SaltCritters.com

Urgent...Does sump with live rock need lighting?

Softice

Does a sump with live rock only need any lighting at all....?

Need advice urgently...as i am about to dismantle my tank due to some problem with plumbing. Thanks

due to some miss cal of the flow some problem occur after months...so i need to redesign the sump n stand...

in order to make the system to still working...the only way i have to do is move the tank to another stand first...but light would not be able to fit in the sump....(will leave the system there for sometime while i redesign the system again.)

i use to lit the sump....so i wonder i still need light in sump....thanks for advice...i will try move the system tomolo. the back external overflow is full of water at the moment...the water seems like will overflow at any moment....

i will try to lower the pump flow for time being for not letting it to overflow.

Thanks

I think if you have it lit now you should try to keep it lit. There are organisms that probably need light that are living on those rocks and putting in darkness may cause die off and a spike. If the current doesn't fit do you have something else that might?

hmmm....there are no micro algea or any type in it...but certainly there are snail...sand bed n live rock with some other very small

organisms , like brittle star etc....if thats the case...i will have it lit....someway till i finish the new design of the new set up then....

Because I am transferring to a larger tank, I have been keeping 10lbs of live sand , 15lbs of live rock , 4 turbos and 3 hermits in a rubbermaid sump for over 2 months with no light except for the light in the room on. Everthing in the sump is still doing fine. In fact some bubble algae that was on the rocks is still there doing fine also ....unfortunately!!

you can leave your sump unlit.

i've been doing that for the past two years in a couple of systems (nano and normal).

just as much (if not more imo) of the reefs are completely in the dark, permanently, as there are reefs in the daylight/surface. just like your tank shows lit side and dark side, top & bottom. there's probably more rock 'in the dark' than there is 'in the light'.

just consider the dark sump an underwater reef cave.

you can even be really fancy and call your dark sump a dark refugium. :P hth

Archived