Innovative Marine Aquariums

20 gallon Mantis tank,incredible story

petkid51

I am planning on setting up a 20 gallon mantis tank. Its a 20 long, so im thinking of using dark acrylic and sepperating it down the middle. Im thinking of putting N. wennerae in there. I am going to drill holes in the top of the acrylic for circulation, and use a power head to assure circulation. What do you think?

Now for the incredible story. What is the last thing you would expect to beat the stuffing out of a Mantis? The following is a true story from grim reefers mantis forum:

I have a Hawiian yellow hairy hermit whos name is Brutis. He is huge,his home is a 8" conk shell. .Anyway the oyher day I got a peice of LR that weights 27lbs. I put the rock in Brutis's tank which is a 40 gal tall.I was watching to see what would come out of the rock,after a couple of hours I seen a couple of worms and 2 little porclen crabs and then these 2big eys appered out of this hole,and then appered this big green mantis.Well he spoted Brutis and made a dash for him which was a bad mistake on his part.Brutis took off part of his tail. The shrimp made a dash for the hole he came out of and Brutis in hot persuite of him.Well he made it to his den .It has been 2 days now and Brutis is standing guard in front of the hole. I guess he is waiting for the mantis to come out.I don"t know if the mantis is still alive or not.

The story or the tank? The guy later updated that there is an on going war between the hermit and mantis. The hermit is missing two legs but it snatched one of the mantis shrimps raptoral apendages. Ive got to check up on that thread...

• 3 weeks later...

petkid glad to see you are finally planning your tank. I just recently bought a 15 gal acrylic on ebay for an N Wenn. good luck and pm me when you get started.

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Prunfarm, do you live in Vegas. I do, if you want a mantis shrimp I have one in my tank that came on some live rock. The fish store down my road wont' take it, do you want to trade.

Archived