Pod Your Reef

Auto Top off JBJ nano cube

aaronfmd

I want a top off w/o cutting or drilling my 12 gal JBJ nano cube. Top off switch from here. I want to run a small line from a pump into the tank where the cord enters the tank. How can i reduce the size of the hose from the normal size coming out of a pump to a tiny one, like air hose size? Any other thoughts on this system? Also, I would like to use regular gallon jugs to top off with, does anyone know of a small pump that isn't submurged that I could mount ouside of the jug and run an intake like through the lid of the jug? Thanks.

If you check out the Aqualifter pumps I think they will fit the bill for what you are looking for. They look like an airpump but are designed to pump liquid. They are also set up to use airline tubing for hoses. They are available from www.drsfostersmith.com and www.petsolutions.com . They are probably available at other vendors but I have seen them on both sites. HTH, Skip

Man that is awesome. I'm going to order a float switch from floatswitches.com one of those pumps, and an extention cord. I'll just poke a hole in the top of the gallon of DI water, run the tube in the gallon, and under the hood of my tank. Should be perfect. And all for like $15. Thanks for your help.

Awesome idea! I think i'll need to try this out too. I have been searching for an auto top off for my nano cube for months, and this seems like it will work. Thanks skipm for the idea! and aaronfmd for posting this and getting an answer (I never got a good answer).

Yeah, I contacted the guy from Californiareefs.com to make me a prototype with only airline tubing...he never got back to me -.-...I think I will have to do it myself. I saw one of those pumps at my LFS...

It's like an air pump...so it's external from your water source. But it has 2 holes that you stick airline tubing into...one for in the other for out. You just stick the right tube in the right tub and plug it into the float switch and you should be set. However, I do my water changes 2x a week about 10% coz I run my HOT Magnum 2x a week and require me to pour my water in there...so I just do changes when I do that and I'm finding that the need for an auto top off is starting to decline. Oh well...my evaporation isn't that bad anyway...but I guess when I get lazy...errm...lazier...

Let me know if you can't find that pump though, I can inquire with my LFS.

I think this is the one he is talking about: Here although there is a better picture of the pump itself here I was also thinking of a safety switch for the pump. 2 float switches: Splice one the normal way, but the other wire, splice in a float switch and mount it upside down an inch or so above the original. That way, when the water got too high, it would lift the bobber and BREAK contact and shut off the pump. I'm sure someone has thought of this before me, so there must be a problem with it. I'm just really scared of the thing filling my tank and overflowing while I'm out. Worst case, the second one would fail and then it would be like it wasn't even there.

• 4 weeks later...

Do not mount the float switchs in the sumps unless you pull out the foam/any filters you have. Otherwise, the main tank can backup and overflow while the sump indicates it is low.

i have my water level pretty high, and i haven't had any problems for 2 weeks. the only thing that came close to a problem was i had a sock in the bottom of chamber two (for chemipure)that started to clog it up a little. I just put one of the stock sponges in the bottome, chemipure on top of that, and it fixed the problem.

Originally posted by aaronfmd

i have my water level pretty high, and i haven't had any problems for 2 weeks.  the only thing that came close to a problem was i had a sock in the bottom of chamber two (for chemipure)that started to clog it up a little.  I just put one of the stock sponges in the bottome, chemipure on top of that, and it fixed the problem.

Your water level really wont matter much. You just need to make sure that the sump level does not go awry of the tank level. If you restrict inlet feed to the point were the sump goes into any kind of a deficit, the auto-topoff will proceed to drain your supply tank into the main tank and your floor. I would say drill an internal overflow from the main tank back to the sump. If you have a sump light, just put an elbow on the sump side of the overflow

Archived