you could sort out some things for me.

1. Lighting-How much do i really need for a 10 gallon. the rule says 5 watts per gallon i think, but that is for deeper tanks right? so do i need 50w of lights or less. i was thinking PC's to get the most bang for my buck what do you guys think of that?

2.Skimming-some people swear that you have to have it and others claim that by skimming you are taking away trace elements and nutrients and that you are doing more harm than good. What i want to know is 1 do i need it ?(looks to be a very costly addition) and 2 what kindtypesize?

I hope you guys can straiten me out

Personally, I think the protien skimmer thing is a matter of opinion. Also, Just a Thought, make sure you never used any medications in your 10 gallon before. Good Luck!

I thought that was in reference to copper meds. Assuming the tank was previously freshwater, it's pretty unlikely that copper was ever used, since most FW meds are either combinations of malachite green (which does not contain copper, contrary to popular belief) and formalin (formaldehyde), or antibiotics. The only FW copper medication I can think of is Mardel's CopperSafe.

For both of these questions, there will be different opinions, so I can only offer you mine. As far as lighting goes, the whole watts per gallon thing is a very rough guideline. First, you must decide what you intend on keeping, just mushrooms, or LPS, or clams, or SPS. I would definitely lean towards PCs, unless you intend to do an SPS tank. They are cheaper and more efficient, as well as less likely to give you problems with heat. For a 10 gal I would lean towards 2x32w pcs. This would give you plenty of options on what you can keep.

As far as skimming goes, yes it can and has been done successfully without a skimmer. If you go without a skimmer use plenty of live rock. With that being said, I do use a skimmer in my 20H. These are the reasons why, if something dies or goes wrong in a nano..it goes really wrong, really fast. The skimmer might buy you some time. I also see how much brownish/black crap it pulls out my water every week, and without it all that stuff would be in my water. With a skimmer it is easier to control nitrates. As far as the skimmer pulling out trace elements and nutrients, as well as others saying it sucks out some of the critters in your tank..IMO its all insubstantial BS. We all dose our tanks, and do weekly water changes, theres the replenishment of trace elements. As far as life goes in the tank, I only know from my experience, but I have seen an abundance of amphipods, copepod, limpets, worms, etc etc in my tank. So if the skimmer has had any detrimental effects, they have not been noticeable. But, do not misunderstand me, The skimmer is not essential. You can run a successful tank skimmerless, its just a little more risky. But as far as the skimmer being detrimental to the tank...well, its bull######.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to skim, check out Ebay, you can save yourself a bundle

Good luck

;)

Archived