Innovative Marine Aquariums

How were you first introduced to nano reefs?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i worked for an lfs and never really saw a nano. we had a 750 gallon and a 300 at the store that i worked on and maintained so i figured i could do it on a small scale. this was when everyone said it couldnt be done. i dont think this website existed because i couldnt find anything on small reef tanks on the web. custom sealife jsut came out with the 32w retro and i saw it fit into the stock minibow hood. it was on from there, that was over 6 years ago

My husband had been doing research for his 75 gallon discus tank (which turned out to be a 75 gallon Lake Malawi cichild tank lol) In passing he said, "They've got this thing called 'nano reefs'. You should check it out." Three days later I'd purchased my equipment :D

(He won't admit it, but my husband is insanely jealous that my bitsy 5.5g nano outshines his dream tank lol)

my wife wanted a cute clownfish and an anemone.... i read books and articles, saw this site, and told her "honey we can get the clownfish but not the anemone...how about a xenia?"

I wanted to create my own Micro-Universe, researched all areas of reference and decided a NanoCube was an easy start. Came across Nano-reef.com in my research. Alot of very intellegent, friendly, helpful members to call upon if a problem devolops. Its a challange, but the rewards are great. Always something new to deal with. Always something new to see in the tank.

ya...just like bigbenji...i must have searched for "small saltwater tank" or somthing like that on a search engine and got to nano-reef...and well i guess that was my intro to nanos

My grandfather was on his last weeks with his battle with lung cancer. We took him to the aquarium of the Pacific, and I was touched by how much enjoyment a dying man got from watching the fish. I started up my nano with the hopes of setting it up for him, but time ran out.

Kinda funny how the road of life takes you down unexpected twists and turns. As the CEO of my own little software firm, I had some extra time on my hands, and boom.. Nanocustoms.com was born.

This is definately an addiction.

My fiance and I were bouncing around on the net pricing stuff for a 75 gallon freshwater setup. We found Petsolutions website and saw the JBJ nano cube, at which point we became interested in a reef tank. I've kept marine fish before, had a 30L fowdcs ( fish only with dead coral skeletons) but never a reef tank. After a few more google searches on the nanocube we found this site. It's been full speed ahead ever since. We now have a 30g oceanic cube, 175 watt mh lighting that should be up and running in a month. Sometimes I think she's more into it than me, she even bought me a book on marine inverbrates for Valentines day.

It was quite a few years ago i wanted to start a reef but didnt have the money so i was wondering if i could start a small one and the research has been going on from then. This site is just the best that i have ever seen on small reef tanks (Nano).

Is it just me or are half of the people on this thread answering how they got into nano reefs, and the other half answering how they found this site. I voted other on how I got into nano reefs, just because I just wanted a saltwater tank, and I didn't wanna spend $600 and find out I didn't like it. So I went cheap and slowly went more expensive as I liked it more. How I found nano-reef.com was from a pm from a friend of mine in our local club's forum.

• 3 months later...

I started off with asian arowanas, but then it got boring and I couldn't do much but feed them, then I saw a nano cube at a LFS and was amazed

• 4 weeks later...

That "Marine Aquarium" ScreenSaver from Seren Screen got me. My boss had a copy of it and he let me load it onto my office computer. That was probably the worst move he could have made. I spent more time staring at my stupid monitor than actually doing my work. After a few days, I knew I had to have a real reef.

cackalufabogus

I had a small tank laying around and thought "that'd make a cute little marine tank" Then someone mentioned it was called a nano reef and I googled :)

Archived